Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 218555 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z - A Zombie mod for Arma 2
« Reply #555 on: June 21, 2012, 01:42:29 pm »

Someone should put it in the OP so that no more groups pop up again.

EDIT: On another note, anyone else having trouble loading the map? All I see is the heightmap with the ground texture. No trees, no bushes, just ground.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:02:56 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 22, 2012, 12:17:10 am »

I was sneaking through Polana, just about to go into the general store there when out of nowhere I hear honking and an engine. I panic, look around and just tuck myself into a little corner of a building as best I can. I witness as a bus just plows through the town, honks a few times and stops outside of the store. After 10 seconds or so it drives across someone's lawn and heads off, honking all the way. At the very least it did attract some zombies away from the store entrance. I just... don't know how to respond to that sight. Other than that, decent day. After losing a double barrel shotgun to a backpack glitch, I ended up finding a pretty decent kit of gear. Most all of the accessories except a map and binocs. I've got a winchester with about 35 rounds as my main weapon, an AK with two mags in the backpack and enough food for a few days. I wouldn't mind a sidearm, a bigger pack, a map, or a canteen, but none of that is vital at the moment.

Somewhat happy with the state the game's in now. Infected might have been renerfed a bit too much, but I'd rather have them slightly deaf than seeing through buildings.

Also rediscovered that the winchester is pretty damn fun to do long range shooting with. I went prone across the valley from a hunting stand. Took out all three of the soldier infected with 5 shots from well over 500 meters. I doubt that kind of accuracy is realistic, but I'll take it.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #557 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:16 am »

Also rediscovered that the winchester is pretty damn fun to do long range shooting with. I went prone across the valley from a hunting stand. Took out all three of the soldier infected with 5 shots from well over 500 meters. I doubt that kind of accuracy is realistic, but I'll take it.

More realistic than you might think actually, depending on the grade of shot.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 22, 2012, 04:35:22 am »

Someone should put it in the OP so that no more groups pop up again.

EDIT: On another note, anyone else having trouble loading the map? All I see is the heightmap with the ground texture. No trees, no bushes, just ground.

Done.

Sorry for not keeping the OP very updated, I've kind up lost interest in DayZ due to the community.  :(
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 22, 2012, 06:28:41 am »

I had not realized this mod was making that much of a splash outside the subcommunities here and on reddit.  Ctrl-Alt-Delete covered it today.

And his blog post covers most of the reasons that DayZ is starting to irritate me.  It's pulling in a bunch of guys looking for Left 4 Dead into ArmA 2, and they don't get it.  They complain about a lot of the things that make ArmA 2 a milsim, like the inventory, running, and un-intuitive gunplay, and assume ArmA 2 must be a terrible game without ever having played it.  If they'd spend an hour or two actually trying ArmA instead of just buying for the mod, they might understand why some things that don't work well in DayZ are there.  Not to mention a lot of the bugs that are DayZ's problem are getting blamed on ArmA...yeah, the zombies are buggy as hell because the AI was meant to path effectively over a map of a small country and engage at rifle range, not look good when walking up to smack you in the face. 

It's not ArmA's fault, dammit.  DayZ takes 10% of what the engine was designed to do (small unit tactics on a massive scale), pushes it beyond its limits, and people blame ArmA for it. 

KG
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:57:09 am by kg333 »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #560 on: June 22, 2012, 07:56:30 am »

I have the DVD versions of ArmA 2 and OA, but the OA DVD does not want to install for some reason. I resorted to downloading another version with 2 dvd's online, but it doesn't ask for my key during installation. When I ran it, I did online activation, and then I couldn't install the 1.60 patch. It gave me a WRONG KEY error. I didn't patch ArmA 2, which was apparently version 1.03, so really early. Perhaps I should do that before installing OA?

I installed them both to the same directory.

Anyone else by any chance have any issues like these? :(

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 22, 2012, 08:36:47 am »

I had not realized this mod was making that much of a splash outside the subcommunities here and on reddit.  Ctrl-Alt-Delete covered it today.

