Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47

Author Topic: Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)  (Read 46485 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 13 (Updated 10/18)
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2015, 03:06:41 am »

1700 GREENHEART TIME, MAY 21st, 301 P.L
ERROR: FAILED TO CONNECT TO INTERNET TIME SERVER.

Mark Johns'son (Pencil_Art):

((No reply))
You step over a puddle.

Tadaa! It's no longer raining. Since the air is much more clear, you can see more things: a slowly rolling landscape, with streaks of green-tinted slime everywhere and the occasional giant depression in the ground. These depressions seem to be filled with teeth, like some sort of maw.

In the distance, you spot a large crate sticking out of the ground. Around it are scattered parts and tools, including:
-A seismic radar for mapping the underground and determining rock type
-A mineral analyzer that grinds a piece of rock and tells you its composition.
-A Jackhammer than seems to be capable of shattering rock.
-Three extra spades.

The rest of the pieces are just spare parts, electronics, or shattered bits of technology. The crate itself is a simple metal box, although its bottom side is missing. You find it stuck in the sand three meters away.

Arthur Staunch (Megggas):

[2] The mobs don't come. There must be some sort of XP gating system, and you must have gained a LOT of it by fighting an armed enemy without any gear.

There is a river, though, and you see purple streaks shimmering in the water. Disturbing the waters causes the fish to agitate and rush away. They seem to be hanging on to the rocks.

An NPC seems to be fishing along the side of the river. He doesn't seem armed, so he's probably not a mob.

Spoiler: Status,Traits,Invntory (click to show/hide)

Cueball (Paphi):

The colonist nods, but he points to his chest and then shakes his head.

He can't seem to talk... probably due to the iron lung. The machine breaths for him.

Nyar Donovon (WunderKatze):

[6] You find a pole sticking up out of the ground, just a few meters away. It's actually a shovel. You dig up the gun and replace it with the shovel, using the helmet as a bludgeon to hammer the space fully into the sand.

When you get back to base (heading toward the firing range just so you blend in the most), you overhear a commotion.
"Hans oblitichen!"
"He's a goner..."
"Nan Inglish a ka."
"Sasich!"

Quote from: Radio
'Ey guys, I managed to talk to some of the 'officers'. Judging from their language it's a mix of ancient German and Latin. Kinda wierd, isn't it, that they're speaking Earth languages? Can't be natural. They're probably colonists just like us. Maybe they snuck away in a shuttle a few weeks before the fall.

They act like they're continuing some great war from the old days. I think the oxygen's getting to them.

Nole (Slayer1557):

It doesn't look like you can lift the floor out of the way, but it can't hurt to try. [6] You hear structural integrity siren bleeping as you pull. Not a good idea to continue.

With shovel in hand, you start to dig around the pod to try and reveal what's under. [1] Unfortunately, mud just piles in as you go along, making any attempt at digging a steep hole pointless. It'll fill back in. You'll have to brace it or something.

On the bright side, you did reveal some text on a panel underneath the shuttle: FUEL CELLS ->

((DigitalDemon has stated he no longer wishes to continue. That means the game is now open! Is Twinwolf reading this?))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2015, 03:55:54 pm »

Nole scratches his head and sighs.  "We can fly across the stars and land safely on another planet, and yet mud is still a nuisance."  He looks at the marker for the fuel cells for a moment, but goes back to his previous task.

Nole grabs any flat pieces of debris, like panels, that came off in the crash.  He presses them against the sides of the hole he's digging to hold back the mud as best as it can.  If he can't find debris that would work, he uses a parachute and jams it in around the edges to try to get some stability.  He then continues to dig towards where he heard the tapping.

As he does this, he considers his options for breathing in this atmosphere.  From the suit readout before, the air would be breathable if not for the particulates in the air that could cause lung damage, apparently.  He wasn't quite sure what these particulates were, but he figured maybe he could get away without the suit's breathing apparatus if he made a mask of some kind to breath through.  But he would need some layers of cloth at the very least to filter out these particulates.

