Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846139 times)

Capsicum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2310 on: August 06, 2015, 05:03:36 pm »

What are your plans (if any) to present legends mode information to players in a more organic (in-game) way?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: August 06, 2015, 09:17:27 pm »

What are your plans (if any) to present legends mode information to players in a more organic (in-game) way?
I thought it was kinda funny when I saw an ant man soldier become obsessed with its own mortality and try to extend its life by any means... then die of old age in less than a year.

This is the kind of stuff that should be relayed thru bards and added to the known Legends available in fort or adventure mode, though the omniscience of Legends mode is rightfully walled off.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Pootis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: August 07, 2015, 11:17:09 am »

Being cursed by vengeful gods every time a temple gets messed with (always) sounds a little gamey to me. Will we ever have options for worldgen to tone down direct divine influence like that?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: August 09, 2015, 06:44:18 pm »

It's sad that secret vampires aren't secret anymore, it was fun in past version to not notice one got into a migrant wave.
You read it wrongly. Vampires coming with migrants are still secret. Only those desecrating in fortress mode aren't.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: August 09, 2015, 06:47:33 pm »

Being cursed by vengeful gods every time a temple gets messed with (always) sounds a little gamey to me. Will we ever have options for worldgen to tone down direct divine influence like that?

Can't you already, with no. of vampire curse types? Or does that just do the number of variations?
One wheel short of a wagon

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: August 09, 2015, 08:47:02 pm »

Can't you already, with no. of vampire curse types? Or does that just do the number of variations?

That just turns down the variations, though I think that vampire curses all end up being samey as currently implemented.  I know that if you want your rawified secrets to show up you need to set the number of generated secrets to a low number.  I assume the same is true for curses.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: August 09, 2015, 08:54:55 pm »

Will regular creatures with the building destroyer tag be cursed from toppling statues?

Will temple defilers be cursed 100% of the time?

If so, an invading squad of goblins with a few trolls in tow could make for a hectic battle.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 09, 2015, 11:42:22 pm »

If current Legends are any indication, then only a select few deities will be cursehappy; the rest don't really seem to care.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: August 12, 2015, 11:13:17 am »

I'm not sure "gamey" is a good description; it is usually used to imply that something is done because the needs of engine or game mechanics override the way things "should" be based on the setting.  That's not really the case here. 

Some religious, mythological and fantasy settings have deities that pay very personal attention to their followers (and followers of their rivals), and some do not.  Some settings have deities that are extreme sticklers for compliance to a long list of fiddly rules, and others have more laid-back cosmic forces who simply expect support for their sphere of interest.  In some settings the god or gods are vast, terrifying cosmic forces beyond mortal comprehension, and in others the gods are the genius loci or numinous spirits of individual springs and crossroads.  And in some settings, you can have *all* of these sorts of things, depending on the individual god in question. 

DF eventually needs to handle all of these options, and hopefully generate others we've not even thought of yet.  This means that ideas and code for "interventionist" deities need to be developed, debugged, and play-tested; it's almost always easier and less problematic to turn down that sort of thing later than to turn it up and find that things break. 

It is likely that in future versions there will be some world generation settings to adjust various procedurally-generated parameters of the cosmos based on personal preference: prevalence of magic, involvement level of the gods, and so on.  Presumably, if you prefer a setting with distant and less involved gods, you'd not use presets designed to generate, say, something along the lines of Greek myth; where merely boasting that you are a Legendary +5 Weaver gets you turned into a new sort of hideous monster by a jealous goddess

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: August 12, 2015, 02:56:13 pm »

If current Legends are any indication, then only a select few deities will be cursehappy; the rest don't really seem to care.
Those who don't seem to care mostly don't have temples to be desecrated. Temples are mostly only built in large human cities (I suppose the next version may have dwarf temples), and only two of them, I believe. And I think there's also still a tendency that only a few gods keep getting selected for temple building.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: August 12, 2015, 03:01:42 pm »

Speaking of temples, are every deities going to have temples in a worldgen ?
And will they be built in random odd place or will there be some checks to have them in more appropriate locations (difficult to imagine death-based deities temples being tolerated in a city ruled by a lord that is worshipping life-based deities , or good-based deities temples being built in evil regions)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: August 12, 2015, 03:03:02 pm »

Will the fake deities be able to have their own temples to help cover they're in fact demons impersonating a deity ?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: August 12, 2015, 03:18:35 pm »

Will the fake deities be able to have their own temples to help cover they're in fact demons impersonating a deity ?
I thought that demons impersonated a "real" deity.  If that's the case, then the temple would even "work" by cursing people who desecrate it.

The interesting bit would be what happens if the demon sets foot in said temple.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: August 12, 2015, 03:27:59 pm »

Quote from: Novel Scoops
Do you have any plans for lower order "magical" items in the Artifact arc?
Quote from: FallacyofUrist
Do you plan to add randomly generated books of magic(not just necromancy)?

It would be interesting if gods didn't have only one type of controlled magic to bestow.

The Artifact arc will indeed be doing a few additional things -- we've mentioned the myth generator, and that by itself already sets up a lot of possibilities, some very quick and easy.  Mainly what we're doing now is trying to really narrow it down to a few focused pushes so we don't end up with a 2 year magic release.  We'll have more details on what makes the cut as that approaches.

Toady, are you getting close enough to hint at what might make the cut in myth generation for the upcoming release?

Also, are there any raw changes that are firm enough that you feel comfortable discussing them yet?  (And hopefully at least part of the myth generator is in the raws...)

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams
Just got back, updating:

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: August 12, 2015, 11:04:55 pm »

In the next version humans can live with the dwarves.  Will we be able to make armor that would fit them? Or would they be forced to use the armor bought off the  human merchants?

Related, will human merchants sell armor and clothing dwarf sized, or will they still bring sizes completely useless for a dwarf?
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 306