Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846226 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2790 on: November 10, 2015, 05:37:01 am »

So while the answer first question in the most basic sense is no, I'm pretty sure you could do some odd things to get it to work. Basically you'd need a way for the creatures from the civilization that never generated to exist without the civilization. In vanilla I think all creatures that have entities only show up from those entities and are never in the wild or something. However, with the next update there'll be creatures like crundles, and aboveground animal people which can join civilizations despite never having had one themselves. So you could add in a    [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER] [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:2] to dwarves and then if their civilization never showed up a few wild dwarves might still join a civilization and you'd get them as guests potentially. You might need them to be a seperate [CREATURE:WILD_DWARF] though, I don't know if creatures can both be in a civilization and in the wild, it might work, but that could be a backup plan. Of course this would result in the creature being found in the wild and uncivilized, and the visitors you get would only have values and knowledge or whatever from the civilization they joined rather than their own, but it is a way it could probably be done.

You would need either a seperate creature, in which case the dwarves would be naked and unarmed or you would have to make a [LAYER_LINKED] dwarf entity.  Crundles however would not be able to join civilizations however except as pets, since they are not intelligent creatures  :D.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: November 10, 2015, 10:48:10 am »

Will future editions have certain metalworking tasks involve casting, and possibly not involve an anvil at all? I'm no expert on the production of metal statues, but cursory research indicates that it involves only casting and polishing, not banging on it with a hammer. Furthermore, if casting is implemented, will mold-making be a different skill and/or labor than casting? How will the skills interact in terms of determining the quality of the output?
Questions like that tend to get answers along the line of "Sounds good, we're all for it, but there's no timeline when we'll add it. (and thus don't know the details yet)"  Toady has mentioned being all for molds in the context of creating anvils before, though, so it may happen some day.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: November 11, 2015, 05:24:29 am »

bandits will also occasionally arrive to relax as well.

Are there plans for a "global justice" system, or rather something like supra-regional extradition agreements? That could involve a bandit visiting our Tavern being wanted by our parent civ and consequently being arrested and extradited with a liaison. (and could then the same happen to our adventurer?)

More generally, do you have any plans beyond "It would be nice to have" for the Justice and Diplomacy "arcs" to have intertwined features such as described above?

I'm thinking of extradition agreements, trade or common law unions, and prisoner exchange with enemy civs.
Oh, that reminds me:

Will nobles write special books that progress statesmanship/law like the other books do to their field? Specifically, will we see law compendiums, reforms, capitularies, etc?

I read back a bit through the devlog but couldn't find anything.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: November 11, 2015, 05:31:10 pm »

So while the answer first question in the most basic sense is no, I'm pretty sure you could do some odd things to get it to work. Basically you'd need a way for the creatures from the civilization that never generated to exist without the civilization. In vanilla I think all creatures that have entities only show up from those entities and are never in the wild or something. However, with the next update there'll be creatures like crundles, and aboveground animal people which can join civilizations despite never having had one themselves. So you could add in a    [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER] [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:2] to dwarves and then if their civilization never showed up a few wild dwarves might still join a civilization and you'd get them as guests potentially. You might need them to be a seperate [CREATURE:WILD_DWARF] though, I don't know if creatures can both be in a civilization and in the wild, it might work, but that could be a backup plan. Of course this would result in the creature being found in the wild and uncivilized, and the visitors you get would only have values and knowledge or whatever from the civilization they joined rather than their own, but it is a way it could probably be done.

You would need either a seperate creature, in which case the dwarves would be naked and unarmed or you would have to make a [LAYER_LINKED] dwarf entity. Crundles however would not be able to join civilizations however except as pets, since they are not intelligent creatures  :D.
I meant gorlaks. And, I know those things, but it's mostly the only solution. The [LAYER_LINKED] civilization is good, but it would be really odd for some of them considering that they're talking about worlds with 20 different entities, I doubt many of which would make sense underground. Could use combinations of them though.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: November 11, 2015, 06:13:03 pm »

I meant gorlaks. And, I know those things, but it's mostly the only solution. The [LAYER_LINKED] civilization is good, but it would be really odd for some of them considering that they're talking about worlds with 20 different entities, I doubt many of which would make sense underground. Could use combinations of them though.

[LAYER_LINKED] only works for cavern creatures, there is no way to make layer-linked surface creatures for some reason; it would also be good to have weapons made of stone for both of them as well being an option as opposed to simply metal or wood.  Ideally you should no longer be able to have people basically living like animals and the game should automatically assign all intelligent beings to a generated entity with items to match (so no 2handed weapons for one handed creatures) without us having to do any work.  The same would apply to intelligent (semi) megabeasts and would make the seriously underwhelming giants, ettins and minotours actually a threat. 

