Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1479 1480 [1481] 1482 1483 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5883799 times)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22200 on: April 26, 2012, 04:02:17 am »

It's the dreams man.
Even the strongest of dwarves might succumb to those silent images in the night.

:P
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22201 on: April 26, 2012, 05:57:27 am »

Wow.. last fort didn't even last a year.

The Fell Executioner embarked on a partial terrifying biome, and founded Cloudyhustled,. First month my woodcutter gets attacked by the corpse of a giant grasshopper. The pathfinder saves him, but the grasshopper resurrects and sufforcates the woodcutter. My pathfinder, Tahe Fadeplanes The Circle of Glistening, spends a while beating the crap out of both of them every time they resurrect, and then drag her off duty because she's not happy.

I manage to get a few things carved out. Visited by a group of peaceful peregrine falcon people. They leave. The grasshopper continues to resurrects itself, despite being rotten and doing no damage. Its just crawling around and getting killed. The dead Thothgol loses an arm, which resurrects and then its joined by a giant undead snail, called 'Wordsgored' which to killed just about everything left.

That was hilarious.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22202 on: April 26, 2012, 06:01:30 am »

My fort was getting boring yesterday. Neverending supplies of iron and steel, a few legendary soldiers and 5+ legendary marksdwarves, a very safe fort with spikes/artifact door + shooting gallery in the caverns and so on.

Then a huge siege hit, no worries I station my marksdwarves and ready my soldiers "around the corner" so to speak. I have a only a small amount of traps, and we are talking 50+ enemies here. So my marksdwarves better soften up the siege...

Imagine my surprise when the elite crossbow gob killed every single one of legendary stationed marksdwarves o_O

I sent everything I had straight into the siege to save the marksdwarves, but too late.

After a chaotic battle I'm left with one marksdwarf (it was probably over before he got there) and most of my melee. But my militia commander and legendary starting-hammerdwarf is dead. So is his first sparring partner.

Have to check later tonight, but I think both my macelords made it, and any other survivor should be a nice start for my new military :)

Better rethink my design a bit regarding marksdwarves though, perhaps a bridge I can close to reduce their field of fire when elite crossbow goblins are around.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22203 on: April 26, 2012, 06:29:51 am »

Sabreheals, stricken by the lack of food, has had inspiration.

Two dwarves were taken by a mood, and produced:

Sheget Ishem, the Horns of Passion: a hematite mechanism worth 60,000Dorfbux.

This is a hematite mechanism. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with oval hematite cabochons and enircled with bands of fungiwood. This object is adorned with hanging rings of tower cap and menaces with spikes of hematite. On the item is an image of pear cut gems in hematite.

Kalalatol, Meltfound, a purple spinel cage.

This is a purple spinel cage. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with cushion cut purple spinels.

Zagith Washedlobsters, the venomous salamander seems to be hanging out in New Sabreheals Lake. Not bothering anyone. Good, although no one in my military is below Competent, we can't afford to waste wood on fuel to make charcoal to make steel weapons.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22204 on: April 26, 2012, 06:35:21 am »

Sabreheals, stricken by the lack of food, has had inspiration.

Two dwarves were taken by a mood, and produced:

Sheget Ishem, the Horns of Passion: a hematite mechanism worth 60,000Dorfbux.

This is a hematite mechanism. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with oval hematite cabochons and enircled with bands of fungiwood. This object is adorned with hanging rings of tower cap and menaces with spikes of hematite. On the item is an image of pear cut gems in hematite.

Kalalatol, Meltfound, a purple spinel cage.

This is a purple spinel cage. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with cushion cut purple spinels.

Zagith Washedlobsters, the venomous salamander seems to be hanging out in New Sabreheals Lake. Not bothering anyone. Good, although no one in my military is below Competent, we can't afford to waste wood on fuel to make charcoal to make steel weapons.
Tame a GCS, have it web up a cage trap, wait for the salamander to walk into the trap, put it in the purple spinel cage, link it to a lever with the mechanisms and unleash it on a siege.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22205 on: April 26, 2012, 06:39:22 am »

Given that New Sabreheals is essentially an island, I can't really cover all areas with cage traps. Too much space.

Also, we're struggling to survive food wise that if i had a tame GCS i'd seriously consider slaughtering it.

Update on the infernal ash:

Another skeleton was discovered. That of the kobold thief Tlilithader. His entire body is coated with infernal ash, so presumably it just causes instant death. That's better than huskification, though not as FUN as i hoped.