And his blog post covers most of the reasons that DayZ is starting to irritate me.  It's pulling in a bunch of guys looking for Left 4 Dead into ArmA 2, and they don't get it.  They complain about a lot of the things that make ArmA 2 a milsim, like the inventory, running, and un-intuitive gunplay, and assume ArmA 2 must be a terrible game without ever having played it.  If they'd spend an hour or two actually trying ArmA instead of just buying for the mod, they might understand why some things that don't work well in DayZ are there.  Not to mention a lot of the bugs that are DayZ's problem are getting blamed on ArmA...yeah, the zombies are buggy as hell because the AI was meant to path effectively over a map of a small country and engage at rifle range, not look good when walking up to smack you in the face. 

It's not ArmA's fault, dammit.  DayZ takes 10% of what the engine was designed to do (small unit tactics on a massive scale), pushes it beyond its limits, and people blame ArmA for it. 

KG

Things like the inventory are just plain bad. It has nothing to do with arma2 being a milsim, it's just a bad inventory. Things like not being able to turn around in a doorway without the rist of shattering all your bones is the fault of the arma2 engine, and again has nothing to do with it being a milsim... it's just bad. The reason people can join a server and press a button to explode every other player connected is because Arma2 lets clients have access to the server via scripts. You can pretty much do anything you want once you're connected to a server, including spawning anything, turning players into farm animals, teleporting, etc. Again, this is a problem with Arma2 and nothing to do with it being a military sim.

The zombies AI is because Rocket just used the panicked civilian ai because he wanted it to be difficult. AFAIK he also increased the speed of the zombies to the point where servers have a hard time keeping up with them, which is why they're prone to teleport around.

These aren't things that make arma2 a milsim, these are just problems with the arma2 engine. A lot of what people are complaining about are bugs with DayZ, but the Arma2 engine is janky as fuck anyway, and people are rightly calling it out for that. Not to say Arma2 is a bad game, but you can't handwave all the problems it has with "oh but it's a hardcore military sim, so they're ok."

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 22, 2012, 08:53:05 am »

I thought all zombies are battle-pigs (Animal Path finding)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:21 am »

Things like the inventory are just plain bad. It has nothing to do with arma2 being a milsim, it's just a bad inventory. Things like not being able to turn around in a doorway without the rist of shattering all your bones is the fault of the arma2 engine, and again has nothing to do with it being a milsim... it's just bad. The reason people can join a server and press a button to explode every other player connected is because Arma2 lets clients have access to the server via scripts. You can pretty much do anything you want once you're connected to a server, including spawning anything, turning players into farm animals, teleporting, etc. Again, this is a problem with Arma2 and nothing to do with it being a military sim.

The zombies AI is because Rocket just used the panicked civilian ai because he wanted it to be difficult. AFAIK he also increased the speed of the zombies to the point where servers have a hard time keeping up with them, which is why they're prone to teleport around.

The inventory wasn't designed as an RPG inventory, which is how DayZ tries to use it.  It's usually only used as a loadout screen when buying gear at base in ArmA 2, and virtually everything in your gear is supposed to accessible when playing without ever looking at your gear screen.  It's not bad when used in its original context, but it wasn't designed for the full functionality required by an RPG.  It doesn't handle backpacks, food, water, and giving stuff to people well because it was never intended to.

I've never seen the doorway problem in ArmA 2 under normal play (and I have about 150 hours into it), so I can't comment on that.  Ladders are definitely a problem, but I can count the number of FPSes I've seen that do ladders well on one hand.  They're a classic problem.

Security is a big problem.  I don't know what the deal is with BattleEye not working well, but it doesn't.  Again, however, it's not a problem unique to ArmA; most online games I've seen have at least some problems, and games run by smaller companies like Bohemia Interactive tend to fare worse.

The other thing I see get a lot of complaints is the menu system.  The menus were designed so you could command your squad off just the function keys and mouse (select units with left hand, scroll to command with mouse wheel).  DayZ has no squad functionality, which leaves the scroll wheel menu as an irritation.  It just wasn't optimized for swapping personal items.

KG

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 22, 2012, 09:29:27 am »

I thought all zombies are battle-pigs (Animal Path finding)

They use animal pathfinding when they're just ambling around, and when they spot a player switch to panicked civilians with their destination set as the player.

The inventory wasn't designed as an RPG inventory, which is how DayZ tries to use it.  It's usually only used as a loadout screen when buying gear at base in ArmA 2, and virtually everything in your gear is supposed to accessible when playing without ever looking at your gear screen.  It's not bad when used in its original context, but it wasn't designed for the full functionality required by an RPG.  It doesn't handle backpacks, food, water, and giving stuff to people well because it was never intended to.

