Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeast Civilizations and Other Ways for Megabeast Preservation  (Read 2520 times)

Maksie99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did a quick search beforehand but might have missed something, so please tell me if this has already been suggested.

In Dwarf Fortress I'm sort of torn between what length of history I should pick during worldgen. On one hand, a shorter time means that there's still lots of cool creatures wandering around. On the other hand, you can only really get sprawling civilizations if you let it run a little longer. But it seems it's hard to get a world with a nice population and lots of towns, but also tons of cool creatures such as titans and dragons in the world. Of course, Megabeasts would stand in the way of the growth of civilizations and could even wipe them out, but what if they got a bit smarter and stuck together instead of wandering around wreaking havoc?

Which brings me to my idea: Megabeast Civilizations. Now they wouldn't be civilized as, say, humans would be. There wouldn't be any towns or anything like that. But it means that creatures like dragons, rocs, titans that have traits in common and other megabeasts that are able to reproduce will try to seek each other out, claim a territory and shape it into their home.   I imagine it would be a concentrated amount of larger-than-normal lairs that they use to breed and hoard items. Creatures such as Rocs, Dragons and aggressive Titans would send a portion of their adult population to roam around, cause mayhem and collect valuables (especially artifacts), while Titans that are associated with good things would mostly keep to themselves.

To keep Megabeasts relevant even longer, I think Necromancers should seek out their corpses once the Megabeasts perish and reanimate them. What better pet would there be than an undead Dragon or Roc?

Historical Figures that are good at animal training might even try to tame Megabeasts in worldgen. If they tamed one, the rest of them would be easy and you could have situations where the Elves use Rocs as mounts.

Sorry if this is sort of rambling, and again, there's a good chance people already suggested it, but I wanted to get people's opinions on it. So please tell me what you think!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast Civilizations and Other Ways for Megabeast Preservation
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:59:50 pm »

It's alright to ramble on. I ramble all of the time. Whenever my brain gets working, it overthinks stuff, and I like to write all of tha out. Both of these points go double for DF suggestions and such.

Back on topic, this seems like a decent idea, although the title scared me. Another idea: Maybe megabeasts could come to mutually beneficial agreements with civs--say, a dragon offers to help protect a mountainhome from invading goblins in exchange for food, gold, shelter, and not getting killed by the dwarves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:19:56 pm »

It's alright to ramble on. I ramble all of the time. Whenever my brain gets working, it overthinks stuff, and I like to write all of tha out. Both of these points go double for DF suggestions and such.

Back on topic, this seems like a decent idea, although the title scared me. Another idea: Maybe megabeasts could come to mutually beneficial agreements with civs--say, a dragon offers to help protect a mountainhome from invading goblins in exchange for food, gold, shelter, and not getting killed by the dwarves.

More likely, a dwarven civ pays in food, gold and shelter to not be killed by the dragon, who gets his jollies killing non-dwarven neighbors. A dragon that becomes buddy-buddy with a dwarven monarch may even get armour to protects it's delicate organs from those mean, mean goblin women and children. Isn't that a Fun thought?

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:14:00 am »

The title does sound scary I'll admit that.

Something similar I have been pondering is vampires having their own civs. Not as in a town full of vamps, but more like laying a framework over towns and land that designates hunting grounds, territory and allows vampires to interact with each other. Sort of like a vampire culture that can form, with ageless vamps forming groups and packs. Could see it coming around once civs can fight each other

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:31:22 am »

Civs do fight each other. It's called war.

I like the idea of Creatures of the Night trying to run a civilization from the shadows for their own benifet, especially if A. it's not a vampire-exclusive ability (necromancers, animalpeople, demons, elves, or whatever could also try various types of behind-the-scenesing) and B. these plans would have a tendancy to run into other conspiracies in the same area. Whith hilarity ensueing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 10:53:17 am »

Civs do fight each other. It's called war.

Fight each other properly I mean. Currently they just throw troops at each other and nothing really happens. More as in after the army arc is implemented