Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 248304 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1425 on: April 11, 2018, 01:56:29 am »

Hell Joe, jus' pop a linnux thingmabob in'air an' blow at sheet away. Damn Microsarft outoupdatin' 'n sheet. Ain't got a lick o sense in em. Half da time, dey's pushin drivers as is half busted 'n sheet. Bluescreen'n 'n worse all o'er de damn place. Naow's deys pushin crapwar all o'er. Just put some'um in dere as what respects user privacy 'n sheet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: April 11, 2018, 02:40:50 am »

At'll doo-et.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: April 12, 2018, 03:25:56 am »

Windows just notified me that it had installed some photo app that was already busy scanning my hard drive and collecting albums from the pictures I had saved. A quick look at their store showed that I'm not the only one upset about this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Microsoft has become the Donald Trump of operating systems, forcing it's own people to pay for crap that makes no sense and nobody ever wanted.
Windows 10, I presume?

Free cheese...
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: April 12, 2018, 03:27:30 am »

Microsoft is just not hip, and is floundering about trying to #MeToo with #AppStore.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: April 12, 2018, 04:24:38 am »

Microsoft is just not hip, and is floundering about trying to #MeToo with #AppStore.

Wut?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: April 12, 2018, 05:25:29 am »

Wut?

Too obscure?

#MeToo + Microsoft's cluelessness about how putting things into other things without permission is wrong + Apple's AppStore + Microsoft's futile desire to emulate it.

Slightly less obscure?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1431 on: April 12, 2018, 05:32:42 am »

Ever since Bill Gates stopped being CEO of Microsoft it's been stuck in a battle between marketing people and the developers for what direction to take things. Balmer was full-on about marketing, which was horrible, whilst the new CEO seems to be trying to balance it a bit better.

As a result, the Microsoft development stack is actually quite pleasant to work with nowadays. They've decided to open source loads and and even to give really good support for using Microsoft's tools to build software for Linux of all things (.NET Core, Typescript, Docker support...), and are starting to pull marketing's fingers off the trigger somewhat, but occasionally the Balmer-era fuckery still slip through the cracks on the consumer side.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:35:16 am by MorleyDev »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: April 12, 2018, 05:42:38 am »

It really isn't that hard.

Dont install things behind people's back. System security updates are one thing--- dodgey drivers are totally another, and pushing dogfood user apps is flat out obscene and practically rape.  You know that antitrust thing you enjoyed in the past? This is the kind of shit that it was over. It's as if they are incapable of understanding it is something they are not allowed to do.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1433 on: April 12, 2018, 05:49:35 am »

I once worked at a company where one of the Sales people thought the difference between Goose and Geese was that Geese lay eggs. My expectations of people from that side of businesses are quite low as a result :)

Then again this is the same company where one of the Product Managers asked me if the Sun was bigger than the stars since it looks bigger, so maybe I shouldn't treat that as standard xD
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 05:55:00 am by MorleyDev »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: April 12, 2018, 11:35:55 am »

I once worked at a company where one of the Sales people thought the difference between Goose and Geese was that Geese lay eggs. My expectations of people from that side of businesses are quite low as a result :)

Then again this is the same company where one of the Product Managers asked me if the Sun was bigger than the stars since it looks bigger, so maybe I shouldn't treat that as standard xD
Well I guess technically you might need Geese to lay fertile eggs. Goose and Gander would be the proper terms though for male and female geese.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1435 on: April 12, 2018, 12:13:45 pm »

And the Sun is technically bigger than some of the stars. I don't think either of them put that much thought into it. The Sun one did lead to everyone else in the room basically re-enacting a scene from Father Ted though. So that was fun.

You know, I say I shouldn't take my experience at that company as standard but then I remember that one of the salespeople at another place I worked asked "Are Catholics and Christians different religions?" so I'm starting to doubt that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:20:03 pm by MorleyDev »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: April 12, 2018, 12:27:55 pm »

HR at a past company I worked for sent out a global email, during the run-up to one Christmas, reminding everybody that when considering sending seasonal cards out to clients (at least as all round the world as the company was) that any they do send must be non-secular. They meant secular/non-religious, of course, and had to hastily reglobally mail everyone to make that clear. ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: April 13, 2018, 01:21:36 am »

You mean my Krampus cards I spent so much money and planning time on, CAN'T BE SENT!?  Oh, Come ON! :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: April 13, 2018, 11:17:52 am »

You mean my Krampus cards I spent so much money and planning time on, CAN'T BE SENT!?  Oh, Come ON! :P
Rebrand Krampus as a cultural instead of religious character. Problem solved.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: April 13, 2018, 10:48:07 pm »

Somehow I doubt US Human Resources will buy:
"These are for our Germanic and Scandinavian clients-- they should get a real hoot out of them!"

Especially since, well--- they feature Krampus doing what Krampus does best- kidnapping and eating horrible little children. :P
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 158