Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul  (Read 31142 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: [Beta-Relz] MMO - Metals and Minerals Overhaul
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2010, 11:26:04 am »

hey rondil, just to let you know you should warn people about not using the tileset cause its really funny that i have rat walls due to mayday's. put a note in for changing the tile number if you want rocks.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2010, 02:17:52 pm »

Rats in the Walls eh? I'd be careful how deep you dig if I were you...

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2010, 02:29:58 pm »

Good afternoon!

Impaler[WrG] - thanks for the info! I would have done much the same research before I added new minerals. I try to only put in stuff that has a purpose, instead of taking the "kitchen sink" approach.

bloodsheder - I will make a specific warning about that issue, though I would suspect that most folks would understand that by using a custom tileset, that I'd also re-assigned a lot of resources and such. It can be VERY weird when you use raws that don't match your tileset.

Lancensis - That's a true HPL classic. Glad to know that someone else still reads the good stuff!

Rochndil, who has been genning and testing, finding bugs and squishing them...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2010, 04:06:09 pm »

I saw Willemite but didn't bother creating an entry yet.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/69/3/306.pdf

Other sources listed Sphalerite as 60-62% zinc with Wurtzite and Marmatite around 50%-54% zinc.  Here Smithsonite, Hemimorphite, Willemite were tested at 46-48% zinc content by weight.   I don't have a problem lumping Smithsonite and Hemimorphite together as Calamine as they were historically known.

I personally don't like abstracting all ores as 1 stone = 1 bar when the invisible leftovers at the smelter don't cause any clutter for haulers.  Maybe some day DF will let you merge leftovers from multiple smelters into a single bar and make it even less of a problem.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2010, 05:04:06 am »

Based on your link and some other research I think combining Willemite, Zincite and Franklinite all of which occur together into one ore called "red zinc" (a name used for Zincite) would be appropriate.  It would occur in Marble and Dolomite as well as other ores like Sphalerite, Galena and other sulfides.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2010, 06:46:38 pm »

hey letting you know im editing your tileset to mayday's doing some tweaks, though im gonna create some vermin graphics to free some tiles so if any one want them they'll be ready next week.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2010, 08:39:47 am »

Good morning!

hey letting you know im editing your tileset to mayday's doing some tweaks, though im gonna create some vermin graphics to free some tiles so if any one want them they'll be ready next week.

Go for it. I'd like to see what you come up with. Just remember to properly credit the creators if you stea-, umm, BORROW their tiles. I've got a medium-sized list of updates and changes to make based on my testing so far, so there will be a new version in a week or two.

Rochndil, just about to invite the king and "discover" the HFS...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2010, 08:42:32 am »

actually i just notice something, my error log is riddle with Unrecognized Material Token: CAT, i assume this is from you.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:59 am »

Hello!

actually i just notice something, my error log is riddle with Unrecognized Material Token: CAT, i assume this is from you.

Yes, as currently implemented, to get the skulls-to-flux reaction to work, you have to put a placeholder in the reaction def, and that always throws an error. It's harmless and works regardless, but you do have to put up with it in your error.txt file.

Rochndil, who tried dozens of different formats trying to get one that worked error-free...

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2010, 03:01:07 am »

AAAAWWWRRRIGHT!!!  I'm downloading the mod now!!! :D :D :D

The alluvial sand thing is a cool idea!  It brings to mind the following thread about ceramics and high temp kilns, if you are interested, which discusses other uses for such sand deposits...

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=49525.0

If the alluvial sand could be differentiated into different kinds of sand and, if appropriate, located near their parent rock deposits, it could provide some of the raw materials for the pottery stuff talked about in the above link!  Of course, that kind of stuff would have to wait for the next release of DF...  Just some food for thought! 

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2010, 05:38:05 am »

Hello!

Yes, as currently implemented, to get the skulls-to-flux reaction to work, you have to put a placeholder in the reaction def, and that always throws an error. It's harmless and works regardless, but you do have to put up with it in your error.txt file.

Rochndil, who tried dozens of different formats trying to get one that worked error-free...

NO_SUBTYPE
NO_MATGLOSS
NO_RACEGLOSS

work without errors.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2010, 07:41:48 am »

Good morning!

Hello!

NO_SUBTYPE
NO_MATGLOSS
NO_RACEGLOSS

work without errors.

Thanks for the input, Deon. I'll try that when I work on fixing all the bugs and errors I found on this go-through. I'm pretty sure I tried all of the above when I worked the reaction out initially, but I'll give it another spin.

In other news, I've also found that the additions I made to the addy reaction created a valuable-resource-to-slag tool! How cool is that? Needless to say, those changes will be struck out in the next version. :) I'm very close to finishing my test game, and as soon as that's done I'll go back and work on all the bugs and errors I found in the process. 0.95 should be done in a week or two.

Rochndil, who also has to work on his taxes...bleah.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2010, 09:03:45 am »

Greetings.

Work progresses (slowly) on the next beta version. I've fixed a number of bugs, and am currently working on some changes.

- Nickel and Monel now are usable for arms & armor. If you can use COPPER, you can used nickel! (I actually cold-forged a nickel into an edge, and it was ok-but-not-great. Too bad I don't have an older Canadian nickel, those were actually pretty pure, American ones are 3/4 copper).
 - Seriously thinking about lowering the effectivity of copper arms & armor, maybe to 50%.
 - Fixed the reaction problem with HFS.
 - Fixed some errors with marble values and settings.
 - Changing all "special" minerals to use the * (042) icon instead of 007.
 - Changed font to use the AWESOME Dwarf Letter Gothic.
 - Researching some tileset changes, both to return some tiles to their original locations, and to replace some un-used tiles with more useful ones.
 - Considering Zinc ore suggestions received in this thread.
 - Re-test formatting of skulls reaction based on Deon's suggestions.

That's about it for the moment, though I'm always happy to entertain suggestions and critique.

Rochndil, plugging away...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2010, 10:20:46 am »

hey shouldn't forge coal count as i dunno... COAL.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2010, 06:43:27 pm »

Good evening!

hey shouldn't forge coal count as i dunno... COAL.

You can burn the various mineral sources to coke or charcoal (depending on type), after which it can be used as a fuel source. Do remember to make some charcoal first to get your furnaces going though, or you'll have a hard time getting the coal going (requires fuel). All the details are laid out in the docs - or you could just look at the reactions directly. :)

Rochndil, who should get a little MMO work done tonight...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10