Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846091 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3690 on: March 16, 2016, 06:19:58 pm »

The myth generator is looking quite interesting from what I've gathered from trawling through tweets from the GDC talk.

In short, in the program that Toady used, there are several different elements, color-coded for convenience - among them Great Beings (I'm assuming they're the Chronos-type older gods as opposed to members of pantheons), Individuals (such as Numon the Cosmic Hydra or Lezetion the Raven), "power sources" that permeate the universe, artifacts (apparently so far only two types?), planes and their connections, etc. The first elements that have no direct parent are primordial (there's also celestial, seen in this video). One element I'm not sure what they are (the Didia, the Sikyceus and the Futhete in the example), though they kind of sound like races or maybe pantheons. There also may be side myths of some kind - in the sidebar, there are a few individuals mentioned that aren't in the main text - such as Dukecete the Ibis, listed before Lezetion, and one tweet mentions egg fragments, which aren't seen at all in the screenshots.

The different races have different views, or even realities what happens to their soul after death, and in the mythology generated in the talk, "rare bloodlines" of dwarves have the ability to utilize the force of the Shifting Blood (perhaps because they were formed by it directly?).

(It also looks like the myth got a bit unlucky with a multitude of "spontaneously formed" and such. The preview video had at least one instance of X breathed into existence Y.)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: March 16, 2016, 06:30:10 pm »

Thanks, guys. And that's why I didn't green it.

NINJAED: That's pretty awesome myth stuff. I can't wait!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: March 16, 2016, 07:48:09 pm »

I wouldnt say thats weird, more like "consistent"
Mean weird as in halfway across a 129x129 in different directions.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:49 am »

[MAX_EDGE:1000] no swords until you can pick mats

Now that we CAN pick mats for stone short swords, will we ever get this restriction removed for native copper and native silver? :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: March 17, 2016, 06:07:58 am »

Some questions about the future development (Myth/artifacts/magic):

They are not suggestion, because i'm not necessarily "asking" for this, but more that I know to have an answer.

Will we ever have adamantine items in non-player fortress mode ? (trading threads, or adamantine socks ? It could be a great incentive to find and trade with deep fortresses in adventure mode !)
If yes, could we see some dwarf fortresses in Legend mode collapsing because they dug too far into adamantine ?
More generally, is the information about the circus and the clowns something people (Dwarves or others) know or not ?

Do people in DF believe in myths or are they just legends and accepted as such ? Are there some people believing, while others don't  ?

Will the myths explain the existence of the circus and the clown (and adamantine, perhaps), too ?

In your plans are Humans, elves and gobelins able to "make" artifacts or is it limited to Dwarves ?
And about magic (I don't know if you have thought about it yet, but still curious), are all intelligent races be able to do magic (human/elves/goblins/dwarves), and the same types of magic (some civilizations, limited to some types, of magic, in relation with things such as where they live or the gods they worship...).
Could other intelligent races perform magic too (dragons ? Some specific titans ? Fire-based creatures ?).
Would some non-intelligent races or "location" could have an affinity with magic without really controlling it (faeries, for example?), or even creatures based on magic ?

Thanks, Toady !
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 04:39:41 pm by Inarius »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: March 17, 2016, 07:07:12 am »

Some questions about the future development (Myth/artifacts/magic):

They are not suggestion, because i'm not necessarily "asking" for this, but more that I know to have an answer.

Will we ever have adamantine items in non-player fortress mode ? (trading threads, or adamantine socks ? It could be a great incentive to find and trade with deep fortresses in adventure mode !)
If yes, could we see some dwarf fortresses in Legend mode collapsing because they dug too far into adamantine ?
More generally, is the information about the circus and the clowns something people (Dwarves or others) know or not ?

Do people in DF believe in myths or are they just legends and accepted as such ? Are there some people believing, while others don't  ?

Will the myths explain the existence of the circus and the clown (and adamantine, perhaps), too ?

In your plans are Humans, elves and gobelins able to "make" artifacts or is it limited to Dwarves ?
And about magic (I don't know if you have thought about it yet, but still curious), are all intelligent races be able to do magic (human/elves/goblins/dwarves), and the same types of magic (some civilizations, limited to some types, of magic, in relation with things such as where they live or the gods they worship...).
Could other intelligent races perform magic too (dragons ? Some specific titans ? Fire-based creatures ?).
Would some non-intelligent races or "location" could have an affinity with magic without really controlling it (faeries, for example?), or even creatures based on magic ?

Thanks, Toady !
Toady can probably provide more in depth answers (and probably did at GDC) but as far as I understand it, the creation of the universe is unique to each world and each races affinity with magic is related directly to that creation process. Clowns and such are also part of the process, so again, could well be unique in each world. In addition each race has their own interpretation of the creation myth.

