Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846079 times)

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2014, 07:05:55 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
  • Babies don't start strapped with a knife

Don't you realize what that meant Toady? That means they are destined to be a great warrior or assassin. Some babies are born with spoons of varying materials, but a knife? That means they know what kind of world they're born into. It's got as much validity as animals being appointed administrative positions!  :P

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2014, 07:52:08 pm »

So the wiki had some new Secret Goal tokens listed: STAY_ALIVE, MAINTAIN_ENTITY_STATUS, START_A_FAMILY, RULE_THE_WORLD, CREATE_A_GREAT_WORK_OF_ART, CRAFT_A_MASTERWORK, BRING_PEACE_TO_THE_WORLD, BECOME_A_LEGENDARY_WARRIOR, MASTER_A_SKILL, FALL_IN_LOVE, SEE_THE_GREAT_NATURAL_SITES. 
Were these tokens only added to go with the new personality update or do they also indicate near term plans for expansion to secret motivations?
Also, nice job in integrating the personality goal expansion with the existing necromancy goal process.  Its always fun to see thing come together like that.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2014, 10:06:10 pm »

So the wiki had some new Secret Goal tokens listed: STAY_ALIVE, MAINTAIN_ENTITY_STATUS, START_A_FAMILY, RULE_THE_WORLD, CREATE_A_GREAT_WORK_OF_ART, CRAFT_A_MASTERWORK, BRING_PEACE_TO_THE_WORLD, BECOME_A_LEGENDARY_WARRIOR, MASTER_A_SKILL, FALL_IN_LOVE, SEE_THE_GREAT_NATURAL_SITES. 

What's the difference between "STAY_ALIVE" and "IMMORTALITY"?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2014, 10:42:51 pm »

I imagine STAY_ALIVE is for people who are hunted or inflicted with disease and not for people obsessed with their own mortality.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2014, 10:49:27 pm »

None of them work at the moment AFAIK, so it's somewhat irrelevant.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2014, 10:53:35 pm »

Right, I noticed the tags were in the list of tokens for secret goals in the wiki, so I tried some custom secrets but they never showed up as motives for secrets during world gen.  So I looked around on the wiki some more and found they were associated with the new personalities changes.  So apparently the necromancy goal is incorporated into the overall goal system of the personalities.  So that left me wondering if they were combined just to keep it consistent for long-term development, or if there was some near term expansion to secret researching motivations.

I imagine STAY_ALIVE is for people who are hunted or inflicted with disease and not for people obsessed with their own mortality.
Yeah that makes sense.  Stay alive doesn't seem to act as a secret motive during world-gen (as I mentioned with raw modification and world-gen test).  It would make sense to have separate goals for those that just want to stay alive versus historical figures actively seeking immorality.

None of them work at the moment AFAIK, so it's somewhat irrelevant.
Yeah they are pretty much just fortress mode personality characteristics as far as I can tell.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2014, 11:05:17 pm »

the wiki says that elephants would be eventually be able to be kept alive when tamed/trained, as this been discussed?, what about rhinos?, now that multi-tile trees are possible will we see a change to the grazing system? at least to allow large natural creatures to be bred succesfully in captivity?

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2014, 02:03:06 am »

Perhaps STAY_ALIVE is the default, since it is the de facto motive of all living beings?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2014, 09:18:15 am »

Perhaps STAY_ALIVE is the default, since it is the de facto motive of all living beings?
Could be. Which means it really shouldn't work for secret goals. Would be awkward if everyone went necromancer, only to have nothing to animate. It doesn't seem to show up in the XML export if I recall correctly, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2014, 09:33:12 am »

Could be. Which means it really shouldn't work for secret goals. Would be awkward if everyone went necromancer, only to have nothing to animate. It doesn't seem to show up in the XML export if I recall correctly, though.

"Is your secret goal to stay alive?"
"I'm not saying."
"Do you mean to say that you don't want to stay alive?"
"No, just saying I'm not saying what my secret goal is."
"It's not like staying alive is a bad thing.  Come on, you can tell me."
"I'm not telling you my secret goal, all right?"
"I think your secret goal is to stay alive, and you're just embarrassed to --  Gaaaaaaa!"
"No, actually my secret goal is to rid the world of really annoying people."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:09 am »

"Is your secret goal to stay alive?"
"I'm not saying."
"Do you mean to say that you don't want to stay alive?"
"No, just saying I'm not saying what my secret goal is."
"It's not like staying alive is a bad thing.  Come on, you can tell me."
"I'm not telling you my secret goal, all right?"
"I think your secret goal is to stay alive, and you're just embarrassed to --  Gaaaaaaa!"
"No, actually my secret goal is to rid the world of really annoying people."
or [BRING_PEACE_TO_THE_WORLD]
._.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2014, 10:20:40 am »

Maybe.  Though I'd think it might drive caution and cowardice instead, and be the opposite of some new deathwish-like tag such as DIE_IN_BATTLE.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2014, 03:16:23 pm »

Maybe.  Though I'd think it might drive caution and cowardice instead, and be the opposite of some new deathwish-like tag such as DIE_IN_BATTLE.

could be linked to some Walhala myth, or Djihad.

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:22 pm »

Are armor and weapon modifications (like thin, rectangular etc.) different from the unmodificated item? If yes, can you tell us what is changed?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:10:05 pm by Saram-61-97-kon »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2014, 05:56:54 pm »

Are armor and weapon modifications (like thin, rectangular etc.) different from the unmodificated item? If yes, can you tell us what is changed? And what properties does the vault-clothing has?

No they are exactly the same. The only thing that makes them unique is the divine metal they are made out of typically.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 306