Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 3: GAME OVER(about time, too).  (Read 75805 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 3(11/11): Day 1: Nobody Dead
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2018, 11:57:47 pm »

What does this mean for your team?
This is an excellent example of the kind of question I would ignore. What is even the relevance of it? What is it supposed to mean? It's vaguely leading without having any purpose, and the potential space of answers is infinite, yet none of those infinite answers would matter. I could spend a few minutes of my life trying to formulate a response carefully tailored to convey something useful and hope it's interpreted in the manner in which I intended it (a rare feat in human communication), but it's just not worth it.

If my team is so terrible that they cannot cope with selective answering, then they're terrible enough that we're going to lose no matter what I do, and we'll probably deserve it. I'd like to think that isn't the case.
Seems more like something on your part with direct communication. :P I've worked with a lot of backgrounds in areas where communication is vital, and while the impression is true of 'bad communication' usually leading to misunderstandings and otherwise, that's diverging from the point of communication; an answer is better than none. It also shows respect to the other person too.

How do you scumhunt in a way to work with your team?

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2018, 12:32:08 am »

Sorry about my absence for the past 24 hours or so. I had some personal obligations I needed to take care of. I will try to answer as many questions as I can with the limited time and energy I have left for today. Then sometime tomorrow, I'll finish up.

Maximum Spin
Maximum Spin
I had a question for you here.
You sure did!

I don't always answer just any question, you know. :P

But here, in return, I will precommit to answer one (1) question from you, the next that you ask, truthfully.
Are you scum?  :P
Okay, but seriously, why didn't you want to answer that question?

Tiruin
How does Affably Evil sound like a nerf to scum (when the trope's lower sections tell it's not?)

When I originally read the article, a few statements stuck out to me:
They are sometimes comedic or a Well-Intentioned Extremist who really believes that they are right. More often than not, they are a form of Anti-Villain because a straight villain wouldn't easily be so genuinely good-natured
That was my basis for thinking Affably Evil villians were "lesser" villians, and thus the trope's effect could be a nerf to the scum. There were also several tropes listed under "Compare Tropes" that seemed to support the idea of a villian with restraint or limitations (eg. Even Evil Has Standards). It sounded like Affably Evil villians were generally low-tier villians in a story, overshadowed by the true Big Bad. By that logic, if we consider the scum in this game as the "Big Bad", then making them Affably Evil would be a downgrade.

However, after rereading the article and looking at some of the examples, I'm starting to think that my initial interpretation might be wrong.  :-\ Some of the examples fit what I expected, but others definitely don't. There are villians listed under Western Animation that are seasonal Big Bads (eg. Zaheer from Legend of Korra) who are both powerful and important to the story. So, the Affably Evil trope is riskier than I thought.
Trope Unvote. When I get time, I'll look through the tropes again and pick something else.

2. I agree with you that there are at least 2 scum. There were 2 scum in the two previous FBYOR games, so it makes sense for it to be the same here. The only difference is that we have 11 players in this game instead of 9, so perhaps there's also a third party or two in this game. Based on the way my role powers are worded, I feel that there is at least one other person with a killing power, in addition to the scum.
Instantaneously saying 'third party' over '3 scum'? o_O What's up with that?
There could be 3 scum. I was just inclined to believe that there were other people with killing abilities in addition to the scum, based on the description of how my role powers work and what situations the powers fail in. Though, I suppose that since neither of the past two games had third parties, it would be consistent if FOU didn't include any in this game either. If that's the case, then there may be situations where the scum are capable of killing 2 people in a single night, or several townies may also have killing powers.

notquitethere
After reading previous Fallacy games, what insights do you (have) as to how this one might go down?
I don't have very many. Aside from both previous games having 2 mafia and 7 townies, the two games went pretty differently. Abilities in both games differed wildly as well, so anything could happen here.
I do think there will be multiple kills each night and perhaps even people with revival abilities. At least, that's what I'm speculating based on my role and how the game might be balanced around it.

I think those are all the questions I found for me on page 6. If I missed one, let me know. I'll do page 7[PPE:..and 8] questions tomorrow when I'm less tired.

PPE: 11 New replies... I'm seeing quite a few votes being thrown around, but I'll take a closer look at current events when I post tomorrow.
Insert witty signature here

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2018, 12:52:09 am »

Are you scum?  :P
Okay, but seriously, why didn't you want to answer that question?
I will be generous and answer both truthfully:
1) No. I know what you're thinking, "you'd say that anyway", but, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't. If I were mafia, I would just not have offered to answer a question truthfully, in case it might give something away.
2) Because I don't believe in "RVS". I consider it foolish. As you can no doubt see, I don't generally feel the need to play along with this whole unproductive business.
There could be 3 scum. I was just inclined to believe that there were other people with killing abilities in addition to the scum, based on the description of how my role powers work and what situations the powers fail in.
Roles are usually written in a general way to avoid giving you information about that kind of thing.
I do think there will be multiple kills each night and perhaps even people with revival abilities. At least, that's what I'm speculating based on my role and how the game might be balanced around it.
I am quite confident that that is true.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2018, 01:07:36 am »

I mean... I hate rvs too, but it's a given in mafia. You aren't really helping by acting like this. Yeah it's silly, but you're basically a distraction at this point.