-Would the parachute work?  I doubt it, cause I don't think it would let any or enough air through it to use as a mask.
-The G-suit still in the cockpit of the ship?  I doubt we are going to be going fast enough to need a G-suit any time soon, so it should be fine to cut up for this purpose.
-Spare jumpsuit from one of the pods?  I literally lost track of how many pods we have, so I thought I'd ask.
-The bandages?  Doubled or tripled up, maybe that would be enough to filter out the particulates, especially if it's damp with water.
-Other cloth that I'm forgetting about?  Cushions from the pilot seat or something?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:59:51 pm by Slayer1557 »

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2015, 07:03:54 pm »

Attempt to talk to the NPC.  If he provides some kind of quest, accept it.  If I can trade or buy goods from the NPC, try to obtain more equipment.  If the NPC provides no services and just spouts out the same line again and again, then shoot him.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2015, 07:42:50 pm »

Attempt to talk to the NPC.  If he provides some kind of quest, accept it.  If I can trade or buy goods from the NPC, try to obtain more equipment.  If the NPC provides no services and just spouts out the same line again and again, then shoot him.
((Reminds me so much of an old shoot-em-up game, Overkill, which had the instructions.  "If it moves, shoot it.  If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway."))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 21, 2015, 02:13:17 am »

((Reminds me so much of an old shoot-em-up game, Overkill, which had the instructions.  "If it moves, shoot it.  If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway."))

((Which makes me wonder why you're not always automatically shooting in these sorts of games. It makes my finger hurt having to hold Z all the time

Also shameless bump))
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:27:27 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 21, 2015, 04:26:24 pm »

((I haven't forgotten about this, I've been busy lately.))

Cueball backs up a ways, knowing the colonist was merely healing, but deeply, slightly paranoid that he'd just fed an awful beast which was about to burst from his chest.

"He'll be fine as long as the lung keeps him breathing. I'll return in a while to check on him. Could you bring me to an official who could grant me access to the armory? I need those batteries," he says to the doctor.

Have her lead me to an officer of some sort.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2015, 11:07:51 pm »

Ugh... Who would have though I could get bored on a death world while holding a gun...

So... What's the plan?
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 13.5 (Updated 10/23)
« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2015, 03:53:24 am »

This is a miniroll, just to advance some things. Pencil_Art is in danger of being booted for inactivity. Twinwolf will enter as soon as possible (faster if you set out from the military camp right away).

Cueball backs up a ways, knowing the colonist was merely healing, but deeply, slightly paranoid that he'd just fed an awful beast which was about to burst from his chest.

"He'll be fine as long as the lung keeps him breathing. I'll return in a while to check on him. Could you bring me to an official who could grant me access to the armory? I need those batteries," he says to the doctor.

Have her lead me to an officer of some sort.

The woman leads you outside (she dons a raincoat) into the tented area. There is one tent, slightly larger than the other four, which has two armed guards stationed afront.
A soldier wearing a balaclava and goggles over his face is standing next to one of the smaller tents. He sees you and then points to the big tent.

Inside it is rather cozy. Illuminated by a dim incandescent bulb (the whole tent is powered by a cable stretching from a generator near the armory), it houses several maps on canvas hanging from the walls. The maps depict a hemisphere of the planet, although only one hemisphere. Lining the edges is a dark region labelled "The Chasm."

The maps show a number of countries in a political view, some large and taking up substantial space, while others are tinted in a shade of a large country's color, as if inside a sphere of influence. Their borders are strangely tangled and in some cases overlap with each other. You get the sense that the maps are trying to convey a sense of depth.

At a table with a big, heavy radio and a telephone sits an officer wearing a beret and a cloak. Next to him is a soldier speaking with him, a skinny man drenched in rain and splattered in mud. They seem to be speaking in that language that everyone else speaks, except for the doctor who is good enough at English to speak it casually.
The doctor whispers to you after the conversation is over and the soldier turns to leave.
"Someone's been missing for a while. They're going to send out more scouts."
The officer hears.
"Ah, he speaks Inglish? It is very good we were stationed here, yes?"
"Yep."
"Say..." he turns to face you. "What other languages do you have in that big lightbulb of yours?" he points to his temple repeatedly.
"Ein holtz? Kriven? Hav ay yuten? What do you need?"

Ugh... Who would have though I could get bored on a death world while holding a gun...
I reckon we find a ride ASAP. One of you's just walked into the officer tent. Who is it? You should ask them. It would be too suspicious if I did it myself.

The NPC seems to speak the same language that the other NPC did. Either way, you can't understand him, and the quest UI does not pop up.

He snags a fish with his pole, and he immediately wraps his arm around it and starts holding tight. It seems he caught something big.

Nole scratches his head and sighs.  "We can fly across the stars and land safely on another planet, and yet mud is still a nuisance."  He looks at the marker for the fuel cells for a moment, but goes back to his previous task.

Nole grabs any flat pieces of debris, like panels, that came off in the crash.  He presses them against the sides of the hole he's digging to hold back the mud as best as it can.  If he can't find debris that would work, he uses a parachute and jams it in around the edges to try to get some stability.  He then continues to dig towards where he heard the tapping.

[3] You can--just barely--tear off some of the charred and burnt heatshielding that's still stuck to the side of the shuttle. Though brittle, it is hard enough that you can use it as a stopgap measure. You get about a square meter.

