Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 247995 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #1680 on: October 18, 2018, 03:21:00 pm »

We kick and shove them, and they dance for us?

Gods above and priests below the robots are going to murder us all when they wake up.

It was inevitable.

Will there be refreshments?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrh_Axpg9Ns&t=6m52s

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: October 18, 2018, 05:48:23 pm »

What is that garbage? notFem!Shep=crap!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 18, 2018, 05:52:02 pm »

Fembot though....

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 19, 2018, 06:53:18 pm »

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181018151044.htm

Like fingerprints, no 3D printer is exactly the same. That's the takeaway from a new study that describes what's believed to be the first accurate method for tracing a 3D-printed object to the machine it came from. The advancement could help law enforcement and intelligence agencies track the origin of 3D-printed guns, counterfeit products and other goods.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 19, 2018, 06:56:56 pm »

If they are looking for wobble differences (from stepper motors), then incorporation of a simple thermal resistor on the printer, and allowing a variable temperature in the printing room, will make this fingerprinting method very shady.

:P

(A stepper motor is usually what is used in cheaper SLA based printers. It works by having two energized sets of coil windings working against each other, with subtle modulation of one or both currents into the motor causing the motor to move one way or the other in fixed increments.  By introducing a randomly variable source of noise into the current regulation for both sets of windings in the stepper motors, you will change how responsive the motor is, and how likely it is to "drift" a little on move commands. This will cause the infill patterns they are citing to become HIGHLY variable, based on ambient temperature of the build room.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:02:16 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: October 26, 2018, 01:40:11 am »

OK--

The library of congress has implemented a MUCH needed exemption to the DMCA, granting radical new authority for end users to hack their devices for the purposes of maintenance and repair.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xw9bwd/1201-exemptions-right-to-repair

(I am sure the trumpists will be all over this like flies on shit though.)

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: February 19, 2019, 05:58:32 am »

(I am sure the trumpists will be all over this like flies on shit though.)

Why would they?  I didn't get the impression they were especially big fans of big tech companies and company copyright in general.
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: February 19, 2019, 12:08:10 pm »

I think the point was that they'll be all against the exemption (and Big Gubmint, stopping the everyday grassroots Tycoon from doing their God-given rights to capitalism)? But this being a little bit necroed maybe someone can find follow-up news to indicate any actual reactions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: February 19, 2019, 12:15:50 pm »

I think the point was that they'll be all against the exemption (and Big Gubmint, stopping the everyday grassroots Tycoon from doing their God-given rights to capitalism)? But this being a little bit necroed maybe someone can find follow-up news to indicate any actual reactions.
But this is the automation thread; can't we get a bot to do that?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 19, 2019, 12:25:34 pm »

If they are looking for wobble differences (from stepper motors), then incorporation of a simple thermal resistor on the printer, and allowing a variable temperature in the printing room, will make this fingerprinting method very shady.

:P
Pretty sure it will be useless once people start 3D-printing their own 3D-printer parts. If any of the variables that determines the "fingerprint" is a piece of replaceable (and possibly 3D-printable) hardware, then it's not going to be accurate in the long run. The reverse-engineering of that error propagation would be a nightmare.

A "fingerprint" is only useful if it never changes.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: February 19, 2019, 12:26:33 pm »

Oh.  Didn't check the date.  Whoops.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 19, 2019, 12:43:16 pm »

We're just really bad at keeping this thread alive. This and the science thread.

Which should really tell you something, but I refuse to learn anything from this situation.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: February 19, 2019, 12:55:50 pm »

Well, while I'm necroing anyway-

I think the point was that they'll be all against the exemption (and Big Gubmint, stopping the everyday grassroots Tycoon from doing their God-given rights to capitalism)?

Surely the libertarian, anti-big goverment position is to abolish copyright entirely?  It's government regulation backed by force.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: February 19, 2019, 01:15:55 pm »

It is.  If you like copyright, IP, or corporations youre not libertarian and should turn in your yellowsnek bumper sticker
Shoes...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 19, 2019, 01:57:42 pm »

Not wishing go go Political, in this thread but "save me from Oppressive Government by the Government oppressively enforcing <measure> upon everyone else" is selective Libertarianism at best. And par for the course.

As to Bot automation, they can be forgiven for being unsubtle, but then it seems lazy* humans didn't properly review the automated decisions.   (* - having heard people speak about being manual reviewers of questionable material, it's more likely unwillingness to spend more time exposing themselves to more of the same of what they fear it will be, and trust the algorithm with a click rather than definitively divine its innocence.)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 02:13:59 pm by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 158