A split second after I discovered Tlilithader, the dwarven caravan arrived and promptly bypassed us a second later before I could even give the order to unseal Old Sabreheal's gates.

EDIT: A ranger/hunter just shot a cave croc. The battle is going quite well; the croc charged after him and promptly fell unconscious. I think I'll send the FOURTEEN STRONG military in to aid the hunter, we need all the meat we can get.

EDITEDIT: Didn't even need to. A split second after I ordered the death of the cave croc, the hunter shot it in the head and is now dragging it back home.

EDITEDITEDIT: The caravan, along with a raft of dehydrated migrants have all been caught in infernal ash. No trading this season.

SERIOUSLYFINALEDIT:

Zagith Washedlobsters has made a move on New Sabreheals, attacking from the west entrance. The entire military are waiting for him, and a pitched battle is underway. If the military falls, so too does New Sabreheals.

NOREALLYFINALEDIT:

Zagith has killed roughly half the army, along with three civilians and a war dog. He is now: Zagith Washedlobsters the Cavernous Abyss.
Zagith is suffering critical injuries, though he soldiers on. He managed to slip past the unhappy soldiers and has made it to the bedrooms.

Darn.

After the rest of the army was routed, Moldath Rutodasmel, the hunter who twoshotted the cave croc, managed to kill Zagith; though not without serious injury.

The deaths are many, but the day is won. Our population is now 36, down from 54. Of those, 14 deaths are the military.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:51:57 am by Reudh »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22206 on: April 26, 2012, 06:51:20 am »

RabbitHut the Grass-Devourer
Cause of Death: A Brooding Menace

RabbitHut the Holy House
Cause of Death: Unknown, Communication Lost
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Great Rabbit-Hut
Cause of Death: GFGHOC

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut
Cause of Death: Zombie-geddon

The Rustic RabbitHut
Founded by The Watchful Grains

01) Embark

This one seems good enough.

Biome #1

Biome #2

My Civilization

We are forming a western point at the mountain pass

Embark Point Spread

The actual site

Pros :
: We are at a mountain pass next to our civ
: This site isn't completely dead, so we have purple GlumProng trees and hopefully Silver Barbs
: About 80% of the map edge is evil, as opposed to ~60% map edge in the old hut
: First undead are Moth Men (a sig-worthy item)

Cons :
: No shallow metals
: The brook seems to be affected by the stagnant river bug, gonna try a megaproject to fix it

I'm bringing more food, booze, and seeds this time.
This was afforded by cutting back Bronze to Tin, and cutting a little bit of stone
( Smelting your own bronze costs 11.5 points-per-bar, buying bronze costs you 25 points-per-bar !! )

I still bring a Steel anvil, even though we have access to Iron anvils.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22207 on: April 26, 2012, 06:59:16 am »

Zagith is being made into a delightful amount of food as we speak, as is Moldath's other kill, the cave crocodile. The starving migrants were allowed back in, bringing our population back up to 51. Of them, roughly six were deemed military material and were drafted. With them comes a suturer who is also a wound dresser. Best of all, this now-chief-medidwarf 'finds helping others rewarding', is 'very friendly' and 'enjoys the company of others'.

The liaison was also allowed in. He took one look at the slaughterhouse that is New Sabreheals, and (I imagine) said rather distastefully: 'Let's discuss your... situation.'

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22208 on: April 26, 2012, 07:34:50 am »

Jjust an average day in a fort with nothing of noteworthy significance; Work on my megaproject has slowed to a crawl due to a tantrum spiral with 30-odd dwarves are irrevocably insane or melancholy, a dwarf going berserk about ever three minutes, and I'm down to 90-odd dwarves from 230ish with nowhere near enough coffins for all the bodies.  But nothing interesting.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22209 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:49 am »

So, um
It works, its just a huge-fied version of the original waterwheel reactor, but the main engine needs to be started by the two small ones to work, and then all 3 need to be turned off to stop the damn thing. I had to make tons of improvisation to adequate the whole thing in the rather small chunk of rock it was built in to be at the underground pool's level.

It produces about 1700~ free power, more then what I need, but I want to expand it. but then I'll need extra small engines to start it :P. I might just might another one with the extra space and link the whole thing togheder.
You should totally put this design up on the wiki, call it the "Giant Water Reactor" or something like that. It would be nice to have a reactor that looks nice, is space efficient, and provides enough power for me to power larger projects without needing to build like 10 normal DWR's.

