Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-tile Tree Trunk Mechanics  (Read 547 times)

Glumprong

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Multi-tile Tree Trunk Mechanics
« on: November 06, 2023, 08:29:44 pm »

When do trees grow to have multi-tile trunks? Is it something set the moment they leave sapling-hood, or is there a chance each year that a 1x1 grows wider (if it belongs to a species capable of it)?

I have a fortress right now in a savage desert with quite a lot of highwood and saguaro. I started the game at year 250, it's now year 300, and none of the highwoods yet have multi-tile trunks, even though I've pretty much left them alone and only harvested saguaro. The tallest one is still only 5 z-levels.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-tile Tree Trunk Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 02:44:32 pm »

Is there anything in their way? If the ground around them is not flat and unobstructed, they won't grow. It may also be influenced by nearby trees? E.g. if the ground is clear but nearby trees are taking up all the branch space above, maybe they still can't grow.

I had a fort with Highwood trees and they frequently grew in size. Some stopped at 2x2 because their area was constrained by ramps, etc. But many of them did grow to 3x3 when there was clear space. It took less than 10 years so your 50 years sound far more than enough, if there are no obstructions.

Glumprong

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-tile Tree Trunk Mechanics
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 04:52:11 pm »

New highwoods do grow sometimes, but vegetation is sparse, and thinning out the saguaro has ensured most of them have a lot of space to grow. I'm wondering if it's an effect of aridity limiting growth somehow, but I'm not sure how to test or confirm that.