Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 106

Author Topic: Life and Times of Strife26  (Read 141594 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Strife26
« Reply #1170 on: March 31, 2011, 09:14:59 am »

Quad post!

Still here. Talked to my dad for awhile. Some surveyors came by the house and told us that our wall is only up to 38.8 feet now (Because the ground is slowly sinking over time). It's a really narrow wall (five inches wide or so) so about the only thing we could do to raise it would be to use some plywood and a hammer-drill. Even then, getting more than two more feet would be pretty tough.

38.8 is in the 80-90% range, from what I've heard. 40.5 is 50% . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 02, 2011, 08:32:06 pm »

Quint post?

Been in airports, in the air, and in holding for 44 hours now. I just changed my socks. Never has a sock change felt so good. I'm in Salt Lake City right now, and should be home at just about the 48 hour point. Went through Atlanta, which I didn't care for (the free internet is a sham and the USO seems to be unfindable and not listed on any maps only that it's somewhere on the third floor. I combed that third floor out of boredom and didn't find it). SLC seems pretty nice, although I'm a little out of it at the moment. I've been crashing hard on the airplane rides, so hopefully jet lag won't rear its horrid head.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 02, 2011, 08:34:40 pm »

Oh it's coming. Just in time for the flood. I emphasize with the sock change though. Socks are constantly underestimated.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 03, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

It did. I'm beating it with caffeine.

Back in Fargo. Took 47 hours total in the air and at various airports/ secured holding facilities. It's really nice to see my cats, although I didn't get to sleep in my own bed (because of some family friends who're staying in the queen size mattress that got moved their from the basement). The river is coming up fast enough to be noticed over the course of a few hours work. We've got some kinda plan for getting our wall secured to 41 feet or so, but I'm not positive exactly how it's going to work, unless we cut our deck in half again (and on the problem of the deck, it's looking a lot like it's going to fall in the next few years, meh). Looking like I'm going to have an awfully unrestful R&R leave.

Interesting, the river is actually rising quickly enough that I said "the river has risen noticeably since the last time I commented on it." I'm considering buying a cheap digital camera tomorrow (as well as doing all of my shopping, as long as I'm in the states), so I'll get some pictures up soonish.

Other than that, I finally got to get my hands on a crayon reward that's been sitting here for a few months. Pretty good picture of a goblin. I don't really care for gobs much though, so I guess that I'll have to donate for another one. I got a sword too (I ordered it in OSUT). I judge it to be a pretty short broadsword. It looks okay, although I'm not sure how much I'd trust it for anti-zombie use. It doesn't have any kind of edge right now, so I'm going to have an awkward conversation with a professional blade sharpener sometime soon.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 06, 2011, 06:23:28 pm »

I'm famous?

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/314969/

Residents take action

<Strife26> is spending his two-week R&R leave from the U.S. Army helping his family protect their four-level split home on Forest River Road, just south of Fargo’s 76th Avenue South.

The bottom two levels of the home flooded in 2009, and Strife was airlifted out of the house.

The family increased its flood preparations this year to include an additional retaining wall, plastic around the garage and six pumps to handle any leaks.

On Tuesday, Strifey and two friends worked on constructing the retaining wall that will be added to a 38-foot concrete wall already in the backyard.

Strife, 19, who returns to his deployment in Iraq on April 18, said he’s “cautiously optimistic” that the preparations they’re making will keep the house safe.

“Right now we’ve got a good plan, I think we’re going to finish it on time, and we’ve got enough pumps to deal with leaks,” Kaseman said.

I'll have a full update in a few hours, plus pictures (taken with my DS).

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 06, 2011, 07:43:01 pm »

Kaseman, 19, who returns to his deployment in Iraq on April 18, said he’s “cautiously optimistic” that the preparations they’re making will keep the house safe.

You do have other emotions, don't you?  But yeah bro, good luck.  I told my parents about it, and they send their best wishes; they were really impressed with you.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 06, 2011, 08:35:17 pm »

I'm famous?

