Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 248275 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1275 on: February 11, 2018, 07:01:12 pm »

I just find it amusing what sorts of things the various algorithms think they can sell me on today. I'm pretty sure it thinks I'm female, or is hedging its bets.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: February 11, 2018, 07:14:53 pm »

For me its usually hot singles in my area.  Some random, oddly specific dating sites.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 12, 2018, 03:18:38 am »

Well, I mean, recaptcha already makes use of the little micro-movements and speed variations we make when trying to do something like smoothly slide a cursor over and click things/type gibberish because robots aren't good at faking it as easily as we do it naturally.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: February 12, 2018, 09:59:09 am »

SFAICT, reCAPTCHA does not intercept mouse movements (or stylus/finger-strikes on touchscreens) and is purely using the results of the "human OCR" (on carefully selected and optically munged scans) vs other hOCRs and its own sourcing ones (on the original un-munged, if questionable, scantext).

That has been augmented with NoCAPTCHA that reduces the number of reCAPTCHA requests for those for whom cookie-tracking/etc has already established a reasonable probability of the interacting agent having human-like habits behind it.

But I don't think there's been any word on using onMouseOver() data grabs at the same time to discriminate which form of digital interaction (X vs Y). Unless you mean a rival setup - who then don't seem even to be doing anything useful (unless its provide much verified entropy for a /dev/random stream?) unlike the service it seems reCAPTCHA provides to make electronic image analyses of various kinds more accurate through confirmation/correction and/or training.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:01:10 am by Starver »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 12, 2018, 02:09:50 pm »

I could swear it was using stuff like where we click and whatnot?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: February 12, 2018, 02:36:12 pm »

I might be out of the loop, but I think that it's a different CAPTCHAer that does that, if any. And it seems like a good method when trained, but that's a more prolonged period than the basic reCAPTCHA principle that gets quicker across the "faking it" boundary, or pre-release volunteer kick-starting phase.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 12, 2018, 03:01:37 pm »

Perhaps, I thought the bit with the "select pictures of cars" involved failing inputs where it was smack in the middle of each square because people just don't do that sort of thing? Though that may have been from an article about discussing how captcha could get smarter or more efficient, been a while, heck it's only recently that 4chan was forced to ditch the old "DESPERA 1789" captcha types.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 13, 2018, 08:50:57 am »

YouTube and Instagram have received an ultimatum from the Russian authorities. If they do not remove videos, before tomorrow, in which opposition leader Navalny accuses vice premier Sergej Prichodko of corruption, and any links pointing to Navalny's research, YouTube and Instagram will be blocked from Russia.

not sure if this is the video in question, or an older corruption research video made by Navalny, I can't speak Russian, but this is the video linked by my newspaper.
https://youtu.be/Jv0fp5KpKhs
https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/rusland-stelt-youtube-en-instagram-ultimatum-voor-verwijderen-video-oppositieleider-navalny~a4569357/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:08:52 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 13, 2018, 12:45:16 pm »

The autotranslated text is surprisingly readable. Basically, a corrupt official is displeased that an investigation into his having underage girl prostitutes at his home, and that he routinely accepts bribes and basically "owns" a city financially, and has pulled out all the stops to hush the story.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 13, 2018, 01:58:42 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43030677

interesting beeb story, and a news site seems to have finally gotten a mostly-accurate description of Bitcoin
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 15, 2018, 12:18:33 pm »

http://news.mit.edu/2018/chip-neural-networks-battery-powered-devices-0214

MIT makes a dedicated neural network chip that reduces the power needed by about 95%, which makes the tech feasible for a handheld device.

The actual way they did this is a pretty clever trick. A main part of the NN process is computing the dot product of two vectors (the inputs and the weights for a particular node), so what they did was to build a memory chip that has hard-wired circuitry that calculates dot products for you, right inside the memory chip, without you needing to shunt values in and out of memory through a serial CPU.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:20:44 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 15, 2018, 12:37:30 pm »

Sounds like they reinvented computational ram to me...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_RAM

Which was itself, a child of an older paradigm, memputing, which was used back in the old vacuum tube days-- (where the memory elements themselves were capable of performing various logic operations without the need for a CPU at all.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: February 16, 2018, 06:03:57 am »

Facebook/Instagram gave in to the Russian demands and blocked videos and links to anti-corruption material from Navalny.

So far, YouTube is not complying though, so expect YouTube to be banned in Russia.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/russian-opposition-leader-slams-instagram-for-caving-in-to-the-government/2018/02/15/fddd06da-1247-11e8-9570-29c9830535e5_story.html?utm_term=.53057c1d71e2
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 16, 2018, 10:01:19 am »

So is that guy just straight up not allowed to run for president?

Edit: Read more about him. I like the idea of him being a champion for justice but all the things he says sound like echoes of Trump. “Fake news”, “false charges”, etc. I guess it’s hard to push against the mainstream.

... so is there like a super informative post on the Russian politics thread somewhere?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:14:01 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 158