And the main question is: are you willing to distract town just because you aren't fond of questions? And don't say "oh town should know better" because at this point, no one knows anything and some people might want to lynch you for being a hindrance regardless of whether you're town.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2018, 01:30:43 am »

I mean... I hate rvs too, but it's a given in mafia.
It's actually not. We had much better earlygame at the last place I used to play.

That said, you're completely misunderstanding. GigaGiant's question was "What do you think is the best way to use your vote during the RVS stage?", which I could not answer because it doesn't make sense to me. The best way to use your vote at any time in the game is to find and lynch mafia. Because I don't believe in "RVS", I have no answer to that specific question.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2018, 04:58:50 pm »

I mean... I hate rvs too, but it's a given in mafia.
It's actually not. We had much better earlygame at the last place I used to play.

That said, you're completely misunderstanding. GigaGiant's question was "What do you think is the best way to use your vote during the RVS stage?", which I could not answer because it doesn't make sense to me. The best way to use your vote at any time in the game is to find and lynch mafia. Because I don't believe in "RVS", I have no answer to that specific question.
Then you could have answered "I don't think random voting is a good idea".
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2018, 05:07:26 pm »

To tell the truth, no one can truly vote at random so at first glance it doesn't really make a lot of sense. How can you confirm that they did indeed vote at random?
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2018, 05:08:38 pm »

It's a rhetorical question BTW. I wasn't asking anyone in particular about RVS.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2018, 05:19:36 pm »

Now... If you had just openly stated your opinion rather than dodging questions and messing around, this could have been avoided and we could be actually hunting scum, assuming you're not.

And perhaps my view of mafia is skewed because most of my experiences have included some sort of rvs bit, even irl mafia. I haven't played on other forums, so where you come it might be different.

That being said, Maximum
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2018, 07:13:39 pm »

First of all, votecount please.

Secondly, I hoped you wouldn't do this Maximum. This is exactly the kind of thing that got us suspicious of you last game. Now I still think that you're town, based on the fact that you acted this way last game, but you're making it really hard.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2018, 07:35:36 pm »

Secondly, I hoped you wouldn't do this Maximum.
Funnily enough, I hoped that after seeing it once, people wouldn't find the basic concept of "not answering every single question" so foundationally disturbing and confounding.

You (general) do realise that there's no rational reason why this would correlate with being mafia at all, right? And also, possibly, that transparently and openly ignoring some questions is not the same as "dodging" them? And maybe somewhere along the line, that words like "dodgy" and "shifty" have an actual meaning that this is not any of?

Seems more like something on your part with direct communication. :P I've worked with a lot of backgrounds in areas where communication is vital, and while the impression is true of 'bad communication' usually leading to misunderstandings and otherwise, that's diverging from the point of communication; an answer is better than none. It also shows respect to the other person too.
This one was especially vexing, because I find you completely incomprehensible. When I ignore your questions, it's not usually because I have no particular interest in the question per se, but because it struck me as total word salad. I like you well enough that I wanted to avoid saying as much, but, well, here we are. The thing is, 99% of the time, when something is ambiguous and incomprehensible, most people just make assumptions and carry on with their lives instead of bothering to ask of clarify, and then they just carry away their own radically different misinterpretations of the thing without ever sparing a second thought for the fact that someone else might have taken it differently. Most of the time you never even find out that it happened, because the effects are subtle and pernicious. This has probably happened to you and to everyone here many times before.

Anyway, I'd rather switch out than see my excellent role go to waste.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2018, 08:15:01 pm »

PFP for the day.
Anyway, I'd rather switch out than see my excellent role go to waste.
sigh...
You won't even bother hearing the other side. The whole point of RVS is like the neutral stage in a fighting game; you poke, you prod, you get a reaction, you judge it. You learn your opponent, so that you may better yourself. The worst fight is one you go into blind.
With that said, via con dios. If this other site you speak of is so good, go back. You won't even adapt to the Bay12 playstyle, even after seeing it firsthand. I'm sorry that every single question that isn't vitally important to you is automatically worthless and disregarded.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2018, 08:20:36 pm »

::) I'm not leaving

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2018, 08:25:41 pm »

Everything in Maximum's posts looks wrong to me. Like, very wrong. I don't know if it's a gut feeling or something, but I think he might either be scum or a really unhelpful townie. Since it's just day 1 and no one died night 1, can we risk misslynching? If we are going to lynch today, Maximum Spin seems like the safest choice of lynch. At least we will get more answers from his flip.
I think I might be tunneling him on accident, but there is just something wrong in the way he posts and I can feel it in my gut.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2018, 08:26:56 pm »

That is because I am cthulhu.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48