Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846091 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3600 on: March 08, 2016, 05:47:04 pm »

So, in a recent playthrough in adventure mode, I wandered into a large evil mountain biome then into some strange yellow clouds and was turned into a creeping mist husk.

My max speed wet from 2.5 to 3.999 and I was so fast I could jump over rivers, so I did. I then went on a rampage in the nearby human civ, and since the mist stuff was all over me, I infected many more people with creeping mist husk-ism I went on to kill over 500 people and became legendary in several skills. My "friends" who i infected (but wasnt in a party with)  also got several kills on their own (some had over 30) . After my unfortunate death to bogeymen. I went into legends to look into how my buddies whom i infected held up, I noticed something odd, legends mode didn't label them as "creeping mist husks" though they still had their kills and they for some odd reason they still lived in the hamlets we destroyed (possibly by themselves) I thought this was odd so I created a new adventurer and found one of them hanging out in a house in one of the villages (killing any living things who went by)  eventually killing me. It was still a thrall, but wasn't labeled as one in legends mode, is this a intended feature or  a bug?

Also will people who get infected with this stuff ever lose their citizen status and rampage the world a bit like one would expect an evil thrall to do, the fact that they maintain their status as citizens in the hamlets they helped kill off is very odd and immersion breaking, and they didnt even get a reputation for killing either  do you plan to remedy this?

Interestingly someone recently reported something similar in fortress mode. An evil thrall left the map, then a while later it returned as part of a group of migrants. Probably the same issue.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: March 08, 2016, 08:44:14 pm »

About the invaders that is already a thing as of 2 major versions ago.
The world is alive now and invaders already travel on the map realistically. SO that is a thing already.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities

Artifacts are definitely still on, you might just be unlucky.

That was to do with the map edge that they appear from seeing as they're not meant to be coming from the mountain sides. They might arrive at the side but the direction they're coming from seems unreasonable and rather random or is it that we can't travel through mountains in adventure mode?

Not sure whats up with the artifacts I really have no idea why I cannot get a single dwarf to want to make an artifact.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: March 09, 2016, 03:52:02 am »

There is a switch to disable artifacts. It's on by default, but if you've modified something it the file it's in you might have changed it by mistake. The switch is also exported in the LNP UI, if you're using that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: March 09, 2016, 04:52:29 am »

There is a switch to disable artifacts. It's on by default, but if you've modified something it the file it's in you might have changed it by mistake. The switch is also exported in the LNP UI, if you're using that.
It's also related to tiles discovered. You'll never get one if you play an above-ground fort.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: March 09, 2016, 06:07:49 am »

How efficient are farms going to be in the future? Currently 200 dwarves can easily be fed with about four 5x5 farm plots without fertilizer, while in real life 2 humans need at least 10 square metres of farmland with additional foraging (not sure if this includes fertilization). Forts would be too small for farms this big. So if farming will be realistic thenwill trading with hillocks be necessary for maintaining a large fort?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: March 09, 2016, 06:25:06 am »

How efficient are farms going to be in the future? Currently 200 dwarves can easily be fed with about four 5x5 farm plots without fertilizer, while in real life 2 humans need at least 10 square metres of farmland with additional foraging (not sure if this includes fertilization). Forts would be too small for farms this big. So if farming will be realistic thenwill trading with hillocks be necessary for maintaining a large fort?

Some bits here and there in the DFtalks, it's been mentioned quite a few times as an issue at least, I doubt you'll get specifics until Toady actually gets to it.

Toady: Yeah, I think there's definitely that ... farming is definitely one of the things that's gotten very easy, and especially with the hill dwarves ... I think when the hill dwarves go in farming is going to ... that'll be its time to become much more difficult. It's kind of strange to have a completely self-sufficient fort without some work; it should be work, instead of just having one dude that can go off and grow two hundred food without thinking about it. That doesn't square with any kind of reality, and any kind of interest or any kind of fun of any kind, so I think that's definitely one of the big things ... I think it's too easy in terms of attacks ...

