Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846101 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3645 on: March 12, 2016, 11:52:19 pm »

And when the pole is on the south.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: March 13, 2016, 12:04:04 am »

Perhaps the world is truely square in DF universe?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: March 13, 2016, 01:04:18 am »

I'd guess it would only logically occur in the instance of a worldgen having both poles. If it lacks a pole, then we could simply assume that the "world" is only the extent of the known world and not the entirety of the globe.

Any anomalies between the world size and the implied size of the globe (based on the presence of both poles) could either be abstracted away, or you could think of whatever desired excuse there is for the fact that a pocket-sized world could contain both poles while still having Earth-like gravity.

Then again, since the world in DF is always quite literally hollow (Hell and its delicious bottomless pits), this combined with the density of slade would allow for plenty of excuses to fudge the math in favor of ignoring any "how is this tiny planet still Earth-like" questions. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: March 13, 2016, 01:10:56 am »

A square lying on the back of four elephants on the back of a giant tortoise, yeah.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: March 13, 2016, 02:26:48 am »

A square lying on the back of four elephants on the back of a giant tortoise, yeah.

Don't be silly. It would have to be a disc.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: March 13, 2016, 04:30:08 am »

No, its definitely a square. More a thick box. It rests upon the back of slurphes, the world-unicorn. When slurphes grows hungry, it eats the tops of the tallest trees. That's why trees can only grow so high.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3651 on: March 13, 2016, 05:39:30 am »

I'd guess it would only logically occur in the instance of a worldgen having both poles. If it lacks a pole, then we could simply assume that the "world" is only the extent of the known world and not the entirety of the globe.

Any anomalies between the world size and the implied size of the globe (based on the presence of both poles) could either be abstracted away, or you could think of whatever desired excuse there is for the fact that a pocket-sized world could contain both poles while still having Earth-like gravity.

Then again, since the world in DF is always quite literally hollow (Hell and its delicious bottomless pits), this combined with the density of slade would allow for plenty of excuses to fudge the math in favor of ignoring any "how is this tiny planet still Earth-like" questions. :V

That explanation does make a lot of sense. AFAIK a lot of succession forts that are supposed to be in the same universe lore-wise (but use different versions) use the explanation that its just one part of the world - I've taken to that explanation as well when doing regens so I don't feel bad about leaving projects behind.

As for the bottomless pits in Hell, I'm guessing they aren't literally "bottomless". Either they're very deep, i.e Marianas Trench deep, so you just keep falling, seemingly endlessly, until you eventually come to an abrupt halt and become the accordion version of yourself, or maybe they're actually portals to wherever the clowns come from, hence why they glow (and why you are, for all intents and purposes, considered "dead' when you jump into one).

IIRC wasn't there some teasing about alternate dimensions in future versions? Maybe then the glowing pits won't kill you but instead be used to go into the true "Hell" dimension.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: March 13, 2016, 08:44:48 am »

Alternate dimensions are more than just teasing. They're in the planning notes. The story by Threetoe, Cado's Magical Journey and following analysis goes into depth on how other dimensions could relate to each other. All this would be unique for each world (generated with the myth generator). Hopefully that'll produce some crazy 'discs on elephants' type of worlds too.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3653 on: March 13, 2016, 08:57:00 am »

Oh cool. I'm wondering if we'll be able to define our own dimensions as well at some point. That would open up a crapton of modding possibilities. I'd love to either define something akin to Draenor from WoW, or the Pure Zones from OFF.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: March 13, 2016, 07:03:44 pm »

Pretty sure they're just planes, like that magic bucket that would shift your fort into the fireplane. Seems like these would just be small pockets being like 10-25 percent the size of the map existing along side. Though it might be cool if we could define them and have them linked via portals and summoning rituals.

Disc world seems unliky but it might be a real myth.

Grus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: March 13, 2016, 07:24:47 pm »

Are there any plans to make constructed walls/floors engraveable?

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: March 13, 2016, 10:31:03 pm »

Are there plans to change from workshops over to zones/locations so dwarfs could have their own kitchens or even a small blacksmith shop in a 3x3 room in their home and if thats the case when might this be done?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: March 13, 2016, 11:05:48 pm »

Pretty sure they're just planes, like that magic bucket that would shift your fort into the fireplane. Seems like these would just be small pockets being like 10-25 percent the size of the map existing along side. Though it might be cool if we could define them and have them linked via portals and summoning rituals.

World turtles (and elephants) occur in real world myths, not just Discworld, so I wouldn't rule it out. Toady does a lot of reading in preparation for each new feature.

Probably end up being hoary marmots most of the time...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:08:03 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: March 13, 2016, 11:53:16 pm »

World turtles (and elephants) occur in real world myths, not just Discworld, so I wouldn't rule it out. Toady does a lot of reading in preparation for each new feature.

Probably end up being hoary marmots most of the time...
"In a time before time, the Ethereal Kea tickled the Celestial Dingo, making him cough up saliva. The saliva became the oceans and rivers of the World."

"In a time before time, the Lobster god Cog Telethos had a nightmare, causing him to bring grey langurs into the world."

"In a time before time, the Dwarf god Urist Endar was inspired by the vocalizations of the grey langurs. Molding microline, he created the first dwarves."
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: March 14, 2016, 03:35:02 am »

I think the ability to enter new, physical planes inhabited by magical beings or something of the sort as a late-game thing would enormously expand the playability of the game, and a player's motivation to continue forward. I'd love to see some planes that are hellish and require late-game and others that are just magical and maybe require luck or adventuring to get to. Just my wishful thinking...
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 306