I've never seen the doorway problem in ArmA 2 under normal play (and I have about 150 hours into it), so I can't comment on that.  Ladders are definitely a problem, but I can count the number of FPSes I've seen that do ladders well on one hand.  They're a classic problem.

Security is a big problem.  I don't know what the deal is with BattleEye not working well, but it doesn't.  Again, however, it's not a problem unique to ArmA; most online games I've seen have at least some problems, and games run by smaller companies like Bohemia Interactive tend to fare worse.

The other thing I see get a lot of complaints is the menu system.  The menus were designed so you could command your squad off just the function keys and mouse (select units with left hand, scroll to command with mouse wheel).  DayZ has no squad functionality, which leaves the scroll wheel menu as an irritation.  It just wasn't optimized for swapping personal items.

KG

Other games doing something bad doesn't excuse Arma2 for doing those things badly too. And it certainly doesn't mean that those badly implimented things are somehow what makes Arma2 a good military sim. I get that you like the game, and that's cool, I like it too. But suggesting that people who criticise it for being janky as fuck are wrong because (it's a milsim, other games do it, it doesn't matter, you don't get it, etc) is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalala!"

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 22, 2012, 09:48:22 am »

Had some fun moments playing with buddys, Once i ran past one of them in a hallway and broke there legs, made them bleed and pass out, while I was fine (Thtb used Tackle, it's super effective) - they lost around 5000 blood, but we had a good laugh. Once I opend a door so it would slam into me and it ripped 7 000 blood from me, but I died mostly to the "you spawn in the ocean now" bug.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:02 am »

Do we have a regular server? (someone mentioned chicago 28 earlier?)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:16 am »

I'm also unable to turn around in most doorways... or narrow hallways, or catwalks. Some buildings won't let you crawl across the threshold, forcing you into standing position, possibly ending with you being dead if the reason you were crawling in the first place is looking in your direction. The multistory apartment buildings have more than once caused me and other people to bleed just from walking up the stairs. Broken legs from walking over a pile of rocks.

Yeah... there... are problems. And that's just with DayZ. My experiences with ARMA2 on it's own had a whole different type of bugginess, mostly related to AI problems.

Still, I complain, but it's one of my favorite gaming experiences of the past few years.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 22, 2012, 11:26:20 am »

I figured out what happened to my DayZ mod. One of the files corrupted, and it wasn't loading any of the map, so all I had was a heightmap to walk on and some ground textures. If anyone starts to see the map fail to load, just re-download the mod to replace your files.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 22, 2012, 12:36:57 pm »

Other games doing something bad doesn't excuse Arma2 for doing those things badly too. And it certainly doesn't mean that those badly implimented things are somehow what makes Arma2 a good military sim. I get that you like the game, and that's cool, I like it too. But suggesting that people who criticise it for being janky as fuck are wrong because (it's a milsim, other games do it, it doesn't matter, you don't get it, etc) is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalalalalala!"

You're missing my point, and I don't particularly appreciate the personal attack.  I'm trying to say it's not valid to criticize the original game for things that the mod screws up, particularly the things that worked fine unmodded, such as inventory.  For example:

I'm also unable to turn around in most doorways... or narrow hallways, or catwalks. Some buildings won't let you crawl across the threshold, forcing you into standing position, possibly ending with you being dead if the reason you were crawling in the first place is looking in your direction. The multistory apartment buildings have more than once caused me and other people to bleed just from walking up the stairs. Broken legs from walking over a pile of rocks.

Yeah... there... are problems. And that's just with DayZ. My experiences with ARMA2 on it's own had a whole different type of bugginess, mostly related to AI problems.

I've never seen injury from buildings happen in Operation Arrowhead's maps, which introduced most of the enterable buildings.  DayZ added these into Chernarus, which apparently didn't go too well.  Chernarus wasn't designed with enterable buildings in mind.

I suppose my gripe is this:  If you read Ctrl-Alt-Delete's blog post, Tim basically takes these kinds of problems in DayZ and concludes "ArmA 2 must be a terrible game; who would buy this, and why would they put the mod on this game?"    This isn't the first time I've seen people try DayZ without playing ArmA and say this, and it's not really fair to either DayZ or ArmA.  I don't think DayZ would even be possible on any other engine, since I'm not aware of any FPSes that can even handle a map that size.

KG
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58