Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 06:34:35 am 
Started by Haspen - Last post by Kashyyk
A - Should at least read the report. If it turns out that Ship is well known to attack solo-droned outposts or something equally dire, we might want to deal with that first

on: Today at 06:31:08 am 
Started by Toady One - Last post by Toady One
The Bay 12 Games Report, June 1st 2024

Entering June with more menus to do.  In the next beta release, you'll be able to spit again!  (and breathe fire, and raise the dead, and roll into an armadillo person ball.)  Just going to keep plugging away.  Working to finish the beta menus, get the new systems in (deities etc.), and then merge everything back into the main release branch.  Expect there'll be some additional beta releases first for sure.

Our first ever 20% off sale went quite well!  23.7k copies in May.  Now things will be chill for a bit we expect.

on: Today at 06:24:27 am 
Started by Toady One - Last post by Toady One
Quote from: Xinrai
I've noticed that during worldgen, there is a huge boom of new sites during the first hundred years or so, after which expansion quiets down, some roads start being made, some crypts/monasteries...

Since worldgen has been made significantly faster now, would it be reasonable to slow down how quickly civilizations expand? I guess I could increase the site cap, but I'd rather have a world that's 500 years and still growing steadily.

Also, one small feature that's been missing since the steam version came out that is really bugging me:
You can't click on gods in the relationship tabs anymore! That's how I found out ages ago that my civ had their own special gods in the first place! Right now it seems like I have to build statues of them or hunt them down in legends mode to find out what appearance they have. Is this coming back?

EDIT: Oh and yeah, birthdays of my dorfs! I miss knowing those.

I'm not inclined to slow down the rates myself for vanilla.  I'd rather more disasters happened and there was other tumult with groups and such than to have less stuff.  It seems like the only relevant variable here is the abstract entity population rate (since hist fig rates are based on too many things.)  Exposing that as a parameter at some point would be reasonable for people that want a different pace.

I'll check that those are in the list of unfinished old business, and add them if not.

Quote from: aSpatula66
I recently noticed that none of the vanilla entities have stonecutter or stone carver as permitted jobs, and although modding them to have stonecutter works fine, adding stone carver does nothing and creates an error in the errorlog.

I also noticed some issues with mummies in adventure mode, they only curse you after exiting and re-entering combat with them and their curse is missing text (it just appears as "" in the announcement log.) Mummies not cursing you is something I've noticed in the previous version but the thing with text is likely because of how speech files were changed with the steam release.

Okay, I'll throw them in the bug pile.

What I meant was that although the civilizations have headwear and underwear assigned, NPCs never spawn with them as clothing. From my observations, legwear on the UNDER layer doesn't appear, bodywear on the COVER layer only appears on thieves, headwear on the UNDER layer appears but headwear on other layers don't, except for items on the COVER layer which only appear on thieves. All this only seems to apply to clothing and not armor though. I've also noticed that NPCs only generate with one clothing item per bodypart other than feet which do generate both socks and shoes.

Yeah, I didn't make an intentional change here, so I'll throw it in the bug pile.

Quote from: Fallingferret
Is support for wider/larger fonts for ASCII mode planned?

Yeah, we haven't gotten around to breaking free from the 8x12 and 32x32 limits on interface and play area elements.

Why are migrants restricted to the main species of your civilization? It makes no sense that even if half your civilization is non-dwarves they can't arrive as migrants. Maybe the first two guaranteed migrant waves could be only dwarves and after that non-dwarves are half as likely as dwarves to migrate to your fortress if you want to keep the amount of non-dwarven migrants low.

I addition to making no sense, I feel like it's a large contributing factor in spreading the misconception (especially among newer players) that species = civilization. Although I think the DF wiki is equally to blame given that they don't even have separate articles for the elven species and elven civilization, or the dwarven species and dwarven civilization, etc.

Also, why do people only immigrate to your fortress, instead of emigrating from your fortress? Maybe they would only do it if they're unhappy with your fortress and you permit them to, so that you have some control over it.

DPh Kraken: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8541078#msg8541078
aSpatula66 (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8541268#msg8541268

Yeah, as DPh Kraken said, this was about clothing as I recall.

Emigration is a much bigger deal because it takes from the player, and it was also harder to implement in the past.  It has been on the table for a while now, I just haven't gotten around to it, but I have to be careful swiping citizens from people.

Quote from: ror6ax
What's the biggest impediment for enjoyable, fast development of new features (let's say map rewrite), code-wise?

Could you share a bit more about what goes into migrating a piece of old menu to the new system? What are the issues you faced in porting UI in general?

Has Mantis been working as expected? Do you still find it useful to have community submit bugs there?

Any chance for adding sound effect on UI element clicks for additional feedback?

Any plan to make food prices less OP?

What is your favorite steam mod for the game and why?

How has the collaboration with DFhack team been recently? What is the vision for the future now that some things from DFhack like sorting are natively supported? Will you or Putnam be looking into porting more features to the game?

Just getting done with adventure mode, ha ha.  Then I should just be able to get started.  For the map rewrite specifically, some of the ways the underground layer stuff is woven into everything is going to be difficult to tease out piece meal, but it's the aim to try.

