Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: penguinofhonor's RTD-RPG Adventure Turn 1410: Attack, Fight!  (Read 25412 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
penguinofhonor's RTD-RPG Adventure Turn 1410: Attack, Fight!
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:37:28 pm »

Introduction

Hey, everyone. It's RTD time. I had an RTD back before we had an RTD forum, but it kind of got overwhelming and I quit. So here we go with a new one, which I will attempt to make less work while still being fun.

Basically, this RTD is going to be a little more structured than most. It's going to be a dungeon-crawling adventure with a small party of player characters, centered around a town I'm going to name Haccenville. Basically, five of you are going to start out in a Haccenville, equip yourselves, charge into a generic fantasy dungeon, get sweet loot, return to town, rinse, and repeat. Dead characters will be replaced with new ones upon returning to the town, and if the entire party dies in a dungeon then an entirely new party will be created.

Since this is based off generic fantasy games, it's going to be a little less free-form than most RTDs but that's because I don't want to have an aneurysm. I can't handle as much as Sean Mirrsen and I know it. You can't leave the town until everyone decides to, and you can't leave a dungeon until you beat it or everyone dies. There's going to be a semi-rigid skill/magic system, and I'll detail that in a post soon.

The town has shops and stuff, currently you can only be humans (no race penalties/bonuses), and magic is a forgotten art. But after completing some dungeons and bringing some cool stuff back, you'll unlock all sorts of new stuff in the town. So basically stuff gets cooler as time goes on. There are five slots for new players now, and currently no waiting list, but eventually I'll get to that.

If you're in town, you can take a break, meaning someone else will get your spot and you get put on the waiting list. But instead of starting out with a new character, you'll get your old one back. In addition, if I'm feeling nice, characters on break can do a couple things in town while the main party is in town. For instance, if you want to get a sword the main party unlocked, you can. You just can't leave the town.

Players
Current Adventuring Party
  • dermonster
  • SHAD0Wdump
  • Ryan (inteuniso)
  • Luke_Prowler
  • Jetsquirrel

Adventurers in the Telltale Inn
  • Quote from: Haika
    10/10 HP 5/5 MP 50 gold
    Body: Normal.
    Equipment: Spear. Chain mail. Leaping chain leggings.
    Inventory: 2 light healing potions. Curing potion. Healing powder. Stiletto.
    Skills: Level 2 Spearman (2/4).
    Magic: Equipment (Leaping chain leggings).

Waiting List for Throws You off the Back of a Wagon Travel Agencies
  • Haika
  • Chris (zchris13)
  • cheddarius
  • KineseN

Rules
Basic Stuff
So every turn, all of the adventurers post an action. And I roll a six-sided dice. The result is determined by a dice roll.
  • epic fail, basically you fail and hilarity/disaster ensues
  • fail, you don't get what you want
  • meh, you might fail and you might succeed partially, depends on my mercy
  • basic success, you might succeed partially and you might succeed fully, once again depends on my mercy
  • perfect success, you basically get what you want how you want it, possibly even doing the impossible
  • overshot, you succeed anywhere from partially to perfectly and hilarity/disaster ensues, or occasionally incredible success

Combat is a bit different. The attacker rolls for accuracy, then damage. A 6 on accuracy will get a +1 on the resulting damage roll. A 1 on either will probably result in you getting counterattacked. Increasing your Accuracy and Damage increase those rolls, and increasing your Dodge and Defense decreases Accuracy and Damage rolls of people attacking you.

Every turn, you can get one or two free actions. These are simple things like moving short distances, using potions, and picking things up. You don't need to point out that you're "using your free action" to do them. If you have to wonder whether something counts as a free action, it probably isn't. Just say "I pick up the gold and summon a platypus." In this situation, summoning the platypus is obviously the roll while picking the gold up is the free action.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:26:50 pm by penguinofhonor »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: penguinofhonor's RTD-RPG, starting soon, reserve your spot!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:38:04 pm »

Mechanics
Weapons
So weapons are generally what you will attack with. They have bonuses and/or penalties, an associated weapon skill (sword, axe, daggers, etc.), and an amount of hands necessary to use them. Some have a special ability that triggers on accuracy overshots.

These are the hand numbers:
  • 0H: No-handed. These weapons take up a hand, but you don't have them ready all the time. They're things like daggers that you can whip out and hit someone with if you have a free hand. Very useful for ranged characters that need a close-range weapon.
  • 1H: One-handed. These are the simplest weapons, which just, obviously, use one hand, freeing the other up for a shield or a 0H weapon.
  • 1.5H: Hand-and-a-half. These weapons can either be used with one hand or two. All hand-and-a-half weapons have either a bonus when used with two hands or a penalty when used with one. They're versatile as you can use them for power or trade that off for the use of your other hand. You'll automatically use them with two hands if you have a free hand.
  • 2HR: Two-handed ranged weapons. These require a second hand to reload, but you can still use a 0H weapon with them. Ranged weapons can attack from a distance and can't be countered.
  • 2H: Two-handed weapons. These are large weapons that require you to use both hands to hold them. You can't use 0H weapons with them and you can't hold a shield or anything with them.

