Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846086 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2985 on: December 09, 2015, 03:56:52 pm »

Let's call it "middling future" for now. He mentioned that he did some experiments with them, and an interview later revealed that it was in the context of ships and whales. They have a chance to be worked on after the current set of 3 1/2 dev sections is done.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: December 09, 2015, 04:27:46 pm »

I think he will indeed begin with ships (easier in a first time, perhaps ?), which mean all of this will probably be in the "trade&Caravan Arc"...probably not in the next release (artifacts & magic), but more probably in the next one.

Unless he makes a surprise, or is interested by the subject (as he already told about it some time ago) and decide to push it further in the next release, or later can do the "Trade & Caravan& Economy" without it, then it will be only in 2017 or 2018. Sometimes you can have big surprises, and things which should be minor becomes the biggest part of the release ! Or, if you are waiting for something specific, you can be disapointed not seeing it arrive.
That's the rule with DF.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: December 09, 2015, 04:39:23 pm »

Definitely not in the next few feature releases - those will (most likely) be the Artifact and the Starting Scenario sections (maybe with the skipped part of the Tavern section inserted somewhere between). Then boats and multi-tile creatures could be the "fifth" section of the dev page (and they have some strong competition like economy work or thief role work).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: December 09, 2015, 05:09:33 pm »

Personally I'd rather see the gauntlet bug get unfucked, along with re-instituting cannibalism. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: December 09, 2015, 05:55:02 pm »

Definitely not in the next few feature releases - those will (most likely) be the Artifact and the Starting Scenario sections (maybe with the skipped part of the Tavern section inserted somewhere between). Then boats and multi-tile creatures could be the "fifth" section of the dev page (and they have some strong competition like economy work or thief role work).

I didn't know that there would be ships. These would be some sort of caravans I imagine ? I hardly imagine my dwarves building a ship going nowhere but near the fortress...

Also what is the "skipped part of the Tavern section" you mentionned ?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: December 09, 2015, 06:40:32 pm »

I didn't know that there would be ships. These would be some sort of caravans I imagine ? I hardly imagine my dwarves building a ship going nowhere but near the fortress...

Also what is the "skipped part of the Tavern section" you mentionned ?

Ships will probably start as accessories to trade, but I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of naval army/combat system is added at the same time.

The skipped bits of the Tavern section include recipes, drink quality, games and gambling, and "Set Prices/Activities." You can find this on the development page here, along with other tantalizing details about what is entailed by the imminent Artifacts and Starting Scenarios development.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: December 09, 2015, 06:46:48 pm »

And then we can all by vikings? o3o

Are there any plans to bring back the idea of DF2012-style quests? As it stands, when discussing "army on the march" and "abducted child" rumors, the player is given the option to talk the other person into joining to escape or aid in a rescue mission, respectively.

Maybe beast, camp, and town harassment rumors could yield the option to offer to deal with the problem, starting it as a quest? Logically, the "agreements" section of the Quest log might be the best place to record and track agreements to exterminate bandits or beasts.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: December 09, 2015, 07:09:15 pm »

Ships will probably start as accessories to trade, but I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of naval army/combat system is added at the same time.

The skipped bits of the Tavern section include recipes, drink quality, games and gambling, and "Set Prices/Activities." You can find this on the development page here, along with other tantalizing details about what is entailed by the imminent Artifacts and Starting Scenarios development.

Adventure Mode will be TRULY amazing once some more of the development arcs are completed. I'm looking forward to being an actual Pirate, Fortune & Glory Archaeologist, Merchant Baron, and the like, in an actual simulated fantasy world. It feels a lot closer after the last couple releases, the bones of it are coming together, just needs a lot of fleshing out and bug fixes. Even in the current release I'm already in awe of what Toady has accomplished. You can stand in the middle of a typical town and watch the hustle and bustle, visit the rowdy Tavern, get yelled at by peddlers in the Market, delve into the sewers for adventure, etc. But its still just a pale shadow of where its headed if you look at some of the coming dev arcs.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: December 09, 2015, 07:32:51 pm »

Will we ever be able to customize our adventurer's likes and dislikes like we can their personality?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:20:26 pm by TheFlame52 »

Tugagon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: December 10, 2015, 12:00:08 pm »

Now you've gotten creating world unique instruments under your belt, could this lead to other unique tools and items such as some forms of weaponry?

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: December 10, 2015, 12:57:51 pm »

How do you test new features? Do you make them in various separated prototypes and then add them to the game?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: December 10, 2015, 04:01:25 pm »

I bet weapons are to exacting to be rng'ed up.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: December 10, 2015, 04:28:53 pm »

Now you've gotten creating world unique instruments under your belt, could this lead to other unique tools and items such as some forms of weaponry?

How soon do you think we'll be seeing multi-part weapons?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: December 10, 2015, 04:30:50 pm »

Definitely. There actually already are "random" weapons for spoiler entities, not that they have any variance yet, but Toady definitely plans more randomized content.
I bet weapons are to exacting to be rng'ed up.
I doubt it. The main problem right now is that there isn't much to vary for random weapons (and even less so for other items), as I've noticed in my random entity creature script. The main difficulty would be the "exposition" I guess.

How do you test new features? Do you make them in various separated prototypes and then add them to the game?
Yes, Toady mentioned that a few times. The multi-tile creature tests were a separate prototype from what I remember, and I think the new needs system also started its life as such a prototype. (I'm not sure if the myth generator Toady experimented with counts as a prototype in your sense, since it apparently just generates the mythological background without the appropriate in-game content).
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2999 on: December 10, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »

I do wish there was an easy way to get some background on instruments and stuff without digging through Legends... Maybe something on the (C)ivilizations screen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 306