Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 106

Author Topic: Life and Times of Strife26  (Read 141851 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Strife26
« Reply #1290 on: June 12, 2011, 02:41:16 pm »

I'd just like to note that the computers here are increasingly being broken and cannibalized to keep the maximum number running. I'm using two mice right now. One doesn't have a functioning left click, while the other wont scroll left or right. I'm getting surprisingly good at using them in tandem.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 13, 2011, 02:06:06 am »

Also, I've just remembered something that I've been wanting to complain about for a very long time. I tend to get a fair number of my calories from bowl of cereal. Semi-healthy, semi-easy, pretty tasty. We've been out of milk for the past two weeks. Not just the kind of milk I like (2%) but all types of milk. Strife hasn't had a good bowl of cereal in far far too long. I did have a bowl of dry cinnamon toast crunch this morning, but it wasn't all that much.

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 13, 2011, 01:15:18 pm »

Just to make sure that the life advice part of this forum stays active, and to let my opinions have their own non-derailing section, I decided to make my own thread!

Expect to see little stories from my own life in here as well, as I continue to try to get into West Point.

Other than that, here I am:

Strife26
17 year old male
Fargo, ND
5’4”
112 pounds (a little too much, really, need to get down to 103)

School:
Junior
Advanced classes (somewhat mediocre grades)
JROTC

Activities:
Speech, Debate, Student Congress (like debate, but better).
JROTC stuff (commander of knowledge bowl, sometimes shows up for PT, yearly armed x dropout)

Work:
Busser at a relatively nice local steakhouse

Religion:
Tolerant semi-Lutheran (does not liked organized religion on a larger scale than parish).

Political Stance:
Right leaning independent (with hope for Obama)

Dreams:
Become a tanker.

I’m an ultra patriot as well.

I’ll add more stuff as it comes up.

Good luck in Libya, bro.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 13, 2011, 02:27:05 pm »

...Have you read the thread? He's sorta in Iraq.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 14, 2011, 01:21:20 am »

Mind you, if the army told me that I was going to Libya, I'd be damn happy for me personally, worried as heck for my unit, and wondering wth the country was thinking.

Doing well enough. I'm on KP today, so lots of flashbacks to my old bussing job. Thinking about some semi-regular features to flesh this thread out, almost in the sense of a real, taggable blog.

Watched Ultraviolet last night, didn't care for it. Seemed a lot like Equilibrium but much more poorly done. Felt really sorry for all of the gas masked, long coated mooks. Considering writing a story from one of their perspectives.

I actually got Civ4 to install on my crappy laptop again. Not sure what the deal is with the damn disk drive, but it worked well enough this time. Played for a bit, it's nice to have something continuous like that to do, but I'm not sure if it's the best use of my time. Doing some note taking for board type stuff (getting all the basic weapon information down in my nice notepad today)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 15, 2011, 06:16:12 pm »

Doing well enough here, watched the lunar eclipse for awhile. Heck if it doesn't get light at about 0100 here. My sleep schedule hasn't really been scheduled lately, but I'm making do.

Changed my sig, old one was just an advertisement for my forum game, White Rabbit. Considering that there's some mind screw tendency to the game, I figured that not actually having the link go there to be appropriate. Not really much to say.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 15, 2011, 08:27:39 pm »

So long as you mention your signature, what does “No Fear of Fiddler's Green,” mean?

Kandi Apple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 15, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »

Yea.  What he said.  What's fiddlers green?   

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 15, 2011, 10:00:27 pm »

It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 15, 2011, 10:06:46 pm »

Yes! What a wonderous tool is Google! There is but one ill that plagues it: Google is intolerably poor at conversation; such is why I posted. I asked Strife so I might enjoy exchanges with my friends.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 17, 2011, 12:37:43 am »

Well, there's actually a number of different reason's why "No Fear of Fiddler's Green" is always in my signature (at least while I'm in Iraq, I took it down for R&R)

First and fore-mostly, Fiddler's Green is being used in it's cavalry afterlife sense in this case, so it's my rough way of saying that I'm not afraid to die.

Secondly, it's a little beacon of hope for me. I don't know (and I tend to doubt) that there's a Fiddler's Green for me to go to when I die, and I'm certain that I'm not fit for Heaven (how could a place of perfection have someone like me who isn't willing to change his critical flaws?). "I've resigned myself to the very real possibility of my eternal damnation" may be almost a catch-phrase for me, but there's still a chance that I'll end up in a "pleasant purgatory short of hell"

Thirdly, it identifies myself as a cavalryman, which is actually kinda a big deal. I'm a tanker, Military occupational specialty of 19Kilo. We've got a pretty bitter rivalry with Cav. scouts, who are 19Deltas. Officially, only the 19Deltas get to claim all the heritage and lore of cavalry, but I'm one of the Tanker's who care enough to call BS on the whole deal. Horse cavalry had two traditional functions, use as a scouting force, and use in direct battle. Cav scouts are clearly descended from the scouting functions, but they don't do much similar to the job of a line of heavy dragoons charging an enemy formation. Tankers, however, do. Heavy cavalry utilized Maneuver and Shock Effect to break enemy lines, we use Fire, maneuver, and shock effect. The Abrams is just as deserving of a descendant of the horse as the M3 model Bradley.

Still doing okay enough here. Lots of work lately. Got to move all the gym tents. Again. Then play Tetris with the machines. I'll show the pictures once I next get to a wireless connection.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 17, 2011, 03:08:18 pm »

As a whole, how has it been for you Strife?
I have always intended to enlist after collage, and that time is approaching, do you have any advise aside from "don't"
Thank you based dwarf.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 17, 2011, 08:51:45 pm »

Hey I used to be a 19K as well.

Don't shoot your bore evacuater with the loader 240.
Don't hit the sabot round tip on the turret roof, or it will bend, which is sad.
Cleaning out the mud, FRH soaked sub-turret sucks, dunnit?
Max effect range is 4000 meters, or 6000 meters manual input.

Gunner, PC, HEAT, identified, fire! on the waaaay... misfire on the waaay, *master-blaster*... target, target cease fire !

Don't eat oranges before gunnery.

Errr, also, this is NOT the place to talk about your profession, bro. What you say and how you act reflects upon the military service and your occupational branch. Right now, you got this sort of livejournal emo thing going on, which is not good. It looks bad. It feels bad. I am sad.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:58:02 pm by Montague »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 17, 2011, 09:14:32 pm »

Errr, also, this is NOT the place to talk about your profession, bro. What you say and how you act reflects upon the military service and your occupational branch. Right now, you got this sort of livejournal emo thing going on, which is not good. It looks bad. It feels bad. I am sad.

Livejournal emo thing?

Eh.

I'm enjoying reading about what Strife has to say, even if I don't post very often.  Feels honest.  Good to feel that we have actual people serving, and reminds me to keep an ear out for what's happening over there.

In any case, bro, thanks for your continuing hard work.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:51 pm »

Livejournal emo thing? Great input brosef.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 106