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: November 12, 2015, 02:27:44 am »

Will biographies contain a detailed list of the life events of the individual in question, similar to the one in legends mode?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: November 12, 2015, 05:15:02 am »

Will biographies contain a detailed list of the life events of the individual in question, similar to the one in legends mode?
Pretty sure book details are still at the 'description of the content of a book' stage this time round. It'd be a heck of a task to render legends in all the different styles that books are described as having.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: November 17, 2015, 01:20:01 am »

Now that the release is a lot closer to done than the last time I asked, what are the additions to the raws for this update going to be? Like are there now tokens to influence what kind of dance or music styles civilizations develop, or whether they build libraries and what they like to put in those libraries?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: November 18, 2015, 11:58:15 pm »

So a lively debate is raging in the suggestions forum about the nature of deities of DF, and it's making me wonder what the official opinion is. 

1)  Are the gods of DF "real"?  Did primordial dwarves look at the mountains and think to themselves "there must be a great power to have built such things" and start worshiping an idea, or is there a genuine personality that hears dwarves when they pray and feels the scratches of their picks against its mountains?  Or is the truth somewhere in between? 

2)  How random do you think deities should be?  For example, would a deity be able to have domain over contradicting spheres, such as Fire and Water or Sun and Caverns?  I tried using randomization to generate mythological associations, and got unintuitive combinations like a Wind God that was associated with Slug Men and Brewing and a Trickery God that was depicted as a Sperm Whale Man and rode upon a Giant Desert Scorpion.  There were strong opinions about whether or not that was okay.  If/when gods and mythology are expanded upon to include such information, would they be completely random like that, or would there be some guidance in the algorithms to prevent certain combinations?

EDIT:  Oops, forgot to green
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:14:22 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: November 19, 2015, 12:14:18 am »

1. Vampires and werecreatures come directly from the curses of gods. How "real" DF gods are will eventually be dealt with by worldgen slider, from what I've heard. Basically, from "no gods" to "god of discipline coming down to personally teach your champion the spirit bomb"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:15:56 am by Putnam »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: November 19, 2015, 12:55:42 am »

Will we be seeing a tidier Legends Mode? A family tree option would be pretty cool, as would an option to toggle through levels of detail (e.g. show everything that happened to an individual/show everything except the injuries he inflicted on others/show only the non-fighting bits.)
More overall contextualization would be good.

If nothing else, it would be nice to be able to search by profession, gender, and race. At present, one can only search for names, which is particularly useless when their only distinguishing trait is their language.

Speaking of which, will we see family names in the future? Seeing as all the Vanilla cultures practice marriage, it's an odd exclusion.

And speaking of cultures, it occurs to me that while it makes sense for the likes of the Dwarves not to practice child labor, Goblins and some of the upcoming randomized Human civs are less likely to care. Are we going to get an ethics tag for this?

"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: November 19, 2015, 03:05:16 am »

@Urlance Woolsbane : your "question" seems more suggestions for me. You should perhaps put them in the appropriate topic. Otherwise, you'll probably have the same reply than many...

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: November 19, 2015, 04:53:11 am »

@Urlance Woolsbane : your "question" seems more suggestions for me. You should perhaps put them in the appropriate topic. Otherwise, you'll probably have the same reply than many...
The thing is, they're almost certainly things Toady has thought of himself, so making Suggestion topics would probably be pointless.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2803 on: November 19, 2015, 03:13:07 pm »

In order to satiate whatever the hell this argument is, do you mind telling us what mathematics went in to determining the "size" of various creatures?
Cubic Centimeters. The measurement of "Size" is volume, which can be extrapolated from weight by getting the density of flesh which is something that is already measured from real life creatures that DF's are modeled off of.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: November 19, 2015, 08:42:08 pm »

Will we be seeing a tidier Legends Mode? A family tree option would be pretty cool, as would an option to toggle through levels of detail (e.g. show everything that happened to an individual/show everything except the injuries he inflicted on others/show only the non-fighting bits.)
More overall contextualization would be good.

Better Legends Mode is a long standing desire Toady has spoke of since time immemorial. Family trees are on the old dev pages.
Bloat 51 is the family tree interface.  ...  The tree interface is one of those things that always seems like it's going to get done soon, but I never actually get around to it.  It wouldn't take much longer than a relationship dump, so it's just a matter of setting aside time for it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 306