Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Toady is working fast, damn!  (Read 25215 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady is working fast, damn!
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2012, 12:42:06 am »

Possibly you embarked pretty close to their settlements.  Don't goblins send really strong waves if you're near a dark fortress?
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2012, 02:37:33 am »

Then you would really want Toady to finish updating, so you can cross your fingers and hope some other civilizations decided to squish those gobbos, and if you have enough military fore, you can kill them yourselves.

(I see invading mode as you taking control of the squad leader, and able to issue mob commands. You should also be able to flit around and control other as well, and if the leader or whoever you're controlling goes berserk due to bad thoughts then you will lose control and have to control someone else.

Of course Toady will have to fix tantrum spiral, don't want your glorious squad turning into bickering idiots inside a fort of 100+ gobbos, do we?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2012, 03:26:21 am »

Well, I really do think Tantrum Spirals are gonna go away in the nearish future, since the personalities are going under a large rewrite. ToadyOne hasnt touched the Dorf AI brain yet though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2012, 03:41:12 pm »

I'm not exactly thrilled by the logical conclusion of this- wars in the vicinity of my fortress sending untold numbers of refugee migrants to live with me. But it is realistic.

That's what strong gates, fortified walls and heavily armed marksdwarves are for.  Dwarves don't need to be supportive of immigration or sympathetic towards refugees.
Texan fortress? Might have to find out whether the goblins are producing some sort of illegal narcotics ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2012, 03:46:51 pm »

I'm not exactly thrilled by the logical conclusion of this- wars in the vicinity of my fortress sending untold numbers of refugee migrants to live with me. But it is realistic.

That's what strong gates, fortified walls and heavily armed marksdwarves are for.  Dwarves don't need to be supportive of immigration or sympathetic towards refugees.
Texan fortress? Might have to find out whether the goblins are producing some sort of illegal narcotics ;)
Hey, we're the ones wiht the shrooms here.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2012, 06:26:38 pm »

Well, I really do think Tantrum Spirals are gonna go away in the nearish future, since the personalities are going under a large rewrite. ToadyOne hasnt touched the Dorf AI brain yet though.

This of course meaning sometime in the next decade.  :)

I don't think this is going to go into the current release, I wouldn't expect it until the next big update, which is probably going to be a couple of years off if history is any indicator.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2012, 10:24:45 pm »

I can imagine the game is going to slow down even more so now then before.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2012, 10:47:41 pm »

This of course meaning sometime in the next decade.  :)

I don't think this is going to go into the current release, I wouldn't expect it until the next big update, which is probably going to be a couple of years off if history is any indicator.
Oh, I concur that it wont be in with this release. There was a snippet in a DF talking about how messy and large of a project it'll be to rewrite dorf personalities.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2012, 12:27:12 am »

Yeah, trying to rewrite a fundamental peice of programming is a large task.

Well, if history's an indicator then it'll be almost 2 years on the dot till the next major release. I can wait that long :D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2012, 01:10:41 am »

The last major update wasnt 2 years.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2012, 01:35:38 am »

Eh, two months isn't that far off.
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2012, 01:50:19 am »

31.25 to .34 was 11 months.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2012, 01:58:03 am »

.25 was a minor release. The major release was .31.01. Therefore, it was 1y 10m between major releases.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2012, 02:16:09 am »

Thats an absurd metric. During the incremental release of .31 we got new content and bug fixes. The release gap is from .31.25 to .34.01

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:07 am »

31.17 was also a fairly major release, you know.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11