Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846081 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2640 on: October 14, 2015, 06:43:21 pm »

Are you sure those can't be had in Fortress Mode? As to the eye loss example listed, it could happen in Fort (see: FB Dusts, Dwarven Childcare, et al), but I've not seen it myself due to combat in Fort mode. Tends to be that when one is shot in the eye, death follows pretty rapidly. But are there outlier cases where they could be seen in Fort mode? Maybe. Needs more !!SCIENCE!!
There's a difference between getting a damaged eye and completely losing it, as in grey/missing.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: October 15, 2015, 11:31:34 am »

Necromancers in the current version will write books about other books, but it gets weird when it says something like "It concerns the two-humped camel leather bound book The Arrogance of Hills", so...

Now that books are copied and spread, will they still be referred to as single physical things? Or will it be something more abstract that holds for all copies of a book, regardless of materials etc.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: October 15, 2015, 12:45:39 pm »

Necromancers in the current version will write books about other books, but it gets weird when it says something like "It concerns the two-humped camel leather bound book The Arrogance of Hills", so...

Now that books are copied and spread, will they still be referred to as single physical things? Or will it be something more abstract that holds for all copies of a book, regardless of materials etc.
Although it's rare, the game is perfectly capable of generating distinct books with the same title in the same world.  Calling it "'The Arrogance of Hills' by Urist McWordy" might work.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: October 15, 2015, 03:34:51 pm »

Perhaps add the date and place as extra guarantee of not confusing books sharing a name.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: October 16, 2015, 11:51:20 am »

I don't know, There's something humerous about this idea:

A Necromancer goes out into the world looking for a book of power and finally finds it after years of searching. he then goes out, finds a secluded place to read it, maybe spending untold years hunting for just the right ambiance in old ruins and finally, finally, it all comes together, his spells are ready, his staff is charged, his amulet of warding is primed...

he cracks open the book only to find it's a book of elven poetry by the same name.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: October 16, 2015, 05:20:27 pm »

I don't know, There's something humerous about this idea:

A Necromancer goes out into the world looking for a book of power and finally finds it after years of searching. he then goes out, finds a secluded place to read it, maybe spending untold years hunting for just the right ambiance in old ruins and finally, finally, it all comes together, his spells are ready, his staff is charged, his amulet of warding is primed...

he cracks open the book only to find it's a book of elven poetry by the same name.

Elven poetry is a powerful ward against dwarves.
Hello I'm insane!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: October 16, 2015, 11:31:44 pm »

Elven poetry is a powerful ward against dwarves.

And a powerful dragon attractant.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: October 17, 2015, 04:37:56 am »

Ohh it gets worse when books and music pieces have NO TITLE!!!

With music though if they don't actually have a name for a particular piece they just give it a number and usually what KIND of music it was (like if it was a solo). "George Mustache's Symphony #24"

With books though... What is the exact method for naming untitled books?

I know with fiction TYPICALLY you make the title the main characters.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: October 17, 2015, 11:35:20 am »

So a fiction book by Elves with 328 main characters who are trees, and 199 who are Elves...

That is quite a problem
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: October 17, 2015, 02:08:31 pm »

So a fiction book by Elves with 328 main characters who are trees, and 199 who are Elves...

That is quite a problem

Problem is a understatement! How am I gonna ship all these trees together?
Hello I'm insane!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: October 17, 2015, 02:11:31 pm »

That is quite a problem

Problem is a understatement! How am I gonna ship all these trees together?
As small pieces back to the Mountain Home of course!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: October 17, 2015, 05:34:05 pm »

A question:
Wich one came first on dwarf fortress:
The color R: 128 G:128 B:0, or the fact that df needed a color brown (what the first one I said, is named on df)?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: October 17, 2015, 05:43:08 pm »

A question:
Wich one came first on dwarf fortress:
The color R: 128 G:128 B:0, or the fact that df needed a color brown (what the first one I said, is named on df)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_software_palettes#Microsoft_Windows_default_16-color_palette
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: October 17, 2015, 06:23:27 pm »

Ok the value R: 128 G:128 B:0 came first

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: October 18, 2015, 10:47:18 am »

Well that was the most facepalm-inducing question I've seen in a while.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 306