So, doesn't really answer your questions, but it could be that the only answer is 'it depends what the myth generator comes up with' (plus sliders and such on how 'mythical' you want your world to be).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: March 17, 2016, 08:08:17 am »

Everyone wants a full explanation of the Myth system in the worlds...

Toady, perhaps you could give a full rundown on the myth system your working on if possible?

Everyone is dying to know and I am sure questions are going to be pouring in (heck I have 50). Though I'd understand if that is either too much information OR if your leaving it as a surprise later. Heck I'd love a copy of that myth generator even if it is just a trial.

Ok I will say... A LOT of eggs in myth creation O-o...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:45:26 am by Neonivek »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: March 17, 2016, 10:32:09 am »

Snip

As far as the magic part goes, check out Cado's Magical Journey. While I of course recommend reading it all, (and the rest of Threetoe's stories, it's an oft-overlooked goldmine of info) at the bottom there's an analysis by Toady and Threetoe shedding some light on how they envision magic to work as well as a little bit about afterlives and other planes, supernatural beings etc.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3698 on: March 17, 2016, 11:29:25 am »

Snip

As far as the magic part goes, check out Cado's Magical Journey. While I of course recommend reading it all, (and the rest of Threetoe's stories, it's an oft-overlooked goldmine of info) at the bottom there's an analysis by Toady and Threetoe shedding some light on how they envision magic to work as well as a little bit about afterlives and other planes, supernatural beings etc.

I reccomend you guys read that aswell.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: March 17, 2016, 12:32:23 pm »

A lot of the effects in that story can be replicated to various extents with dfhack and modding, launch for telekinesis, spd 9.9 for the time-slowing, the healing with a recuperation jacking ability which could now have increasing side-effects with use, advfort can let you "open" a wall, my artifact crit/onepunch script does the "force your fist through the future" effect well.

No way to replicate something like the tracking interface to see magic threads/ley lines with any sense yet, but that does make me wonder.

Will being able to change the colors/tile/etc for track indicators end up in the raws? The yellow/green is easy to see but in some areas it makes it hard to see where you're even at, much less where you're trying to track towards. I love being able to follow people/creatures and whatnot, gives a nice adventurous feel to track them across mountains and streams and get the "you have located a lair" announcement pop up, but it's annoying when I hit a big crossroads and the entire visible region of ground is obscured with a sea of bright green/yellow.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: March 17, 2016, 01:56:30 pm »

Will there ever be randomly-generated relationships between gods? How about personalities for them? I want my dwarves' pantheons to be as colorful as the Greeks'!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: March 17, 2016, 02:02:56 pm »

Will there ever be randomly-generated relationships between gods? How about personalities for them? I want my dwarves' pantheons to be as colorful as the Greeks'!

Urist McLena, Queen cancels mandate slade mugs: interrupted by swan.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: March 17, 2016, 02:25:54 pm »

Urist McLena, Queen cancels mandate slade mugs: interrupted by swan.
Urist McPrincess cancels kill bull, cannot find path.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: March 17, 2016, 02:43:13 pm »

A lot of the effects in that story can be replicated to various extents with dfhack and modding, launch for telekinesis, spd 9.9 for the time-slowing, the healing with a recuperation jacking ability which could now have increasing side-effects with use, advfort can let you "open" a wall, my artifact crit/onepunch script does the "force your fist through the future" effect well.

As I see it, having to manually implement it and require the player to do things to get access to it means it might as well not be done at all. That's why I'm so obsessed with systems like Fortbent's classes or Sparking's ki, those don't require player input, they use a lot of hackery to make conditions happen (the former through Roses' class stuff, the latter through a bunch of stuff I wrote myself)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: March 17, 2016, 03:28:10 pm »

Relations are definitely part of the myth generator. I think it has at least been hinted that personalities and such are part of it as well, to better flesh out the Temple Building starting scenarios.

Quote from: Inarius
In relation to religion ,is any sort mythology generation (god X father of god Y, genealogy tree, relationships between gods like in most mythology or things like this) an idea you are working on, or will gods remain independant from each other ?
We've been toying around with a test generator and have quite a bit lined up now for the world gen artifact releases which will follow the tavern releases.  All sorts of new stuff should make it in.

I recall a post by Toady where he stated that Dug-too-deep events for worldgen forts almost happened during one release. Ah, here. As such, it should remain on the table, as far as adamantine and demons exist in the post-myth-generator worlds.

One of the screenshots above mentions Dorania Demons (along with an individual of those), and the preview video even had two groups named Demons, so I think it's safe to say yes here.

Artifacts won't be unique to dwarves (though strange moods probably will remain so):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Magic ability will depend on the creation myths, really. In the screenshots I linked in my earlier post, there's a magic style that's apparently unique to dwarves, but there's no way to know if in that world, there would be other magic styles open to other races and places.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 306