Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]

Author Topic: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment  (Read 36117 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons 2011 - Now with 50% less thread disappointment
« Reply #405 on: March 03, 2011, 09:03:49 pm »

From the game's page on steam:

About the Game
A mighty hero stalks through a dark, dank dungeon making life miserable for hordes of pitiable monsters as he steals anything and everything not bolted to the floor. Been there, done that - about a thousand times? Then it is definitely time to switch sides and show that hero just who's who in the dungeon!

Assume the role of a mighty (and mighty evil) Dungeon Lord and create your own diabolical demesnes underground. Dim-witted goblin workers tremble as they await your orders and dig corridors and rooms into the rock at your command.

Heroes will visit your dungeon in search of battle and treasure. Naturally, you could always just annihilate them with a snap of your fingers. But isn't it more entertaining and deliciously evil to watch them attain their heart's desire - and then take take it ALL away?

I don't have any idea when pre-orders went on sale, but you HAD to look at that page to buy the game. Can you show me where it was marketed as an RTS or Tower defense game within 6 months of release?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 03, 2011, 09:46:12 pm »

Been there, done that - about a thousand times? Then it is definitely time to switch sides and show that hero just who's who in the dungeon!

By "showing who's who in the dungeon" all it means is "you play the guy who builds dungeons."

The disconnect is that the guy who "builds dungeons" doesn't build them to satisfy heroes he builds them to protect his stuff and kill intruders.  Heroes are supposed to be the side effect not the goal.

I should know, I'm running Dragon Mountain for my D&D group.  I have all of the monster and NPC motivations at my fingertips.  They didn't build their plane-shifting mountain to make heroes happy, oh god no.  The built it to keep heroes out and have done a mighty good job of it.  The dragon who owns the mountain spent hundreds of years researching magical theory before even acquiring the place; she's frikkin old.  She doesn't let adventurers into her mountain so she can watch them run around having fun (before killing them for deliscious souls).  NO!  Her kobold minions take care of any intruders for her, steal their stuff, and add it to her hoard as tribute.

In fact, when the party does finally reach Infyrana (assuming they do), she has been masquerading as their ally for a week or more, the dragon is in fact her high priest who she's punishing for not taking care of the problem properly, and when she does reveal herself she offers them an ultimatum: "Give me your stuff, or we can fight (and I'll win)."

I mean....seriously:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:53:10 pm by Draco18s »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 04, 2011, 03:45:24 am »

Are you kidding?!
Setting, maybe, but this is precisely the game I was hoping for as soon as the first information started coming out.  Clearly we expect different things from it.  It sure as hell isn't Dungeon Keeper, but I liked Theme Hospital better than Dungeon Keeper anyway.

If it was a Theme style game I'd have been happy, but it's still much more like Mud TV than Theme Park or Theme Hospital.
For my money this game was a disappointment.

I'd really like a new theme hospital actually, why hasn't someone made one?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 04, 2011, 03:47:48 am »

"I'd really like a new theme hospital actually, why hasn't someone made one?"

Oooooooh trust me they have. Multiple times.

They are ALL garbage.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 04, 2011, 03:49:40 am »

"I'd really like a new theme hospital actually, why hasn't someone made one?"

Oooooooh trust me they have. Multiple times.

They are ALL garbage.

Well obviously I mean one that was as good as the original, the others don't count :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 04, 2011, 03:52:07 am »

I'd say someone seriously needs to make a Dungeon Tycoon or something... but it would be a tough game to make.

They would be better off making a Princess Maker or something... ohh wait they are already copying that. That dang Magic school game that charges you PER YEAR! Though there is that flash game that copies Princess Maker quite closely but it turns it into such a shameless dungeon crawl game it sort of loses the whole point of the game.

What about Monster Rancher? Anyone making their own version of that? Noo? Why not!?! DANG IT! (Actually that is the game I want to make... if only because the gameplay mechanics are simple enough to pull off given that they are all straight forward math based on randomisation and straight forward albiet hidden variables... too bad I can't code)

Ok why can't people make simple games simply well? It isn't rocket science...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:55:18 am by Neonivek »

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 04, 2011, 06:15:32 am »

They would be better off making a Princess Maker or something...
By the way, have you tried PrincessRL, the roguelike "remake" of Princess Maker? It's actually a pretty good take on the game, at least in my opinion, especially taking into account that it's a 7DRL. The dungeon parts of the game feature a pretty original (for roguelikes, that is) combo-based combat system.

Anyone interested can find it here: http://doryen.eptalys.net/libtcod/projects/princessrl/
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 04, 2011, 04:07:14 pm »

I don't know... the BEST part of Princess Maker wasn't the dungeons.

To the point where the game REALLY needed to make their dungeons more fun as they were boring (really REALLY boring)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 04, 2011, 04:41:20 pm »

Split dungeon/civilian games never seem that fun to me.  Princess Maker and Recettear both have that issue.  Both the dungeon game and the 'back home' side are equally important, but the dungeon side takes an awful lot longer to do...and that throws fun balance off.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 04, 2011, 05:15:42 pm »

Split dungeon/civilian games never seem that fun to me.  Princess Maker and Recettear both have that issue.  Both the dungeon game and the 'back home' side are equally important, but the dungeon side takes an awful lot longer to do...and that throws fun balance off.

Another problem is that because you train outside the dungeon... you easily make the dungeon pointless just by training.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 08, 2011, 06:17:45 pm »

So if anyone is still playing this...

The biggest problem I always run into is pleasing all my heroes with the "Taking Damage" want.  My heroes seem to group up a lot, and then you wind up with six heroes steamrolling big packs of monsters so fast they don't take damage.  If I bump the monster levels up high enough to give those groups a challenge, lone heroes will just get eaten.

I think this happens the worst when I put my monsters within sight of a thoroughfare (or put two monster spawns close enough together that by the time one is dead, another is respawned)...but is there a better way to take care of it all?  Once I've got enough gates open in Amusement mode, there's just so many heroes that I don't have room for all the monsters I want.

(Also:  I've been relying on the Slime monsters an awful lot.  Fighter-types do very little damage to them, which means fights take a while and one spawn can fill up a single hero's Taking Damage want; mages do a ton of damage to them, so it fills up their Dealing Damage want real fast, they slaughter the enemies and move on.  Is that a decent choice, are there better ones?  Bats seem like they're only good for drawing heroes into a room, and Beholders seem like kind of a waste, but I'm not sure.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 08, 2011, 06:46:08 pm »

I haven't played in a while, but for me the answer was spreading your spawners way out, never grouping more than a couple. If your dungeon gets too full, run through and purge the heroes. No shame in that.

I'll probably start playing it again before too long, but most of my game time is split between WAR, Goblin Camp, and League of Legends.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]