Armor Negation: Armor Negation is an ability weapons have that basically means that they lower the opponent's defense when you're attacking, but only if they have armor, and it doesn't lower it past normal. For instance, if you're attacking a target with +1 defense and you have Armor Negation 1, then the -1 to your damage is negated. But if you had Armor Negation 2, then you wouldn't get +1 damage, it's just that your penalty would be negated. Complete Armor Negation does exactly what it says, treating the target as if they don't have any armor on.

Skills
Skills let you do non-magical things better. Making items, fighting, and all that jazz. You have to learn the first level spending time practicing, but after that they level up through use. The first level takes 1 experience, the second takes 2 on top of that, the third takes 4 more, and the final takes another 8.
Generally, combat skills work like this:
Level (XP)MeleeRanged
1 [1]You can gain experience through using the skill.You can gain experience through using the skill.
2 [2]+1 accuracy+1 accuracy
3 [4]1.5H can be used as 1H with no penalty, 2H weapons can be 1H with -1 accuracy/-1 damageCan use any shield with 2HR weapons with a -1 accuracy penalty
4 [8]+1 damage+1 damage

Creation skills like woodcrafting and alchemy typically work like this.
Level (XP)Bonus
1 (1)You can gain experience through using the skill.
2 (2)+1 to using the skill
3 (4)Optional -1 to overshots
4 (8)+1 to using the skill

Some skills have exceptions. For instance, hand-to-hand combat is weak and has crappy weapons if any, but gives you defensive bonuses when you're unarmed.
Spoiler: Skill Exceptions (click to show/hide)

Magic
Magic is currently a forgotten art. You can't do that stuff yet, but it'll function similar to skills.

HP
Each character has an HP bar, with the base at 10 HP. I'll determine exactly how damage is dealt. You can still get limbs lopped off and get terrible injuries, and those can take off your max HP. Each limb lost takes off 2 of it, and organ damage takes the last 2. You'll be dealt damage at the end of each turn if you're bleeding heavily.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:20:21 am by penguinofhonor »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:39:08 pm »

Haccenville Shops
Bob's Weapon Shack
All ammo is 2 for one gold, ranged weapons come with 15 of their ammo
Swords
Short Sword (8 gold): 1H, +1 accuracy, +1 accuracy next turn on overshots
Bastard Sword (12 gold): 1.5H, +1 accuracy, +1 damage when 2H
Spears
Spear (13 gold): 1.5H, +1 damage, armor negation 1, -1 accuracy when 1H
Trident (10 gold): 1H, armor negation 2
Maces/Flails
Mace (9 gold): 1H, +1 damage, +1 damage for a turn on overshots
Hammers
Warhammer (13 gold): 1.5H, +1 damage, +1 accuracy when 2H
Maul (15 gold): 2H, +2 damage, -1 dodge
Whips
Whip (9 gold): 1H, +1 damage against unarmored targets, +1 damage against wounded targets
Knives
Knife (4 gold): 0H, +1 accuracy/+1 damage on sneak attacks
Stiletto (5 gold): 0H, armor negation 1
Bows
Shortbow (10 gold): 2HR, +1 damage at short range, -1 accuracy at long range, -1 to target's dodge next turn on overshots
Crossbows
Crossbow (11 gold): 2HR, +1 damage, -1 accuracy, armor negation 1

The Best Defense is a Good Defense
Body Armor
Leather Armor (10 gold): +1 defense against slash/blunt
Chain Mail (15 gold): +2 defense against slash/pierce, -1 dodge
Insulated Leather Armor (12 gold): +1 defense against blunt/fire/ice
Leg Armor
Leather Leggings (8 gold): +1 defense against blunt
Chain Leggings (13 gold): +1 defense against slash/pierce
Shields
Buckler (7 gold): +1 defense against melee slash/blunt if you haven't attacked this turn, doesn't use a weapon hand
Round Shield ([color=9 gold[/color]): +1 melee defense, -1 dodge
Kite Shield (11 gold): +1 defense, -1 dodge, can't counterattack

No Deadly Poisons Disguised as Healing Potions or Your Money Back
Potions
Light Healing Potion (3 gold): Cures bumps and scratches.
Medium Healing Potion (6 gold): Cures more serious wounds.
Curing Potion (2 gold): Cures all but the strongest diseases.
Mana Potion (5 gold): Restores some MP.
Powders
Light Healing Powder (7 gold): Cures light surface wounds on all nearby allies.
Curing Powder (5 gold): Cures diseases on all nearby allies.