Threetoe:   Ok, the next question comes from dhokarena56, and they ask: Do you have any plans for the expansion of farming in the near or further future? It's been noted that the farming system is one of the last system that produces free stuff with no drawback - do you have on the drawing board any plans for the expansion of the overall agricultural system?
Toady:   So we don't have a timeline for it. You can see the notes on the dev page and of course that's supplemented by multiple forum threads that are pretty hefty on this topic. We're all for reforming farming. We kinda took a morale hit when we got rid of our Nile flood farming from the 2D version. That's very difficult to bring back into a 3D system. And so I just haven't gotten back to farming since then and it's only kinda gotten worse and worse over time. At some point we'll come back and clean that up though.
Threetoe:   Yes, kind of reminds me of the water-for-booze question and it's just like, it would make the game twenty times as hard if you couldn't get mushrooms from nothing.
Toady:   Yeah, and at the same time you know, people want a little bit of challenge when it comes to those systems. Hopefully not too annoying. But kind of interesting maybe you know, terrain based, that kind of thing.
Threetoe:   It is too easy to...Yeah.
Toady:   Yeah. So yes, we're definitely pro...Pro stuff. Pro new farming.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: March 09, 2016, 08:39:31 am »

Do the community's efforts towards UI design make an overhaul any easier? Or is it mainly a coding dread / need to figure out what layout works best for you that holds it back? There's some really nice stuff in DFHack:
Spoiler: Pictures (click to show/hide)
They probably don't look nearly as nice at DF's default resolution, so I suspect that's a consideration.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: March 09, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »

That map of yours is at the wrong resolution, sites in the travel map are huge. So big in fact that the size you made your impassible objects would be considered an (relatively large) obstacle and they would take the pink path.
Yes, yes, I know, It was just an abstraction because it's easier to draw. Think of it as a fictional tiny site, or better yet forget sites altogether: it's just a specific point on the map.
The small grey obstacles are meant to be only 1 "fortress mode tile" wide. as thin as a wall can be.

To reiterate the question more clearly:

Is a "travel map tile" that contains a directional obstacle (i.e. an obstacle that can be traversed north-south, but not west-east) marked as passable or impassable?

Maybe this example explains it better:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/74h7h6pdcg6z6ua/asd.png
Which path(s) is/are valid? 'A' and '1' obviously. But Is 'C' passable? If so, '2' must be passable as well - which means B must too be a vaild route. After all, a "travel map tile" is either passable or not. If there were more information than a binary flag, the check would have to have a higher resolution, no?

If not; if B, C, 2, and 3 are all invalid paths, how does the game decide whether a tile is impassable or not?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: March 09, 2016, 04:30:10 pm »

So, in a recent playthrough in adventure mode, I wandered into a large evil mountain biome then into some strange yellow clouds and was turned into a creeping mist husk.

My max speed wet from 2.5 to 3.999 and I was so fast I could jump over rivers, so I did. I then went on a rampage in the nearby human civ, and since the mist stuff was all over me, I infected many more people with creeping mist husk-ism I went on to kill over 500 people and became legendary in several skills. My "friends" who i infected (but wasnt in a party with)  also got several kills on their own (some had over 30) . After my unfortunate death to bogeymen. I went into legends to look into how my buddies whom i infected held up, I noticed something odd, legends mode didn't label them as "creeping mist husks" though they still had their kills and they for some odd reason they still lived in the hamlets we destroyed (possibly by themselves) I thought this was odd so I created a new adventurer and found one of them hanging out in a house in one of the villages (killing any living things who went by)  eventually killing me. It was still a thrall, but wasn't labeled as one in legends mode, is this a intended feature or  a bug?

Also will people who get infected with this stuff ever lose their citizen status and rampage the world a bit like one would expect an evil thrall to do, the fact that they maintain their status as citizens in the hamlets they helped kill off is very odd and immersion breaking, and they didnt even get a reputation for killing either  do you plan to remedy this?

Interestingly someone recently reported something similar in fortress mode. An evil thrall left the map, then a while later it returned as part of a group of migrants. Probably the same issue.