I just need to set up some scrollbars and index some textures and place some buttons.  It's not very elaborate generally, just mindnumbing at this point.  We dodged the largest issues by sticking with the ASCII grid.  Some of the layering is still annoying because we can't have graphics and text over each other more than once, which makes certain subwindows impossible to do, especially at smaller overall resolutions/window sizes.  It would be easier if they could all live together nicely without thinking about overlap.  Keyboard support is of course an ongoing challenge.

I know the Mantis has had some bumps, which I haven't heard about recently, so hopefully it's working.  I haven't really been deeply into the new Mantis yet since the basic menu work isn't done.

We already have the sounds avaiable, I just have to link them in, for adventure mode menus.  For fort mode menus, we need to have a whole meeting with the audio team etc. since the two engines for the modes need to be linked up etc etc.

Food has always been a bit weird.  We tightened a lot of the prices for the initial release, but if food prices are still out of control, they should be fixed, yeah.

Not aware of the mods currently.  Been pretty tunnel-visioned on menus and the surrounding matters.

Everything's been going well with DFHack as far as I can tell.  I don't have a specific list of DFHack features that I'm looking at at this time but I'm sure it'll come up again.

Quote from: Buttery_Mess
Up until now, the artistic team has mostly been playing catch up to existing in game assets. When it's done with that, will there be the opportunity for new plants and animals to be added to the game? Or should I stop praying for hawthorne, magnolias and fuschias to be added and mod it in myself?

As it stands, in adventurer mode, nothing can really keep up a jogging pace for that long without getting knackered. Although endurance is varied as is recuperation, afaik recuperation can't be trained. Consequently dwarves, or anything else, can't ever really train to run marathons. Is this something that might change when you take another look at combat? What really stands out in the combat code that you want to take a look at?

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8542362#msg8542362
Buttery_Mess (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8542372#msg8542372

I'm not sure when we'll get new plants and animals!  The art team isn't really the blocker there, just the current ones not feeling fleshed out enough kind of.  Things like capybaras being the only ones with sounds and all that.

Ranged combat is the worst.  Endurance generally is trouble for sure.  How death works could be changed.  Skills should be more interesting.  Special attack opportunities are deeply silly and should be integrated into some whole other mechanism.  And so forth.

Quote from: Zaerosz
This user claims that a dwarf in their fortress succumbed to melancholy, but a cave-in incident caused his skull to be shattered and his brain to be severely damaged; following treatment and recovery, that dwarf is no longer suffering from melancholy, has resumed eating and drinking, and no longer has any memory of his family. Is this an actual deliberate feature (recovery from insanity, I mean, but also the memory loss) that went undocumented at some point, or a fascinating bug that (IMO) should be elevated to feature? Or just a rando on the internet making up stories, I suppose.

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8542521#msg8542521
aSpatula66: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8542526#msg8542526

Yeah, there isn't anything deliberate here anyway, ha ha.

on: Today at 05:16:14 am 
Started by Haspen - Last post by brewer bob
B

on: Today at 04:56:00 am 
Started by Dermonster - Last post by Akura
Quote from: Random Youtube comment
My professor handled the phrase "confusion boners turning into murder boners" a lot better than I thought she would.

on: Today at 03:46:08 am 
Started by EuchreJack - Last post by lemon10
Russia isn't subservient to China or anything, but they clearly need China far more then China needs them.
Sure China needs oil, but they can get oil and coal from someone else, it might just cost more.
On the flip side Russia can't get the stuff they need in bulk from anyone except China due to sanctions, sure they *can* get around them to some extent, but due to the sanctions and high tech level of much of the stuff they want (notably chips and machine tools) doing so would be vastly more difficult then it is for China to just get fuel from someone else.

on: Today at 03:27:11 am 
Started by Skyrunner - Last post by Uthimienure
The proclamation of 1219

on: Today at 03:22:17 am 
Started by EuchreJack - Last post by Maximum Spin
I'd question if China is failing to gain energy independence... They may have a massive hoarding program in progress, filling storage pits with Russian oil as fast as the pits can built.
Well, usually by "energy independence" we mean through actual domestic production, lol, but that's not inconceivable in and of itself, it just wouldn't count as independence.

like producing raw resources to pay Russia's trade deficit with China, etc...
(Russia has a trade surplus with China - I think you just mean making up the trade itself, not deficit or surplus.)

on: Today at 03:21:18 am 
Started by EuchreJack - Last post by Lord Shonus
I'd question if China is failing to gain energy independence... They may have a massive hoarding program in progress, filling storage pits with Russian oil as fast as the pits can built.

You can't hoard your way out of not being able to meet your own energy needs. China already has a ludicrous appetite for energy, and (unlike most countries that already have high energy demands) their need for power is growing rapidly because large swathes of the country are still underdeveloped. They're currently building quite a lot of coal plants (albeit of advanced design, and largely to replace existing and much worse coal burners) despite coal being almost certainly the worst fuel source from an economic as well as an ecological one. They just need the power generation that badly and can't build anything else fast enough to meet their needs.

on: Today at 03:15:26 am 
Started by EuchreJack - Last post by anewaname

Bleahhh... now I am wondering where the displaced Ukrainians are within Russia and what grunt work they are doing... like producing raw resources to pay Russia's trade deficit with China, etc...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10