Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Castle Story - Castle building RTS with mining and 'splosions. Still devin'  (Read 67238 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Story - Castle building RTS with mining and 'splosions!
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 10:07:27 pm »

Also, instead of saying how much you want to throw money at the developers, post your expectations and hopes for what the game will turn out to be.
Because it'd be long.
It's a lot more interesting to read about than "lol omergawd shut up and take my money hurrr"

Creatures
Yeah, Being able to pick between a variety of 'creatures' would be interesting, and it would help visually differentiate different players and factions from each other.

Items and Materials
I don't know what you mean by recipes and crafting matrixes, wuhh?
In any case, right now rocks are brought to stockpiles in bags and are automatically turned into rocks when it's full. I'm hoping that in the future a mason will grab the rocks and bring them to a workshop to turn them into usable stone, or they can be turned into a smelter, or a workshop of some sort. I don't know about the workshops though, it would kinda work like DF, but I don't know if the game will focus on it, or if the game will even have any 'civilian' jobs other than the miners and carpenters that gather resources.

In fact, I'm going to just officially add "worthless but shiny materials" to the list.
To expand upon the bit about NPC traders and villages, selling these 'worthless' things to villages for more useful stuff could come into play, especially if the town is near resources that you don't have good access to.

As for importing/exporting, it would be nice to be able to import/export individual building blueprints, so if you have a specific kind of tower or keep you like to use all the time you can just load it up and place it down and the workers will begin constructing it without having to do it piece by piece each time.

Oh, and in addition to stairs there should be ramps that take up two spaces horizontally but allow for easier movement up/down or if siege equipment is added, allow them to use the ramps.

Wooden buildings would be nice as well, especially for weak beginning or perimeter defenses. EDIT: oh, and scaffoldings of some sort would be nice, they wouldn't provide any protection from projectiles and would be very easy to destroy, but they would allow taller stone walls to be built quicker.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:09:53 pm by OzyTheSage »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 10:19:30 pm »

My first thought was Warcraft III when I saw those trees.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 10:24:43 pm »

This seems amazing, as stated before. I hope the worker AI is more I than A. But time will tell if this becomes a gem.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 10:25:41 pm »

Also, instead of saying how much you want to throw money at the developers, post your expectations and hopes for what the game will turn out to be.
Because it'd be long.
It's a lot more interesting to read about than "lol omergawd shut up and take my money hurrr"
Well, true.

I don't know what you mean by recipes and crafting matrixes, wuhh?
I just mean that thing where you've got blocks, barrels, and crowns, and stone, iron, and gold, and making any of the former out of any of the latter will work. Possibly with some exceptions or limitations, of course, though I tend to be a fan of letting people make gold beds and fern swords if they really want to.

In any case, right now rocks are brought to stockpiles in bags and are automatically turned into rocks when it's full. I'm hoping that in the future a mason will grab the rocks and bring them to a workshop to turn them into usable stone, or they can be turned into a smelter, or a workshop of some sort. I don't know about the workshops though, it would kinda work like DF, but I don't know if the game will focus on it, or if the game will even have any 'civilian' jobs other than the miners and carpenters that gather resources.
I like this too. I suspect iconic structures would work better than full workshops, though; a smelter or forge rather than a workshop-sized smelter or forge that you stand in, or a carving table rather than a stonecrafter's shop.

I could also see some value to breaking that down even further, but that's probably be too complex to be worth it. Letting you design your crafting stations with different parameters might be viable, though.

To expand upon the bit about NPC traders and villages, selling these 'worthless' things to villages for more useful stuff could come into play, especially if the town is near resources that you don't have good access to.
Or in my case, other way around.

As for importing/exporting, it would be nice to be able to import/export individual building blueprints, so if you have a specific kind of tower or keep you like to use all the time you can just load it up and place it down and the workers will begin constructing it without having to do it piece by piece each time.
This is also a really good idea. I'm a little concerned that might encourage you to just build and save something that works, then just spam it every time you need something roughly similar, though. I'm not sure how valid a concern that is.

Oh, and in addition to stairs there should be ramps that take up two spaces horizontally but allow for easier movement up/down or if siege equipment is added, allow them to use the ramps.
Not sure how these would be different from two-wide stairs, though. I don't think making stairs uniformly bad but compact would be a very good idea.

If we do get siege weapons/carts/wagons/horses, that might be good, but then you get the opposite problem of why would you ever not use ramps. I guess making them rise slower could do the trick, since that'd make them both bulkier and slower.

Wooden buildings would be nice as well, especially for weak beginning or perimeter defenses.
Yeah. I'd kind of like it if there was some reason to use wood as well, beyond immediate survival, wood-exclusive objects, and aesthetics. Not that there's anything wrong with having a material whose only function is bridges and personal preference, it'd just be nice.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 10:28:10 pm »

My first thought was Warcraft III when I saw those trees.

