Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]

Author Topic: Armchair Economics Thread - Re-Resurrection  (Read 23688 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair Economics Thread - Re-Resurrection
« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2024, 08:30:22 pm »

You actually do see smaller scale games get gov't funding stateside fairly regularly, usually through education-related arts programs. There's not a lot of money going towards devs from that sector, but it's not zero, either.

There's also stuff like America's Army, for more directly funded efforts. So... be surprised, I guess, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 15, 2024, 08:38:32 pm »

I don’t know that the government should be “the investor of last resort” for video games. It’s tricky though, because Art is often not all that profitable in the business sense, but it is good for society. So it hinges on the extent to which games are Art, versus just unsuccessful or likely-to-be unsuccessful business ventures.

I can’t say I know the right amount of public spending for things like this… and even if you know the right amount, how do you pick who among the many requesters, gets the grants?

Maybe we should ask the AI…  ;D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 15, 2024, 08:42:50 pm »

I don’t know that the government should be “the investor of last resort” for video games. It’s tricky though, because Art is often not all that profitable in the business sense, but it is good for society. So it hinges on the extent to which games are Art, versus just unsuccessful or likely-to-be unsuccessful business ventures.

I can’t say I know the right amount of public spending for things like this… and even if you know the right amount, how do you pick who among the many requesters, gets the grants?

Maybe we should ask the AI…  ;D
Is it more moral that the government be "the investor of last resort" for movies?

But realistically, envisioning funding for video games would follow the paths of the movies.  It's more grants, non-for-profits, and educational institutions, which get some or all of their funding from The Government.  Not a check directly from Uncle Sam.

A failed example is Unclaimed World.  They had to change their name to get their government's funding, then never finished the game.  Don't be them. It would have been a cool game if they finished it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 17, 2024, 01:21:03 pm »

I've been mulling on this... I don't think it's a moral question?  I thought I hinted at it by saying "assuming you are going to spend $X public dollars on 'art', how do you decide who gets it" - maybe we're saying the same thing?

Unrelated: IMF is saying that world government debt to GDP is now approaching 1:1.  I'm not sure how this is possible other than in the bizarre world of finance.  It seems odd that you can have the entire world population in debt to itself for the entire annual output of the world.  Seems like a bookkeeping issue  :P

(Yes I know that's not how sovereign debt works, or debt in general, but it's an amusing thought process.)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 17, 2024, 02:49:20 pm »

Unrelated: IMF is saying that world government debt to GDP is now approaching 1:1.  I'm not sure how this is possible other than in the bizarre world of finance.  It seems odd that you can have the entire world population in debt to itself for the entire annual output of the world.  Seems like a bookkeeping issue  :P

(Yes I know that's not how sovereign debt works, or debt in general, but it's an amusing thought process.)
Because it's not "the entire world population in debt to itself", it's the set of world governments in debt to big bankers. :P

At some point, there will be a default. This is why the big push for perpetual bonds, for example.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 18, 2024, 11:54:05 am »

Remember: *Banks don't lose money*, but rather *people* lose money. The banks make damn sure of that.

Then again, King of France and Knights Templar.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2024, 02:54:58 pm »

Banks (and governments) are people though... and banks definitely can lose money *cough* 2007 *cough*.

Anyway, that said, there is precedent for loaning people amounts larger than their annual income; this happens often for mortgages for example.

Most of this is just a rambling, I-don't-really-have-a-point-to-make observation that I find sovereign debt, the notion of debt in general, and debt financing to be an interesting construct.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 18, 2024, 05:26:17 pm »

Actually, a 1:1 ratio of yearly earnings to earning capacity is fair normal? Like, it is an ideal ratio for college graduates, for example.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2024, 07:23:11 pm »

Wow, no wonder people are screaming about how hard it is to repay college loans these days.  When I graduated, I felt I was pushing my limits with my loan-to-income ratio of only 50% - but it was at an interest rate of 6.5%, so I have no tears for those screaming about the interest rates a few years ago.

I can accept having a mortgage at more than income, since a house is (generally) an appreciating asset and is at least collateral for the loan; something like a college loan or government loans, though, doesn't really have collateral, so one would think the acceptable loan-to-income ratio should be much less than 100%.

Then again, I'm a "true" fiscal conservative, in that I am risk averse with my money (and I don't have the huge investment returns to prove it!) and don't think that productivity magically grows on trees; I believe that true wealth is in being robust to productivity shocks (weather, politics, disease, famine, accident, etc.), not merely being able to make more revenue.  After all, the biggest bank account in the world doesn't do much good if you have no food to eat.

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 19, 2024, 10:30:29 am »

Wow, no wonder people are screaming about how hard it is to repay college loans these days.  When I graduated, I felt I was pushing my limits with my loan-to-income ratio of only 50% - but it was at an interest rate of 6.5%, so I have no tears for those screaming about the interest rates a few years ago.

To me , it might be strange to hear about the college loan , my college tuition fee is about 1000 dollars per year , with 100 dollars more for the dormitory fee , my family is not rich, but they can still afford it .
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 19, 2024, 10:42:20 am »

Interesting - rather than "about 1000 dollars per year", what is it in terms of hours of minimum wage where you are? Or in terms of, how does "100 dollars per month" compare to say your monthly rent/house payment, or how much groceries for a month typically cost?  How does "1000 dollars a year" compare to a starting salary once you'd graduate?  (When I graduated college, my starting salary for one year was basically the cost of two years of my college; That is, my private college cost about $25000 a year*, and my first salary after graduating was about $50000/year.)

I never like simple currency conversion; I prefer comparing to actual cost of living things.

For example, where I live and my family situation, our housing costs (house payment, utilities) costs about 2.5x what we spend on groceries for my family.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]