The Spelling Bee
Basic Magic (10 gold)
Fire, Ice, Healing
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:52:24 pm by penguinofhonor »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:41:27 pm »

reserved
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:45:15 pm »

Totally in... just lemme read the rest of this...

Name: SHAD0Wdump (for simplicities sake)
Preferred starting equipment(?): Bow & arrows + Buckler
Backstory(small): A aspiring archer that has the unique talent of using a bow and buckler in tandem.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:02:49 am by SHAD0Wdump »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:27:05 am »

There's no starting equipment. You'll start out stark naked with some gold and you'll buy it on the first turn, then you'll get the first quest.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 12:31:41 am »

interesting, I'll take a spot here. I'll just be Haika for ease of gameplay. I'll probably add more rp type stuff as we go.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 12:33:15 am »

Jumping in

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 12:45:34 am »

reserved

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:05:32 am »

Okay, so that's everyone now. We'll get a waiting list in a while. I'm updating the shops a bit.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 01:32:38 am »

I'll take a place.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 01:35:50 am »

How much gold?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: penguinofhonor's RTD-RPG Turn 0, buy your supplies!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 02:20:41 am »

Okay, now let's get this going.

Turn 0
You, five adventurers, are roughly thrown out of a speeding wagon as it passes through Haccenville. Your clothes taken as payment for the ride, you cover your private areas and look around. A small village, Haccenville is home to a couple mundane shops and a few shacks. Thanking yourselves that the people you hooked a ride with could only see what you had equipped, you each pull a bag containing 30 gold out of your inventory. You would have put your underwear there but they would have probably gotten suspicious if none of you were wearing underwear.

Brought together by chance, you five share some sort of inexplicable bond. Maybe it's fate, maybe it's the fact that you've all seen each other's bums, but whatever it is you feel like you'd die for these people. Well, maybe not die for, but you'd definitely help them out if they were in trouble. And you probably wouldn't charge them much for the favor.

You notice that people have left their hovels and are staring at you. These aren't the normal "five naked people have just been dropped off  in the middle of our town" stares - you're used to that. They're talking to each other and pointing at the only slightly decorated building in town too much and not staring at your naughty bits enough for that. You suspect that you've just fulfilled some crazy prophecy and they're going to worship you or something.

On cue, a man in a funky hat steps out of the almost-decorated-enough-to-warrant-the-word building and promptly has a heart attack at the sight of you.

"Oh, come on, they're not that ugly," SHAD0Wdump says, attempting humor. This just incites gasps from the populace, causing several of them to rush up to you and push you into the church. Fearing they're going to cook you alive and feast on your tender, bare flesh, you resist, but they just shove you harder.

Upon entering the church, you see mosaics on the walls, depicting five suspiciously familiar naked people being thrown out of a cart and a priest-looking sort of person dropping dead at the sight of them. One of them even has a speech bubble saying, "Oh, come on, they're not that ugly," italics and all.

A man in a hat that's almost as funky as the last priest-guy's hat walks up to you, speaking. "You must be the warriors of prophecy. This is the church of Nico Pichas Charuben, and our ancient mosaics have foretold your arrival in our small village of Hacceville. We have been told by our god that, if we provide you with free transportation to the multitude of conveniently monster-occupied caves surrounding the village, you will cause our town's economy to thrive."

"Oh, sweet," one of you says. "So where's our equipment? We're kind of vulnerable now."

The priest looks at you in surprise, then annoyance. "Well, we can't just hand out free stuff to every prophesied nude that walks up to us. You have some gold. Go buy it yourselves."

The five of you walk out in the street, happy at the chance to kill some monsters, but annoyed that you aren't getting any equipment. Looking down the street, you see Joe's Weapon Shack, The Best Defense is a Good Defense, and No Deadly Poisons Disguised as Healing Potions or Your Money Back. If you're going to go on a dungeon crawl, you better get equipped first.

---

So you guys can just buy weapons and armor with your 30 gold. You don't need to have a roll now unless you want to train with whatever weapon you have. After next turn, you'll get on a wagon and head out to the first dungeon. You don't have any healing magic, but it's not going to be "oh god we're going to die" hard. Also I've decided that you guys are going to have HP to more resemble video games, but I'm going to determine how damage works (i.e. it's not going to be "this sword deals 1d6+1 damage"). Also just because you have an HP bar doesn't mean you can't get your limbs lopped off.

Statuses
Spoiler: Statuses (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:29:24 am by penguinofhonor »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 02:21:35 am »

Can't believe I missed this.  Your last one was gold.  Put me on the waiting list, please.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: penguinofhonor's RTD-RPG Turn 0, get your supplies!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 02:52:55 am »

Shortbow(10),buckler(7),leather armor(10),light healing potion(3).

I then ask hopefully for some trousers to protect my dignity.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:00:15 am by SHAD0Wdump »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13