Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Pirating, your opinion.  (Read 12059 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pirating, your opinion.
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:33:50 pm »

Ok, i figured this was the right place to put this topic so-
What do you think of pirating?
Personally, i have to rant a bit. I believe that the company should sell their game however they see fit, even though i do dislike it sometimes, i dont go to the low of pirating. If you just payed $60 dollars for a crap game, it was the companys choice to make the (Crap)game sell for 60, even though almost all new games cost that much. If you feel like you were cheated out of your money, why dont you read online reviews/the back of the case first? I hate pirating, so.
On a side note, i believe the pirate bay got purchased by a swedish telemarketer company

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Pirating, your opinion.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:45:01 pm »

Pirates of the burning sea is a good pirate mmo, bit of a grind fest though.

Oh wrong kind of piracy.

(BTW toady doesn't want people discussing torrents and what not IIRC)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:00:02 pm »

Piracy leads to raised prices leading to more piracy, cycle continues until companies are charging $60 and most of us couldn't buy new games if we wanted to. That's one excuse anyway.

(It should be fine as long as we're only talking about it legally and morally wise and not mentioning any specifics or admitting to doing it)
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:39:24 pm »

I will put my vote in that this Topic will end badly right now. It is destined by the stars!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:42:30 pm »

Ooh. i sense a flamewar.
Games has always been rediculously expensive to buy even if the price might have increase somewhat.
If piracy completely stopped the sales might increase slightly but I do not belive it matters much at all.
Readin the back of the case is rather stupid, It's made to scream "BUY ME" to whoever reads it. It's the same as asking a fanatic if his beliefs are any good.

And i'll add my vote to Neons

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:04:06 pm »

I enjoy watching swashbuckling pirates engage in fisticuffs.

I will put my vote in that this Topic will end badly right now. It is destined by the stars!

Yes. QUICK. LOCK IT! NOW! BEFORE ANYTHING EVERYTHING BAD HAPPENS!
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:42:39 pm »

If they're swashbuckling, then they aren't engaging in fisticuffs.

And our last 3 pirating discussions ended in a horrible blazing fireball, so it might be wise to kill this one quickly.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:55:31 pm »

I know people in the book business, so naturally I view copyright infringement of any sort (unless some crap has gone wrong with a legitimately obtained disk) as one of the most evil economically oriented acts the common person can do.  More people need that income than the company CEOs, after all . . . the employees get payed by that too.  Even janitors, I imagine.

But yes, this thread probably won't last long. [leaves discussion forever]
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:58:06 pm »

Yarr dirty ninjas! Your shanengans won't last long!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 08:58:33 pm »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:01:19 pm »

Hum, well, i just wanted to put this topic up here as is was thinking.. I'm helping program a game with a team right now and i finally realized my end of it. Albeit i won't accept any income from the game, it's a sci-fi space MMO though, can do stuff like[once its finished]walk around, ships need to have a crew to actually participate in combat(most of the time, unless you just rotated your ship and ran to the tactical console) anyway, it's fairly weird to think a MMO can be pirated. at the end you can go into a RTS mode on planets and place roads, buildings that actually have uses, and you can walk around... pretty complicated. Going to cover a large portion of the milky way galaxy, as databasing and coding the whole milky way would take years.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:04:11 pm »

it's fairly weird to think a MMO can be pirated
Ultima Online, Lineage, Counter-strike, half-life series, Warcraft, WoW, a lot of other examples.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:45:17 pm »

Yargh, matey. Them bastards what stole our name deserve to walk the plank and no mistake! I'm sure you'll agree.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 09:56:22 pm »

If they're swashbuckling, then they aren't engaging in fisticuffs.

Bah! Real men swashbuckle as they engage in fisticuffs!
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 12:15:54 am »

Ooh. i sense a flamewar.
Games has always been ridiculously expensive to buy even if the price might have increase somewhat.

I disagree... compared to most other forms of entertainment for a per hour price, game prices are dirt cheap even when you only play through them once. Big game titles take over years to develop... think how much the development team's salaries cost alone.

People (as a whole) are scum; if they can get away with pirating, they will do it regardless of price or if they can afford it, and in the process make all sorts of excuse to justify the stealing. It's human nature; you can see the same with drug abuse, excessive drinking, gambling and smoking.

Piracy can never be stopped completely, but only reduce it by criminalizing piracy and actively hunt them down and send them to jail. The moment you stop hunting them, piracy returns in full force.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10