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/314969/

Residents take action

<Strife26> is spending his two-week R&R leave from the U.S. Army helping his family protect their four-level split home on Forest River Road, just south of Fargo’s 76th Avenue South.

The bottom two levels of the home flooded in 2009, and Strife was airlifted out of the house.

The family increased its flood preparations this year to include an additional retaining wall, plastic around the garage and six pumps to handle any leaks.

On Tuesday, Strifey and two friends worked on constructing the retaining wall that will be added to a 38-foot concrete wall already in the backyard.

Strife, 19, who returns to his deployment in Iraq on April 18, said he’s “cautiously optimistic” that the preparations they’re making will keep the house safe.

“Right now we’ve got a good plan, I think we’re going to finish it on time, and we’ve got enough pumps to deal with leaks,” Kaseman said.

I'll have a full update in a few hours, plus pictures (taken with my DS).

Not famous, just in the military, they can wave the flag if they mention you being on leave... Also, was there any point redacting your name if you posted a link containing it? Just sayin'.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 06, 2011, 09:34:57 pm »

Not famous, just in the military, they can wave the flag if they mention you being on leave... Also, was there any point redacting your name if you posted a link containing it? Just sayin'.

Actually, that was more sarcasm on my part, I've got various addresses listed throughout this thread, with my name (and rank) on all of them, and Org (iirc, someone did) took it upon himself to track down my facebook page. My name floats around pretty easily around these forums. My normal names in FG&RP (when I'm not Strife, or one of my disparate characters) are usually anagrams of Kaseman or Strife (Trifes, Sefirt, Masenak, Namesak-e, ect.).  If there had been a few more examples of my name, I probably would have gotten some interesting variations, although they probably wouldn't have been very funny.

While my main emotion is cautiously optimistic and I strive to attain it whenever possible, I do go through a couple of others. Extreme anger is characterized by my left hand clenching while I imagine that I've got a combat knife in hand, vague annoyance (which is actually very common) puts my left hand on my knife, or with a thumb in my left pocket (where I used to keep a combat knife, before I was ordered to stop carrying it). I'll get erratic moods where the connections that I make in conversation get even more tenuous than normal. Hand to the bridge of my nose when I'm tired/stressed (or napping at every available time, including when standing). Rubbing the back of my head in social situations. Tapping stuff when I'm depressed or getting annoyed with my father.

Then we've got the flood-haze, which is what I'm just coming off right now (and that I was in when I claimed to be cautiously optimistic). I *always* get physically sick around flood time, it's almost certainly psychosomatic. I stop sleeping, get a really runny nose (to the point where I don't notice it dripping), and overall feel like I'm doomed. However, my good old pride won't let me appear to do any less than anyone else who is helping, so I take a flood cocktail. 3 Dayquil, 800 mg Ibuprofen, two cups of coffee with a fair amount of sugar and enough milk that they're cool enough to chug. Cup of coffee after four hours, along with some kind of solid food. Another Dayquil at the 8 hour mark with more coffee. Crash at about hour 12 or 13, followed by a long night of not sleeping (I usually end up getting out of bed after a few hours and going online, but usually am depressed and apathetic enough not to do anything but trawl tv tropes). It's not all that pleasant, but damn if I every other person doesn't tell my parents that I'm a really hard worker.

By all rights, I should be in the midst of it right now, but I'm feeling surprisingly fine. I really think that it's my optimism that's seeing me through. Starting on Monday, I've been working during the days with Doug and Al, who are friends of a family friend. We've been kicking ass and taking names, doing everything that needed to be done a lot faster than I expected. This year, we've gotten sandbags prefilled and on pallets (and Al has been using his *tracked* skidsteer to put them right where we needed to build up the wall), so that's a chunk and a half of time saved, as filling and moving sandbags is the bulk of the work. I also put a fair chunk of the reason for me not crashing right now is the fact that I managed to get a few hours of sleep last night (via http://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k & http://www.rainymood.com/, awesomely enough).

