Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846082 times)

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2014, 05:57:13 pm »

And a question to the community: what does PTW mean (I'm not a native speaker)? I guess something like thank you, but I couldn't find the proper meaning for this abbreviation. Google told me that it means "poison the well"...

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2014, 05:59:10 pm »

Saram-61-97-kon
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Might want to spoiler that... since
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  just to respect the few that like finding these things out for themselves.

And a question to the community: what does PTW mean (I'm not a native speaker)? I guess something like thank you, but I couldn't find the proper meaning for this abbreviation. Google told me that it means "poison the well"...
Posting to Watch (so any new posts to thread makes it come up in your feed of new responses).  Try Urban Dictionary next time you are looking for internet slang.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2014, 06:02:40 pm »

Post to watch.

There's an option in the reply form to receive e-mail notifications for a thread when it updates.

However, you can also just hit 'Notify' and have the same effect without posting, and while I understand posting PTW to inform the original poster that they're interested inmthe content, I wish it weren't so... dry. Or incomprehensible. Two years ago people still wrote post to watch full out, I had to break my brain as well to remember the context.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2014, 06:10:59 pm »

Thank you for your fast replies! And I've edited the spoiler into a spoiler.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2014, 06:58:08 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, most people who 'post to watch' do so because once you've posted in a thread, new replies appear when you click "Show new replies to your posts". It's purely a matter of quickly tracking specific threads from a single screen, if I'm remembering correctly.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2014, 07:57:54 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, most people who 'post to watch' do so because once you've posted in a thread, new replies appear when you click "Show new replies to your posts". It's purely a matter of quickly tracking specific threads from a single screen, if I'm remembering correctly.

This. I'd rather not have my email spammed when people respond to threads I'm interested in, and I'd rather be able to hang out and check on them via the forum instead of in my email anyway.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2014, 05:04:56 am »

PTW
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2014, 08:18:54 am »

How are culture differences going to be handled?
Will different cultures within the same species, or different civilizations, have distinct behaviour? Will there be something else besides trained practices and probability range of personality traits? How will it matter for the AI? Will it be moddable, and if so, how and to which extent?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:23 am »

How are culture differences going to be handled?
Will different cultures within the same species, or different civilizations, have distinct behaviour? Will there be something else besides trained practices and probability range of personality traits? How will it matter for the AI? Will it be moddable, and if so, how and to which extent?

DF Talk #5 focused on procedural cultures and cultural differences.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:34 am »

Here's a question about off-screen historical resolution.

Are there major differences between the historical resolution that happens in world-gen and the historical resolution that happens in the calendar between games? If so, what are the biggest differences?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2014, 10:54:10 am »

Posting to Watch (so any new posts to thread makes it come up in your feed of new responses).  Try Urban Dictionary next time you are looking for internet slang.
Yeah, but even then there's context that might escape a non-native speaker.  When I first looked up PTW as a slang term, the Internet tried to tell me it means "pass the weed."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2014, 01:27:52 pm »

A modding question:
Version 0.40 added GET_ITEM_DATA and ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT so reactions can create different types of items depending on what material they're given. In previous versions, you could use GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:reagent:NONE to directly copy the material from a reagent (instead of specifying a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT), but using GET_ITEM_DATA:reagent:NONE appears to simply not produce an item - is this something that's supposed to work, or something that you weren't expecting anybody to do?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:30:07 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2014, 06:35:31 pm »

Man, that bugfix changelog's getting pretty tall.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2014, 07:21:35 pm »

Man, that bugfix changelog's getting pretty tall.

I like how Toady's fixing all these smaller issues. They're quick changes most of the time, and fixing them really adds to the game's polish. I'd rather 10 small bugs be fixed than one major big bug (unless the latter bug is gamebreaking, of which not many are left).

I'm especially looking forward to elven diplomats coming back in the coming version.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:24:14 pm by dree12 »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2014, 08:29:56 pm »

•stopped hyper-obese digesting dwarves from constantly recalculating insulation/mass data (UristDaVinci)

1. It is terrifying.

2. Actually Ag solved that bug - I had nothing to do with it: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5971
0005971: Fat dwarves eating causes lag
Wasted CPU can be expected to be on the order of 5-10%
Insert yo mama joke about gravitational time dilation here.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 306