This seems to be related to the reputations and rumors system in play with the Activated World. Since now you are no longer instantly known civ wide as an Enemy of the State for kicking a chicken in some far flung Hamlet, so also these husked citizens are not instantly and globally recognized as biological murder machines. This would be especially true if no one whom was not turned was able to escape to tell others.

The fact that they did not self ostracize is a different consideration and something as a fringe case. Currently group affiliations are kept in each entity's "soul" data. It may be a bit quirky to have a husk forget that it's a citizen and just wander off in search of yummy murder, while the folks in the next village over are still expecting to see good old Urist at the next festival day.

Also, should someone else wander into town, post rampage, and not be immediately set upon themselves, it would be difficult to assign cause to who caused all this miasma batter without witnesses to the original events. Maybe the ducks. Unless they are also husks. It could be equally plausible, to a later arrival, the some or all of the people missing from the village's heap of rotting carcasses could just as easily have fallen victim to whatever unspeakable horror befell their neighbors in some way. I imagine more forensic investigation, or inquest in general, would come into play when the law and justice system gets more work.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: March 09, 2016, 06:18:54 pm »

I could just write "snip" here but I want to be cool and different so I won't

Thanks a lot for the answer! I had completely forgotten that Toady talked about farming in DFTalk. I appreciate it that you bothered to go dig up the answer from the transcript.
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3610 on: March 09, 2016, 06:53:28 pm »

Snippity snip snip snipple snippy

That was a really good answer, thank you. That is in fact probably why.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #3611 on: March 09, 2016, 06:59:31 pm »

Do the community's efforts towards UI design make an overhaul any easier? Or is it mainly a coding dread / need to figure out what layout works best for you that holds it back? There's some really nice stuff in DFHack:
Spoiler: Pictures (click to show/hide)
They probably don't look nearly as nice at DF's default resolution, so I suspect that's a consideration.

From DF Talk 22:
"... We noticed that a lot of people were setting up this 'peasant class' of dwarves, unskilled dwarves, that were just set up for hauling. That should be a little less necessary now.
Threetoe: Except now we're going to be working with the last of these projects will be to implement new peasant classes of dwarves.
Toady: He he he. Yeah this is the kind of VPL change we were talking about. It should be exciting to see the status of your dwarves realized. And certain ones you'll be able to control more than others. Now there will be a circumstance under which you can control any dwarf to a large degree, and that's going to be the new 'Do This Now' prioritization for jobs, which will just snatch up the nearest dwarf that can do the job (like pulling a lever), and force them to do it. They'll drop what they're doing and save your fortress. Might stress them out a little bit, depending on the kind of dwarf, but you'll be able to do that finally. And furthermore we are mindful of things like the trading jobs, the harvest, and so on, and hopefully that'll be handled with the new job selection model overall.
   We are trying to stay away from spreadsheets and numbers approaches that kind of open up every single job to be ranked, you know, according to different numbers for each dwarf or workshop because that is unmanageable when the number of dwarves get high.
Threetoe: Also, it's a hint where we're going with this, which is to get rid of VPL all together, eventually.
Toady: Yeah, we would really like to restrict VPL possibly to a smaller number of dwarves that are actually the types of dwarves you would be ordering around like that. And we're also aware of kind of the 'work crew' approaches that people have, and that will also be something that is under consideration when we do understand 'fortress-citizen' status a little better."

Also, as mentioned previously, they don't look to mods and dfhack for inspiration at all.

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: March 09, 2016, 08:02:19 pm »

Also, as mentioned previously, they don't look to mods and dfhack for inspiration at all.

Though there are times where I question the veracity of that statement. It seems highly likely that broad ideas at least could have resulted in at least looking at mods and thinking "hey, that's a good idea" :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: March 09, 2016, 09:37:22 pm »

Are we ever going to get the old "Halt in the name of the Blankety Blanks!" bandit announcement back? Also, will kobolds ever be able to talk to other kobolds?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:27 pm »

Though there are times where I question the veracity of that statement. It seems highly likely that broad ideas at least could have resulted in at least looking at mods and thinking "hey, that's a good idea" :V
They read the suggestions board thoroughly. Most mods give players what they've been asking for, and generally players asking for stuff end up on the suggestions board at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 306