Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Remember when you first saw it...  (Read 1377 times)

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remember when you first saw it...
« on: June 12, 2009, 06:23:02 am »

The first time I played dwarf fortress I put in a solid half a hour and then left it for roughly a year and a half. What about everyone else? What got you past the bad graphics and RATHER steep learning curve?
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Remember when you first saw it...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 06:26:32 am »

I had no trouble with the graphics.
I played nethack for a couple of years, then adom, then I found DF.

The learning curve though...
Let's just say I went through 2 metric shit-tonnes of trial and error.
There was a little bit of wiki hugging, but not much.
I was too impatient to read the wiki thoroughly at first.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 06:27:59 am »

I didn't even know about the wiki the first time. The only thing that made me give it a go was the absultly glowing reports that PCPowerPlay kept on giving it.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 06:30:09 am »

I don't know how I found the game itself, but the forums and wiki were easy.
I found the link here from the bay12 homepage.
Then I found the wiki immediately after hitting the forums.
Then I found Boatmurdered before I browsed the forums much.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 07:02:01 am »

There was actually apparently a Team Fortress 2 thread on my forum, but the admins misunderstood and posted about Dwarf Fortress in it, and by the time I got there the thread was called "SIGH. FINE. DWARF FORTRESS THREAD."
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:03:08 am »

What got me past the graphics and learning curve WAS the graphics and learning curve. It insulted me personally, so I took it as a challenge.
And I actually LIKE the ASCII. It's coded, and I can recognise the symbols easily.
Granted, I can't tell a black bear from a giant bat, but still.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 09:08:31 am »

I was forwarded to the Boatmurdered history and being a long time fan of Roguelike games it was just like adding gas to a fire, I've played almost daily since.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:20:48 am »

although i found out about this game from baotmurdered it was the world generation which did it for me

how many random world generators do YOU know of that individually tracks the life of each individual man, woman, dwarf and animal for 1000 years, and creates a rich history and culture from it.

Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 10:26:56 am »

although i found out about this game from baotmurdered it was the world generation which did it for me

how many random world generators do YOU know of that individually tracks the life of each individual man, woman, dwarf and animal for 1000 years, and creates a rich history and culture from it.

Same here. My jaw dropped when I first saw worldgen. The game was a confusing at first but the level of depth and the incredible number of possibilities kept me playing. I don't remember where I first found out about it though. I vaguely recall seeing a link to it in some one's sig on another forum I used to frequent.

Though I'd argue that DF doesn't have "bad" graphics so much as it has "no" graphics.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 11:07:42 am »

I had no trouble with the graphics for some reason, despite never playing any roguelike before.

I also learn very quickly, so the learning curve didn't bother me much either.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 11:20:16 am »

I discovered the game through a magizine I mysteriously got in the mail.  Don't recall the name of the mag but the first issue I got had a special edition version of a section called "The Freeloader".  DF was mentioned, and I decided to try it out.

The graphics didn't bother me at all.  Before I was playing DF I was playing hengband.

I spent my first 3 days and first 6 forts not knowing how to use the labor menu.  My last one was actually kinda successful, because if there was a job, I had at least 1 dwarf that was novice in it.  Unfortunately that last one died because the "food guy" was too buzy fishing all day to actually clean the fish he fished...or even carry them to a stockpile. 

Once I figured out the labor menu from reading the forums(not certain the wiki was around then, or at least it wasn't advertised much) I had a much easier time surviving.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 11:23:48 am »

What got me past the graphics and learning curve WAS the graphics and learning curve. It insulted me personally, so I took it as a challenge.
This, the first few of Captn Duck's video tutorials, and wikihugging. I ran into the game a few times but didn't investigate untill those tutorials were mentioned on Rock Paper Shotgun.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 11:27:44 am »

I found out about the game via Penny Arcade when they linked to TinyPirate's tutorial.

After reading the tutorial I realized I *had* to download and play the game. The more I played and and discovered the incredible depth the more addicted I became. Now I play daily and lurk on the forums and tell stories about dwarves to my friends... Just yesterday I was telling a friend I think I'll play this game for years.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 11:48:21 am »

The first time I "played" it I just looked at the ASCII graphics, and the controls, and - keep in mind, this was as a SEVEN YEAR veteran of Angband - I called it quits. Then a few days later I called up a computer gaming friend, told him about it, we downloaded a version with graphics already set up, and went about figuring it out together, using the wiki liberally.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 12:49:33 pm »

My first view was a few years ago, and I liked it, but i didnt understand it. then a few months ago, the community at Infinity-universe.com started up a succession game, just to kill time and I got back into it. And this time I spent a good month Wiki-hugging, it really is so very helpful.
Pages: [1] 2