Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)  (Read 108233 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another mist generator! (now with 4x the mist!)
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2010, 04:39:59 pm »

Magma mist is only generated from cave-ins.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2010, 05:07:49 pm »

I had magma mist while I flooded the world with magma....so... ???
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2010, 05:39:59 pm »

I had magma mist while I flooded the world with magma....so... ???

What version?

I tested creating magma mist creation from dropping it in the last version, with disappointing results.
Uploaded a map and movie.

That was pre-2010, and I suppose different conditions could be applied even in the old version.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2010, 09:47:12 pm »

that was on a version that was at least as new as 31.8...the mist was not consistently formed but as the magma rolled down a mountain side (ramps) it generated pockets of mist.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2010, 05:23:33 pm »

Here is my attempt at a major mist generator for one of my dining rooms/statue gardens.

it's not all quite hooked up in this picture due to the game crashing after i had turned it on.

the reactor on the bottom left puts out 4k power and the other setup only 3k.  both with a 500 power requirement to operate, which does not make a lot of sense to me, but it works.

Forgot to mention, as setup here require 4100 power to operate.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:25:26 pm by Boes »
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

Ragnarok Now

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2012, 03:18:08 pm »

This design concept can be used in a vertical configuration, creating a single spot of mist.  It works well for fortress entrance ways (especially with the statue/traffic routed away from the center).

This is basically a small 2 screw pump stack with both top squares channeled.  Drop a windmill on top for easy automation.  Be aware of evaporation or freezing on external setups, of course.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2012, 08:17:22 pm »

Necro much?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

SilentThunderStorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2012, 03:27:14 am »

Bah, last post was only a year and a half old... not quite a skeleton yet.

Besides, if it wasn't him it woulda been me; realized what the issue is with being able to shove around multiple blocks of water... it *isn't* "due to the way water descends z-levels" as stated in the wiki.

Rather, it is because of the nature of computers; which leads to a possible solution.

The computer is really activating one pump at a time, even if it looks like they are all active at once.

Assuming you are using a simple 4 pump system, with 4/7 water blocks places on opposite corners, the first 4/7 water block would be pumped through pump 1, and deposited in the empty square there... but then pump 2 kicks in, and picks it back up, and drops it right onto the *other* 4/7 water block, making 8/7, which leaves 1/7 leakage; and continues pumping around a single 1/7 block of water.

If this is how this works, then it wont matter how long you make the chain... the single block will be transported around the entire loop, colliding with whatever other water blocks it hits.

The trick to fixing this will take some experimentation; which, unfortunately,I don't have the time to perform myself.

I am assuming that Toady, in code, sticks all the pumps in a list (or array), and steps through the list one at a time, checks if it is active, then tries to pump the fluid, then goes to the next one... that would be the easiest and most direct way to do this.

If that is, in fact, how this works... then there is some means that the system has for deciding which pump goes first. The easiest and most direct way of doing this is build order.... although, knowing Toady, it could be something really screwy and obscure (like the algorithm he uses to get miners to decide what square to dig).

Most people, I am assuming, build their pumps in the same direction that they feed... so if pump A feeds pump B, then most people will build them in that order.  As can be seen above, that is guaranteed to make a collision happen as that first chunk of water is fed around the system.

However, if you build the system 'backwards'... by placing one pump, then the one that feeds into it, then so on... this might not occur.  Instead, the first block would move forward in the system, then the pump behind it would actuate, and water would be pumped into the square that the first block just left.  If this idea is correct, you *should* be able to push around as many blocks of water as you have pumps minus one... the empty space that the first pump fills.

=====================================

There are other unanswered questions I have about this device... Most of my forts are on paper right now (due to work and kids), but I was thinking about some implications for this device in the infamous dwarven super soldier program.

If you had two of these systems, timed properly, and fed a block of magma into one, and a block of water into the other... you *should* be able to repeatedly douse someone with magma to catch them on fire, then immediately douse them with water to put them out.

Again, assuming you could time it right, and assuming that the ideas above on pump timing are correct (big leaps, I know)... then you would never have to worry about the two systems mixing, even though they dump into and pull from the same square; the water would already be gone, and the pump that pulled the water would no longer be the pump that the computer was looking at (so you wouldn't end up with magma in your water chain, or visa versa).

First problem is timing it properly.

If the two circuits are each 4 pump circuits (for simplicity), is there any way to guarantee that they are exactly a half phase apart?  Hopefully *without* having to trigger each pump [the repeater] due to it slowing the system down, and thus causing the lava to sit too long...

This might be another build order issue. (i.e. using build order to determine which pump pumps first, etc... assuming that even works as I expect)

The second issue is with accidentally coating someone in obsidian... after being doused with water, the water block is immediately lifted back up and off of them... but they and their clothes are still wet.  Would this cause them to be entoumbed if immediately hit with magma?

============================

Well, thats my 2 cp... thank you to anyone who read through my rambling, and a beer to anyone that can confirm or deny my thoughts.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2012, 04:00:32 am »

Well, I think they're interesting thoughts, and I'd like to hear about your research regarding them :)

Build order is still a weird, poorly understood thing.  I would be happy to hear from anyone who can rectify the action of n-stage cyclic repeater with the activation of gears from pressure plates.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2012, 04:36:12 pm »

I built one of these today!

Way way way easier than a waterfall!

I am quite happy with it.

First thing I thought of was...

Why not try to create more pond zones and fill them up, there might be a way to have it move more than 1 block of 7/7 water around, which would mean MORE MIST.

Doing so might allow one to self power it with a waterwheel

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2012, 08:37:05 pm »

Why not try to create more pond zones and fill them up, there might be a way to have it move more than 1 block of 7/7 water around, which would mean MORE MIST.

Doing so might allow one to self power it with a waterwheel
IIRC somebody did that once with a huge one, but generally it's much easier to simply run two side by side. Same amount of power as 1 huge one and it doesn't have the same problems. As for powering it I tend to just set up a DWR right next to it and that is basically the equivalent of it powering itself without all the extra hassle.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2012, 03:28:50 pm »

What's the effective range of a mist generator?  I have a fort design that might be able to accomodate one, but I'm not sure how far away dwarves can be before the mist stops affecting them.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2012, 03:32:21 pm »

usually about 4-5 tiles from the source ime.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2012, 04:28:39 pm »

[Snip]

I believe your hypothesis about pump evaluation order is correct.  It is certainly something a lot of (other) people have done significant research on.

I've done some minor experimention on dousing people in magma with one of these mist generators.  The result I kept having was that the subject would sit there not being harmed at all through several cycles, then all at once (in 1 tick) half their body would melt all at once.  A few dozen ticks later they would die from blood loss.

The problem seems to arise from the mechanics of falling fluids.  Remember, the output tile and input tile for screw pumps on the same level are not the same tile; the magma has to fall before it's sucked up.  Until you're able to fine-tune the falling mechanics as well as the pumping mechanics, I don't know that your plan will work.
At last, she is done.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »

Now just replace the water with magma, get rid of those pesky statues, and it'd be perfect...
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12