Same.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 11:11:02 pm »

I go away from my thread to sleep and work and it gets shutdown for image spam!
however, your post about this is a much better version than mine, thanks for reopening this with a better title and some pictures.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:15:42 pm by optimumtact »
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 11:13:21 pm »

It pays to be thorough!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 11:16:43 pm »

I want some stealth mechanics, so I can rig the enemy base with explosives.
Thank you based dwarf.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 11:35:36 pm »

I want some stealth mechanics, so I can rig the enemy base with explosives.

Digging underneath the enemy castle to explode everything beneath it and sending it raining down into the sea below...

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 03:42:06 am »

This indeed seem very attractive! while many here seem to suggest that it is looking like a Dwarf fortress style of game, i think that this is actually a super enhanced iteration to the stronghold style of play. here's hoping they pull it through. my only concerns are the intense need of camera tweaking and how "smooth" it will be to build things for the user.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 07:18:03 am »

Just give it modability, similar to how Minecraft doesn't support mods but gets hacked wide open and modded to hell and back.  Do that, then come back with a DF overhaul that gives all your little yellows unique names and needs.

A big problem of these games, particularly originating with Minecraft, is that space is voluntary.  In MC, you can successfully live in a 3x3 hole in the dirt.  In DF, if you attempt this, you get your dwarves slaughtered and tantrum spirals in spades.  This is because MC demands nothing of you, while DF demands everything of every dwarf.  If Castle Story doesn't demand anything of the citizens, then I don't see big construction being fun.  Sure, it's entertaining to build a classic castle, but if your workers just stand in the courtyard because they have no needs, then it gets boring awfully fast.

DF construction beauty is mandated, you must build something if you want to survive, and even the most bare-bones construction will be more than nothing.  MC construction is about 98% voluntary, and you only see people building for fun.  CS will need to demand construction of you, otherwise people will do one interesting project and leave, because there's nothing else to do.  For this reason I really REALLY hope that CS workers will need some basic requirements, like food and maybe water, though I could see water being an FPS black-hole once you get a lake spilling over into the abyss.  If certain actions need room, like how DF squads need barracks, then that'd add some space too.  Really, anything that forces the user to create space is helpful, so long as you let the user define that space.  The 3x3 barracks ala Age of Empires aren't fun.  The Terraria houses of custom size, shape, light source, and hard surface, are much more entertaining.

Require the player to build something to advance, but let the player define the shape of it.  Things will escalate from there and architecture will happen naturally.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 10:40:36 am »

^

You put that a lot more elegantly than I would have, Girlinhat. That's the exact reason Minecraft started dying on me - There was no game mechanic to support me building the stuff I was making.

Of course, I hope they go a different direction than Dwarf Fortress and make the room a requirement for a mook, rather than having the mook appear and need a room. Having to build too much can also be a bad thing. It becomes tedious when you have to build more stuff to accommodate the population influx and just aren't in the mood for it.

Here's to hoping for some very basic RPG elements, moving islands, and villages you can trade with/assimilate/nuke.

Also: Having more options than just the yellow guys, and the ability to customize mooks on an individual basis (Hats, weapons, backpacks, armbands, boots, gloves, boots, cloaks, etc) would make this game infinitely better. I don't care if they don't include humans, or even if the different races are just different shaped humanoid blobs with no distinct qualities beyond aesthetics. Having more options is always a good thing. Throw different themed blocks to go along with each 'race' (Which can, of course, be used by anyone) and we'd be golden.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 11:08:18 am »

Well, perhaps not room-to-room basis, but if a communal barracks would server 20 mooks with 10 beds, then that'd be fair, but yeah DF's style of immigrants can be overwhelming.  Then again DF never claimed to be fair, and tossing that migrant wave of 20 into the communal bunk beds is fairly realistic.  You have to EARN your room!  Although I am fond of my overpopulation, I think a limiter based on food would be better.  They can sleep on the dirt so long as they have raw rice to chew on.  Let my unwashed peasants loiter in the courtyard, sleep beside the walls, eat well, and die valiantly.  But CS looks a bit more friendly, probably won't have the DF peasant brutality that we all love...  Considering how not-dwarfcore it appears, you may need a fully furnished room before a mook moves in, because we don't like to be mean to our mooks, right?

Berekän

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 11:17:05 am »

Hopefully it will be mod-friendly and some bit of brutality could be added  :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:47 am »

Yeah, it could probably function more like traditional RTS supply/population systems, with each unit of living space you construct supporting x number of yellows, with specialized buildings supporting specialized yellows (melee fighters, archers, masons, carpenters, etc.). Just let us dictate the size and shape; so long as it meets a minimum size, it can support population, with increased support at certain milestones of space.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32