Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 248247 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #2190 on: July 04, 2020, 07:59:51 am »

Inb4 that scene at the start of Robocop (#2?).

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: July 04, 2020, 08:02:10 am »

Inb4 that scene at the start of Robocop (#2?).
What scene?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: July 04, 2020, 09:06:29 am »

He's referring to this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4ZYOBzEEs
thanks. I’d imagine something like this would need a list of allowed drivers to prevent it from killing the owner/family members/friends etc.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: July 04, 2020, 04:13:10 pm »

It should be illegal to sell thing that aren't services "as a service".

The "service" is that they don't remotely cut off the service.

Right, and it should be illegal. Complete with some kind of painful disincentive.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: July 06, 2020, 02:11:14 am »

I’d be surprised if many customers approve of this shit. I fully expect them to backflip once the complaints start flooding in. Why risk a $40,000+ sale to make a few hundred bucks? Someone will get sacked over this. Probably not the idiot responsible, though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: July 06, 2020, 02:48:58 am »

It's NOT "just a few hundred bucks."

It is entirely to lock out 3rd party repair, 3rd party parts, and 3rd party service (like software).  This is the John Deere model, only for consumers instead of farmers.

The industry will leverage its "victories" over right-to-repair to ram this shit though, and then your luxury car will be an even bigger luxury item, because the cost to keep it road worthy will bankrupt your pocketbook.

This little move can end up making those asshats millions of extra dollars every year.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: July 06, 2020, 03:11:39 am »

It's NOT "just a few hundred bucks."

It is entirely to lock out 3rd party repair, 3rd party parts, and 3rd party service (like software).  This is the John Deere model, only for consumers instead of farmers.

The industry will leverage its "victories" over right-to-repair to ram this shit though, and then your luxury car will be an even bigger luxury item, because the cost to keep it road worthy will bankrupt your pocketbook.

This little move can end up making those asshats millions of extra dollars every year.

But will it? BMWs aren’t *that* luxurious, while the cars that actually *are* would never attempt shit like this because they know it’ll damage customer experience. I expect they’ll simply lose market share to Audi/Lexus/Tesla or whoever and everyone will look back at this as an example of what *not* to do in brand management 101.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: July 06, 2020, 03:52:50 am »

Dont be so sure.  The automotive industry has wanted to kill 3rd party service for *DECADES*

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: July 10, 2020, 03:06:59 am »

Considering that complete mosquito genocide would, very unfortunately, negatively impact many ecosystems, what would be a good way to stop them from being a threat/great annoyance to humanity?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: July 10, 2020, 03:07:29 am »

Not having blood anymore.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: July 10, 2020, 03:28:06 am »

Introduce a new symbiotic microbe that actively kills pathogenic ones.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: July 10, 2020, 03:40:33 am »

I wouldn't want to introduce any new microbes, since they can and will start being spread into other things.

Considering that complete mosquito genocide would, very unfortunately, negatively impact many ecosystems, what would be a good way to stop them from being a threat/great annoyance to humanity?

Seriously there are so many different projects involving mosquitoes going on. Here's just the first one I googled but there are at least several dozen different mosquito engineering projects going on.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/02/20/693735499/scientists-release-controversial-genetically-modified-mosquitoes-in-high-securit

Generally the idea is to use a gene drive to spread a gene in the target population. To give a simplified idea of how this works, it uses a system called CRISPR that they discovered in bacteria to copy genes. A copy of CRISPR can be designed to detect a specific sequence of DNA, and replace it with a different sequence.

The real trick here is that the sequence you're inserting can contain the DNA for the entire CRIPSR system itself. So, in normal genetics you get 1 gene from the mother and one from the father. However if you get one of the genes as a CRISPR version, it can then scan the other chromosome and if the non-edited version of the gene is there, it removes it and replaces it with a copy of CRISPR plus whatever other genes you wanted as a payload.

So, a CRISPR gene drive can force its way through the population, even if the mutation itself is detrimental to the survival of the organism. Normally genes get weeded out if they lower the survival rate of the organisms they inhabit, through survival of the fittest. However, since a CRISPR gene drive can just over-write copies of the original gene entirely, it effectively rigs the dice. So, say you had a gene for mosquitoes that causes them to attack the malaria parasite, and normally this would be a bit costly for the mosquito (slightly lower survival rate) which is why they don't do it now, then if you edited the mosquitoes with that gene and let them loose, the gene would die out in a few generations. However, if you couple that with a CRISPR gene drive, then the new gene will spread and take over, even though the affected mosquitoes themselves have slightly worse survival rates than otherwise.

Once someone has the gene drive working as intended in mosquitoes, then there are several possible ideas. One is to spread genes that prevent them carrying the malaria parasite, another is to flip the sex of all the mosquitoes to male (less eggs that way) another would be to engineer them to not like biting humans. The gene drive is really the delivery system and what it delivers is up to what we can think up.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:44:02 am by Reelya »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: July 10, 2020, 11:29:51 am »

Ideally we'd find a way to make them just uninterested in humans, but I have to wonder if we even have an idea of how to do that.  Presumably there are species of mosquito that don't bite humans and we can probably do genetic analysis to try to figure out why, but I'm betting it won't be straightforward.  Genetic changes to suppress malaria and other diseases will probably be a lot more feasible.  I'm betting a single protein change would do that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: July 10, 2020, 12:09:06 pm »

How about we just prevent the females from drinking any blood? Can they still reproduce on just nectar?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 158