Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846091 times)

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #390 on: August 24, 2014, 05:15:50 pm »

How much data about historical figures is stored after that figure dies? Is, for example, the hair color of that person retained after they're killed?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 24, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »

How do you intend to get players in the medieval mindset?

If there's a cardinal sin of fantasy, it's how little insight you get into the genuine medieval and classical era, especially the life of the average person.

Is there a reason to assume that "get players in the medieval mindset" is a development goal?

When will you work on the ability to attack other sites?

While there's no specific timeline, this feature is on the dev page, so it'll probably get done sooner than the vast amount of stuff that's not on the dev page:
Military

Dwarven armies
        Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
        Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves
        Ability to attack sites and entity populations with your dwarven armies
        Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 25, 2014, 06:12:36 am »

Thanks everyone who pointed out situations that answer my most recent question.

And now another curiousity...

•Fixed problem allow the player to become invisible among many units even when clearly visible
This is obviously an issue if it's happening due to, well, anything other than a reasonable "blends in with the crowd" evaluation. But I am curious: Is being able to hide by blending in with a crowd something that is planned or might otherwise be going in as a feature someday?

Thanks again for all the bugfixes, Toady! (And, again, for... Dwarf Fortress! Just Dwarf Fortress!)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 25, 2014, 06:29:44 am »

How do you intend to get players in the medieval mindset?

If there's a cardinal sin of fantasy, it's how little insight you get into the genuine medieval and classical era, especially the life of the average person.

Is there a reason to assume that "get players in the medieval mindset" is a development goal?

done sooner than the vast amount of stuff that's not on the dev page:

You see why i make assumptions :P.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 25, 2014, 08:55:32 am »

•Fixed problem allow the player to become invisible among many units even when clearly visible
This is obviously an issue if it's happening due to, well, anything other than a reasonable "blends in with the crowd" evaluation. But I am curious: Is being able to hide by blending in with a crowd something that is planned or might otherwise be going in as a feature someday?

Several powergoals touch on hiding in crowds:
PowerGoal66, IT WAS WORTH THE TIME, (Future): The guards are hunting you because you have a stolen diamond. You dip into a group of mourners that are a viewing a body just as the guards appear. They dare not stop you from slipping into the solemn crowd. You pretend to mourn the body, holding its head in your hand as you hide the diamond in the corpse's mouth. Although you are subsequently apprehended and imprisoned for twenty years, after you are released, you dig up the body and claim the prize.

PowerGoal88, YOUR NAUGHTY CHILD, (Future): You and your sons follow a train of people from various towns going to see the prophet Shangris. When you arrive, Shangris tells people to overthrow the king. Shangris also says he is parentless -- that he sprang up from a hole in the ground. You leap up from the crowd and claim truthfully to be Shangris's father. Your sons come up and say that they are his brothers. Shangris holds a knife to your neck, screaming that he has no father. Your sons step back. The confusion disorients the crowd, allowing your evil son Shangris to escape.

In general, given all the stealth/disguise stuff that's on the dev page, I think the impact of crowds on those mechanics will be respected.

You see why i make assumptions :P.

There are many dev goals, but I don't think "get players in the medieval mindset" is one of them per se.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:59:22 am by Footkerchief »

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 25, 2014, 12:07:37 pm »

Stopped necromancer towers from doing various inappropriate townish things that lead to tower proliferation etc

LOL Mental image: The tower that dreamed of being a town.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 26, 2014, 09:26:32 am »

I'd love to see a fruit tree-eating dwarf now. Just standing there, gnawing on the bark of the uprooted tree ignoring the fruit on it, while spiting the elves.

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 26, 2014, 11:58:23 am »

I'd love to see a fruit tree-eating dwarf now. Just standing there, gnawing on the bark of the uprooted tree ignoring the fruit on it, while spiting the elves.

on the object is an engraving of a dwarf, a tree and some elves. The dwarf is biting the tree. the elves are making a plaintive gesture.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Little Kingpin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 27, 2014, 11:09:49 am »

Are we ever going to have non-dwarves try to immigrate? Like human refugees show up looking for safety and we can either accept them as citizens or lock them out until they move on? Or hurl magma at them, that works too.

