Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39

Author Topic: Adventures on Monster Island  (Read 255764 times)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures on Monster Island
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 11:11:33 am »

I agree with that its not a good idea to put images to wiki  :P

Best part of DF is to imagine things yourself, which is why wiki fan art(even the crayon drawings by Toady & Three Toes) shouldn't really be in the wiki. Or at least not on creature pages, there could be collection page for crayon art rewards and for fan art.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2012, 11:33:50 am »

This is amazing. Always nice to see a legend in the making. PTW.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »

Amazing art, amazing story. Sounds a bit like "magical portal to the evil world - looking for a way back... Poor man, there is no way back.

I keep hoping for him he'll find some human mummie or whatever, just to cover a bit
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2012, 12:22:59 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately there's basically no way to change a DF world "just a little bit". World gen is a chaotic process, in the sense that a slight change early on can have huge repercussions later on - the "butterfly effect", as it's often known. Basically, your only options are to use the exact same seed; or try a different one, and hope that it results in a world that might share similar traits. So, you might be able to get another all-evil island world by using the same world gen parameters, but there's no way you'll be able to get another world that's like this one, but with slight terrain differences.

I have a response to this, but I'm spoilering it because it's longish and completely off-topic to this awesome tale (I haven't read the thread's two most recent pages, so if our hero has already died, then sorry I guess.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2012, 01:36:45 pm »

Truely, truely outrageous.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2012, 02:40:36 pm »

WOW! THIS IS EPIC!!
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2012, 05:30:43 pm »

Amazing story, gent! Keep up the awesome work! I'll be following eagerly :D

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2012, 05:45:35 pm »

Brilliant, and I love the art (both the comics and the "paintings")!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2012, 06:06:21 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately there's basically no way to change a DF world "just a little bit". World gen is a chaotic process, in the sense that a slight change early on can have huge repercussions later on - the "butterfly effect", as it's often known. Basically, your only options are to use the exact same seed; or try a different one, and hope that it results in a world that might share similar traits. So, you might be able to get another all-evil island world by using the same world gen parameters, but there's no way you'll be able to get another world that's like this one, but with slight terrain differences.

I have a response to this, but I'm spoilering it because it's longish and completely off-topic to this awesome tale (I haven't read the thread's two most recent pages, so if our hero has already died, then sorry I guess.)

Helpful. Thanks!

On-Topic Edit: Man, Hungry Heads ain't shit. I almost feel bad that a whole lair was wasted on one instead of something more interesting to fight. Though given the way Vanod straight murdered multiple semi-megabeasts seemingly without a scratch, uh, it might not matter much anyway.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:08:10 pm by Tastysaurus Rex »
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:28 pm »

Love this so much. The artwork just makes it even better.

Wait a moment....

I think I know this story.

A young blond human, the last of his kind, in a amazingly hostile world filled with strange and savage creatures, who travels around seeking ruins and places that might have been inhabited long ago?

Aaaadventure Time!
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2012, 06:15:21 pm »

So this tiny island has a large world gen quota of titans and monster population, right?

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2012, 06:31:06 pm »

Man, Hungry Heads ain't shit. I almost feel bad that a whole lair was wasted on one instead of something more interesting to fight. Though given the way Vanod straight murdered multiple semi-megabeasts seemingly without a scratch, uh, it might not matter much anyway.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't expecting one lesser creature chilling in a lair when 900 monsters need homes (this makes it sound all tragic). Just another way that Etha is a JERK >:T

A young blond human, the last of his kind, in a amazingly hostile world filled with strange and savage creatures, who travels around seeking ruins and places that might have been inhabited long ago?

Aaaadventure Time!
Hahah! Maybe this is Finn all grown up into a hardass. 8'(    The loss of Jake drove him to naked madness.

So this tiny island has a large world gen quota of titans and monster population, right?

Medium world gen. I'd love to try this all again with a MASSIVE world, but honestly I'm happy as-is. It may be a short adventure but it's been pretty fun so far. :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:33:30 pm by Earwig »
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2012, 06:42:17 pm »

Hahah! Maybe this is Finn all grown up into a hardass. 8'(    The loss of Jake drove him to naked madness.

This, everyone, is what happens if the Lich wins in world gen. Not even a vampire left.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:46:25 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2012, 06:52:28 pm »

Wait, so was this world manual (meaning, advance parameters and stuff) or did it happen randomly? If manual, then why make the world so big with only one small island?
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2012, 06:58:42 pm »

Wait, so was this world manual (meaning, advance parameters and stuff) or did it happen randomly?

Manual.

If manual, then why make the world so big with only one small island?

Complete fluke, unexepected but fun results of fiddling and watching different parameters. I thought it was pretty badass and unique, and it led me to taking special notice of the worldgen. I had made 10+ before this one, just fiddling about with all sorts of settings, and Ötstuxmon stood out to me as something that might be fun to run around in.
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39