We're almost done with the flood preparation now. All that's left is a little section of sandbagging left in the driveway. Other than that, I'm going to clean up scrap wood and lost screws from underneath the deck (lest a pump eat them) and try to put a mini wall in one of the spots that I think was leaking in '09. I'm optimistic, which is a really really good thing. 

The road is getting diked off in the morning, and they aren't going to allow any traffic on it until they finish (then it'll be one lane), so I'll probably post more observations tomorrow. I'll be just hanging with my cats for most of the day. :D   Interestingly, I realized that being stuck in a house not unlike mine would make a really good start for a zombie apoc game, stuck in the middle of a lake would keep one isolated until the horde got big enough to become a threat.

Pictures will be up tomorrow, as it got dark earlier than I expected here.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 07, 2011, 09:51:29 am »

Cautious optimism has flown out the window and been replaced with extreme concern. The fucking water rose a couple of feet over the night, so it's over halfway up the wall now. It's a damn good thing we're finishing everything a day or two early because the water's going up faster than I've ever seen.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 07, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »

Cautious optimism has flown out the window and been replaced with extreme concern.

That's one of the most ominous things I've ever heard.  Sounds like we might have to start a Strife Relief Fund.  Holy crap, good luck man.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 07, 2011, 08:14:21 pm »

It was looking really really bad for a bit there. River continued its "come up an ungodly large distance during the night, against all expectations" streak. Of course, this put it at the base of the sandbag dike (the *unfinished* dike) and starting to come across the road down always. It was raining as well, plus a bunch of ice melted in our perimeter, so there was a bunch of standing water, with no pumps set up to get it out. Also, there's a couple of holes in the concrete wall letting water flow in. Pretty alarming, especially as I was the only one not at work. A *lot* of hard work followed, (and I was feeling very bad about the situation) but the water has slowed down considerably. It's almost ready to come across the road at us, but the dike is all finished. We've got a few of the pumps ready to go, including a newly bought skimmer-pump to deal with the under-deck flow. See what's up in the morning now. I've finally taken my bdu combat boots off, which is nice. Probably going to eat something too.

Took some (100ish) pictures as it was getting dark. Not sure why, but a few pictures I took of myself in Ft. Hood are in the Album as well. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=54677&id=100000134965494&l=46698b1525

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 07, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »

Shit, eh? For no reason in particular I sent you a friend request, ignore it if you want.

Hope the water comes down soon, that looks bad.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 07, 2011, 08:27:46 pm »

I suppose that I'll accept it and add another city to the "places where I know people" list.

Don't worry about starting a Strife Relief Fund, even if the house floods, I still get a nice, tax-free paycheck on the 15th . . .
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77899.195

Fuck.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 07, 2011, 08:35:31 pm »

I suppose that I'll accept it and add another city to the "places where I know people" list.

Don't worry about starting a Strife Relief Fund, even if the house floods, I still get a nice, tax-free paycheck on the 15th . . .
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77899.195

Fuck.

Yeah. That really sucks. I suppose you're due for something good now.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 07, 2011, 10:08:12 pm »

Floody type update. The parents headed out awhile ago to get the cars to high ground (we're planning to keep the pickup for now) and get some drainage plugs, but they're not being allowed back down the road (only one access path to this street) right now, due to dike building. So I'm stuck here with the cats. The skimmer pump outside isn't working, and I'm not going to mess around with it at night (in accordance with lawful order to not get myself electrocuted). It should be fine without it, the normal sump in the basement is working fine, and not even working hard at that. If need be, I can fire one of the sewer type grinder pumps as well, but I shouldn't require it. The water under the deck isn't hurting anything at the moment.

Cats are really starting to go stir crazy, especially my huntress cat, Molly. We had the following conversation:

Molly: Looks at me, looks at door, looks at me.
Strife26: No.
Molly: Meroaw. Meow?
Strife26: No.
Molly: Meow?
Me: Nope
Molly: Meow?
Me: Negative.
Meow?
Nopers
Meow?
Signs point to no.
(and so on)