Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Simple Mod - Liquifaction at the Screw Press (Now even simpler!)  (Read 3696 times)

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was compiling a list of potential products when I came across water in both solid and liquid states.  Thinking a bit about the use of it, I recalled that a lot of people have trouble in arctic/desert/salt watery biomes because of the inability to keep wounded dwarves alive in the beginning if they get hurt.  So I created a simple solution that allows them to make a bit of water from plants and/or ice, but not enough for a bunch of settlers to create a mist-generator or anything (unless they're really, really HFS-bent on doing so).

May have to try making a refrigerator sometime and see if there's much fun to be had in making ice...

The directions are simple...
1) Enter the following lines somewhere in dwarf section of the entity_default file:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2) Create a file called 'reaction_liquifaction' and add it to the raws:

3) Generate a world and have fun!

Edited 120811: Changed workshop to screw press, added boulder-to-water reaction.
Edited 120812: Added Meph's alcohol-to-water reaction.
Edited 120816: Removal of unnecessary [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:___] tags, general spacing clean-up, and added preserved cloth reagent to plant-to-water reaction.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:23:12 pm by Malecus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Simple Mod - Liquifier's Workshop
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:28:15 am »

2 comments on this:

The ice to water wont work. If you bring the ice boulder underground to the workshop, the ice boulder will melt before it reaches the workshop. If the ice boulder survives till the workshop, the created water will be ice, because it is obviuosly too cold for ice to melt. This leads to either always having ice, or always having nothing,since the ice-reagents melts.

Pressing water out of plants works. But instead of adding a seperate building for it, I would add the reaction to the existing screw press.

just my 2 cents
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Mod - Liquifier's Workshop
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:20:44 am »

I beg to differ in that I've tested it a few times, and the ice to water reaction does indeed work.  You just have to make sure you haven't placed the building deep in the bowels of your fort.  I ran a test with a dabbling presser using a workshop just underground with a bucket 15 squares away, and while it took the dwarf a little over a thousand ticks to complete the reaction because of his lack of skill, he was still able to complete it and create the water (meaning the ice spent just over 1500 ticks in super-zero conditions without melting).  The water in the bucket then stayed liquid for 9 months before I stopped monitoring it and considered the reaction a success.  Maybe if you've got an established fort and put the building on Z = -12 with your bucket storage somewhere around Z = +2, but by that time you really should have hit the caverns and be able to get water through an underground lake.  I suppose I could add in a third reaction that takes any boulder and has a very small chance of producing only a single unit of water and claim that true dwarves know the secret of being able to squeeze water from a stone (they're still working on extracting blood).  It would allow for a less spatially/thermally aware player have a chance to create water without needing to set up a new building and maybe clean up some of the spare boulders that always seem to litter the corners of a fort.

Thanks for the tip about being able to use the screw press, though!  I have so much fun doodling with the Workshop Painter that it never occurs to me that a pre-existing building might already be perfect for my needs.  I'll update the first post accordingly.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Simple Mod - Liquifaction at the Screw Press (Now even simpler!)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:04:13 am »

I do have both of these things in my mod, but I never got the ice-to-water to work in a fort. Good to know that it does, if the circumstances are right.

Would you consider a third solution? Filtering the water out of alcoholic drinks. I do allow the ice-trick, pressing water from quarry bush leaves, and turning alcohol into water.

[REACTION:PURIFY_WATER]
   [NAME:purify water from booze]
   [BUILDING:BREWERY:CUSTOM_SHIFT_P] => should be still for your purpose
   [REAGENT:booze:150:DRINK:NONE:NONE:NONE][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [REAGENT:container1:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [CONTAINS:booze]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
      [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
        [REAGENT:bucket:1:BUCKET:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [EMPTY]
      [DOES_NOT_ABSORB]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
      [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
        [PRODUCT:100:7:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE]
      [PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:bucket]
   [PRODUCT:20:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:ALCOHOL_VAPOR] =>  delete this
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   [SKILL:BREWING]

OH, and I said this once before, still love your avatar. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:07:05 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 04:12:07 pm »

Pretty cool looking, though it does have the problems that Meph pointed out. Also just a note here, but a good mist generator really only takes 1 7/7 block of water to function. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 07:14:43 pm »

i2amroy: Thanks, but it's difficult to turn a few units of water into a full 7/7 block without a sufficient amount of preparation and timing.  Also, players that know how to create a really good mist generator are rarer than an ideal migrant.  Most wind up creating a semi-random drowning trap for dwarves and a prime syndrome vector for a forgotten beast's post-mortem revenge.  Best to keep their egos unbruised and say "it's not really possible".

Meph: Excellent idea!  The concept of using alcohol as the reagent never occurred to me!  (Must be an inherited dwarven mindset that doesn't want to waste a drop of booze.)  I'll add it to the first post.  And thanks for the thumbs-up on my avatar.  I can think of no symbol more appropriate for the average fortress experience from the perspective of a dwarf.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 07:27:25 pm »

The symbol of torment. Obtained from your first true self, after one of the best discussions ever written for videogames.