For that matter, could we end up with a culture in the world that keeps moving around without settling down, like medieval Gypsies?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:54 am »

Hiya,

Are we ever going to have non-dwarves try to immigrate? Like human refugees show up looking for safety and we can either accept them as citizens or lock them out until they move on? Or hurl magma at them, that works too.

For that matter, could we end up with a culture in the world that keeps moving around without settling down, like medieval Gypsies?

I'd like to add to this, will we eventually be able to get dwarven immigrants from another civ?  Particularly if our chosen embark civ is already dead or dies during fort mode gameplay.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 27, 2014, 02:09:02 pm »

Hiya,

I'd like to add to this, will we eventually be able to get dwarven immigrants from another civ?  Particularly if our chosen embark civ is already dead or dies during fort mode gameplay.

-Dame de la Licorne

Yes on both counts, presumably. Toady does intend to add the possibility of multi-racial or species fortress management, and there will in the future be travelers, potentially refugees, visiting for various reasons. Travelers showing up is, as I understand, waiting for functional inns to be operable in your fortress (so you can like offer them a room and food/drink/other goods for a price), which was going to happen soon-ish, but not tomorrow.

in the last FoTF post, toady said this:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: MaskedMiner
In one of older version there were those unnamed whatever underground animal men civilizations, what is the plan for those? Is every type of animal men going to have their own tribal civilization or were those 7 underground "civilizations" placeholders for something else?

The underground ones were always a bit more civilized equipment-wise, but I don't know that the aboveground ones are going to remain in their animal population state.  We'll probably be in better shape once we have things like better-defined nomadic human pops.

These nomadic populations, when Toady implements them, will probably be something like gypsies or at least nomadic hunter-gatherer societies. And if they're defined through the raws like normal civs, they could be made into any number of things.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:10:59 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 29, 2014, 03:12:28 pm »

Guess what was fixed! http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5598

At least sort of fixed according to Toady One.

Simca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 31, 2014, 04:51:50 am »

I meant if there are going to be MULTIPLE different randomized demon types

Like there seems to be three basic categories for spoilery vault guardian monsters :P The animal like one, the humanoid one and huge monster one. Are there going to be multiple different demon categories or are they going to be same "Humanoid goblin leaders and ones you can unleash by digging adamantinum are just as random as forbidden beasts" so far? Like, I remember demons from hell being anything from salt six legged anteaters to floating cloud with wings to humanoid demons like goblin leader ones.

But thanks for answering the other questions :)

As far as I can tell, the wiki is just incomplete in the entry for Demons and there are truly multiple demon types with different characteristics. For example, Phantoms seem to dodge very well but are otherwise weak but have a strong attack. Banshees also dodge very well but are weak in both defense and offense. Brutes are absolute monsters with incredible combat skills - 1 brute obliterated my military (and then killed every dwarf in the rest of my fort) - by putting his axe through their heads or necks within 1-2 attacks in every fight.

It only seems like the randomization is which animal the demon is based on, as well as the element it embodies (hatred, fear, blinding, etc), but there still appear to be core 'types' of demons, unlike Forgotten Beasts (who are only distinguishable by the "watch out for its X ability!" messages).

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 31, 2014, 05:12:14 am »

As far as I can tell, the wiki is just incomplete in the entry for Demons and there are truly multiple demon types with different characteristics. For example, Phantoms seem to dodge very well but are otherwise weak but have a strong attack. Banshees also dodge very well but are weak in both defense and offense. Brutes are absolute monsters with incredible combat skills - 1 brute obliterated my military (and then killed every dwarf in the rest of my fort) - by putting his axe through their heads or necks within 1-2 attacks in every fight.
No, the various demons are pretty much identical in terms of attributes, natural skills, and personality, and their natural attacks depend on their form. There are only two divisions of demons - demons, and unique demons (the demon lords that raise the slade spires - they have higher natural skills for example).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2014, 01:05:02 pm »

I can't seem to find this issue on the bug tracker, but all historical figures blink blue in Adventure mode when graphics are turned on. This is not only distracting, but could confuse new players. Are there any plans to fix this blinking?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:12:41 pm by Taffer »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 306