Thanks for the input. I don't have an account on the wiki, but I'll do this once I get home. I actualy want to experiment a bit more with a longer design first, but I'll add some detailed instructions to the waterwheel article once I sort out some things. It should become more power-efficient when it gets longer, but that would also require more small generators to start it, which is a minor nuisance. I'm also going to test if the middle water flow generated by the pumps can also power waterwheels 1 z level above.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22210 on: April 26, 2012, 10:15:31 am »

I just had my first successful goblin snatcher ever. Poor Dastot. I can't wait to see him again in a few years, all grown up and battle-ready.

Can captured kids who come back as invaders be caged? Will he need food?

Also, my fort now enters year 10. I have more steel, iron, silver, and copper than I could possibly use, a strong military, an indoor well, a menagerie of various livestock and exotics, a fine 9z drop tower, 8+ dead titans/megabeasts/FBs, many legendary dwarves, two caverns conquered, about to open up the third and take care of 2 more FB while also mining out the safe candy.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22211 on: April 26, 2012, 10:19:56 am »

Made a new fort, custom named it "Swordshields".  I have 4 peasants whom I chose to be warriors, gave them sword and shield skills.

I hope to have a fully functioning Roman legion after I get metal and set up infrastructure. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22212 on: April 26, 2012, 11:15:01 am »

After modding rabbits as a playable race and getting tigermen to survive worldgen (most of the time), I started playing around in the arena to see if I could judge the rabbits' chances in battle.

Turns out: not so good.

Rabbits have to use rabbit-sized weaponry. I don't know if you've ever seen a rabbit, but they're pretty small. You can hold them in the crook of your arm. To adequately use a weapon or tool, the item should be, at maximum, no bigger than the creature wielding it. In battle, then, they're effectively fighting off humanoids a dozen times their size with toothpicks while their enemies wield hammers with a contact area equal to the rabbit's entire body.

Iron-clad goblins vs Iron-clad rabbits, the goblins won one-on-one fights every time. The iron armor saved the rabbit from quite a few blows, but eventually they just get crushed or stabbed to death.

Iron-clad goblins vs steel-clad rabbits, the goblins still won one-on-one fights somewhere around two-thirds of the time.

I tried a huge battle (I know they're not scientific, since the sides get uneven really quickly and the survivors gang up on the losers, but I like the way it looks), 50 iron-clad goblins vs 50 steel-clad rabbits. Total massacre, though it did take a while. I had totally forgotten that I had put in the [TRANCES] tag for rabbits, so that was quite the sight. The rabbits were doomed, of course, but what a way to go.

This result was repeated over and over again vs different types of enemies. Tigermen warriors tore up the rabbits on the testing fields. Gorilla warriors proved that they were not to be trifled with. Even Kobolds, those wimpy little lizard-men, proved more than a match half the time, even for steel-clad rabbits.

Now I'm really puzzled. I've seen rabbits kick tail all over the world in legends. There are axerabbits that have taken down a bronze colossus, swordrabbits that have tackled hydras and survived, spearrabbits led armies to victory in campaigns vs goblins. But arena testing insists that the rabbit civilization should be all but wiped out by the end of worldgen. What the hell?

Impossible odds in every battle, and that's even if I manage to smelt steel. The first goblin ambush will likely decimate any forces I choose to raise. Kobolds will be a serious threat. There's nothing for it; time to start a rabbit fortress.
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #22213 on: April 26, 2012, 11:27:24 am »

Watership Down, ho!

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22214 on: April 26, 2012, 11:33:44 am »

Zagith is being made into a delightful amount of food as we speak, as is Moldath's other kill, the cave crocodile. The starving migrants were allowed back in, bringing our population back up to 51. Of them, roughly six were deemed military material and were drafted. With them comes a suturer who is also a wound dresser. Best of all, this now-chief-medidwarf 'finds helping others rewarding', is 'very friendly' and 'enjoys the company of others'.

The liaison was also allowed in. He took one look at the slaughterhouse that is New Sabreheals, and (I imagine) said rather distastefully: 'Let's discuss your... situation.'

One thing I don't understand, why didn't you let them in to help you solve the food crisis in the first place? Not enough seeds/food plots or something else that I completely missed? Enjoy Zagith ;)
Pages: 1 ... 1479 1480 [1481] 1482 1483 ... 3836