Do you know that you can create 7/7 liquid directly in workshops ? Not water in buckets to drink, but actual flowing water, to fill channels and such ;)

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 07:38:44 pm »

"...the rune acts like a lodestone, drawing other tormented souls to you."  When the Rune is invoked, even the earth shall resonate its anguish.  Torment of the mind.  Torment of the body.  Torment of the soul.  All will be made clear when the Circle is drawn.

And yes; I've been boggling about the possibilities of generating water and magma.  Somewhere down on my list of things to mod around with is a fountain.  I think the balancing act I'd have to do on such a mod will be deciding what feels like a cheat and what feels like an additional feature.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:44:11 pm »

My idea for this is this:

1 Reaction: A complicated alchemical reaction to create a water/fire-potion/gem/mcguffin.
2 Reaction: Spawn it at the "Spawn Location" I have in my mod.

1 Reaction: Furnace that required magma. Can fill a container with magma for free
2 Reaction: Spawn/Unload it at the "Spawn Location" I mentioned.

Last idea (not sure if possible): Make a Magma/Water Gargoyle. Using interactions it can spawn water/magma as long as it stands in water/magma. This way people who already have access to a small amount of it can fill their moats easier.  The code for making them only use the interaction when already in contact with it is: IE_LOCATION:IN_WATER or IE_LOCATION:IN_MAGMA
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:47:00 pm by Meph »

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 08:28:30 pm »

Don't hesitate to use the potential of pseudo-science for that McGuffin!  You could refine pitchblende into a quasi-Uranium substance (a metal "moonlite" named for it's soft glow and an instantly-gaseous stone with an inhaled syndrome termed "skinmelt" to represent radiation exposure?) and then use that substance as the excuse for why the building produces magma.  You could have it convert a boulder of useless stone into magma and claim that the weird energies of the substance causes the stone to melt.  And then line the moat with floors and walls of ice as a lark and to complete your raised middle finger to real physics.  Water might be more difficult with pesudo-science but techno-babble that it's a "phase-state transmutation" and see if anyone buys it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 08:57:32 pm »

Nah... we have dragons. And kobolds stealing socks, even if the sock is burning and worn by a dwarf that doesnt care and walks to the booze stockpile. We dont need pseudo-science or physics. I just put it down to magic. Magical magic thing makes magma.

Otherwise: Take rock, tons of fuel, make a big fire, melt the rock. Unrealistic, but then again my screw press can already press 10 coal into diamonds. HA, take that physics.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:16:52 am »

Thanks for the reactions Malecus! I was searching for ice+bucket so I wouldn't have to figure out the "in bucket" wording myself.
I'll have two of them in OldGenesis as stingier versions: seven plants in. Only 2 water out from ice (much spilling).

Just had an idea that you two might want to implement: grind rock to a bagful of sand. But which rock is best for glassmaking?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:00:25 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 10:46:17 am »

Your reactions are using [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] in a lot more places than they seem like they should, which results in some reactions behaving in ways that don't really make sense:
1. PURIFY_ALCOHOL always produces 7 units of water, whether you used a barrel of 25 alcohol or a barrel of 1 alcohol.
2. SQUEEZE_PLANTS always produces 1 unit of water, even if you use a stack of 5 plants.

[edit] TomiTapio: what exactly is [REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:WATER:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] supposed to mean?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 11:26:49 am »

Hi Malecus, Here's my 2c on this topic, feel free to grab any part appeals to you.

option 1 to make several 7/7's of water
(1) Build the water distillery or fountain (in principle this should be hard for balance purpose)
(2) Create bottled water item from flasks
(3) Deploy water into barrel, recycling empty flask
(4) Dismantle/cave in on top of barrel

option 2
(1) Get ice boulders & fuel
(3) Melt ice into barrel
(4) Dismantle/cave in on top of barrel

option 3,
(1) Build a distillery
(2) build 1 water tanker cart per route
(3) tram route with a watertanker set with an autodump stop,
(4) queue up REACTION:FILL_WATERTANKER desired # of times

tools

reactions

buildings

for completeness the fountain

As is it makes glaciers/deserts a bit too easy because the BUILDING_WORKSHOP:FOUNTAIN is easy and REACTION:MAKE_BOTTLE_WATER doesn't consume a lot reagents.  For myself I "House rules" not to build the fountain workshop if I couldn't build a well in the same room.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »

2 comments on that:

1. The fountain will be changed/removed in my mod. Completely forgot about it.
2. The does_not_determine_product_amount is needed so that a big stack of alcohol does not produce more water then the bucket can fit. This water would then be created in one stack, outside the bucket, and just spill away.
Pages: [1] 2