Digging ever deeper, your spade finally contacts something. Brushing the mud aside with your hands, you see the smooth surface of glass beneath. You can't see inside because your hole is filling up with water and the water is muddy, but it's definitely smooth like glass.

You hear the tapping again. It's irregular and coming from the thing you've just uncovered.

-Would the parachute work?  I doubt it, cause I don't think it would let any or enough air through it to use as a mask.
-The G-suit still in the cockpit of the ship?  I doubt we are going to be going fast enough to need a G-suit any time soon, so it should be fine to cut up for this purpose.
-Spare jumpsuit from one of the pods?  I literally lost track of how many pods we have, so I thought I'd ask.
-The bandages?  Doubled or tripled up, maybe that would be enough to filter out the particulates, especially if it's damp with water.
-Other cloth that I'm forgetting about?  Cushions from the pilot seat or something?
-The parachutes are made out of an airtight membrane. Having a parachute through which air leaks through would kind of defeat the purpose.
-It's made of a rubbery material. The suit also acts as a pressure suit in case the cockpit depressurizes.
-The jumpsuit seems suitable. It's made of some sort of microfiber that's aquaphobic but when you stretch it you can see the weave. There is one per pod, and five are in use. But one is unoccupied and the other had that mummified body in it, so there's two spares.
-The bandages could work, although the fiber is much more coarse. It might not be sufficient to filter out microscopic particles. Even the jumpsuit might not be enough.
-The cushions are all synthetic leather. Cloth isn't something you see much of in military hardware these days.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:01:54 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2015, 10:55:53 pm »

While he's distracted with the fish, walk up behind the NPC, shoot him in the back, and push him into the river.  Check if I earned the "Sleeping With The Fishes" Achievement.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 24, 2015, 03:11:10 pm »

Cueball looks all around him, subtly snapping photos of the maps and any plans that happen to be laying about, before addressing the officer as formally as he could manage.

"English is my only language, brother. It has come to my attention that you have a set of power cells salvaged from a lifepod which housed a brother. I must retrieve him, and in order to do so must transport him in the lifepod. I would like to have them returned in good faith, and if at all possible, a vehicle capable of towing the device."

With any luck, he could get what he needed purely by buttering the guy up. Cueball rarely had luck.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2015, 08:42:09 pm »

Make sandcastle in the dirt. I guess this would be called a dirtcastle...
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2015, 02:50:59 am »

1705 GREENHEART TIME, MAY 21st, 301 P.L
ERROR: FAILED TO CONNECT TO INTERNET TIME SERVER.

Arthur Staunch (Megggas):

[6] You walk up behind him as he struggles with the fish, then shoot him and cast his body into the water. No achievement occurs, although you do see a message pop

The fish he caught, though, seems to appreciate the corpsek, for you see it approach the body in the water. It's a large fish, about a meter long and a handspan in width, although it is rather flat. It clings to his corpse like a parasite and won't let go, although it doesn't seem to be chewing bits off or anything.

Spoiler: Status,Traits,Invntory (click to show/hide)

Cueball (Paphi):

[3] "I see, you wish to return him to your people..."
The officer stands up.
"But... as it stands, we are in a state of war. Your people have technology we couldn't ever hope to match ourselves in this day and age."
He points at one of the maps.
"We are at the Reich's doorstep. Their heartland is to the west, and we could be attacked at any moment, either by airstrike or by ambush. And now we find a man preserved in a tube, breathing a water that lets you breath!

You have some sort of extraordinary medical technology. I have men who need treatment, men from the frontlines, whose families are at stake. Many men, in fact, and several dozen have been lost under my command. Do you think I will let you take away our chance to save countless lives through replicating your systems?

I can let you take the survivor, he is of no use to us. But we will be keeping the lifepod until we learn everything there is to be learned about it."

Nyar Donovon (WunderKatze):

[6] You map out a whole community in the sand, creating towers, turrets, keeps and causeways. It has a sort of steampunk edge to it, with smokestacks and warehouses on the inner side of the walls.
Pleased with your work, you begin populating it with little people made of sand. Soon you realize that little people need clothes, and so you head off to look for some loose tent material. You'll use the edge of the spade as a cutting edge and make little cloaks for them.

Returning with the tent, you notice that the castle has changed to to the weather. There's a little ditch around the walls now, and there is... a new building in the middle of the fort, located in a previously empty space. It looks to be under construction, with no ceiling and the walls only partially finished.

Nole (Slayer1557):

[3] You can--just barely--tear off some of the charred and burnt heatshielding that's still stuck to the side of the shuttle. Though brittle, it is hard enough that you can use it as a stopgap measure. You get about a square meter.

Digging ever deeper, your spade finally contacts something. Brushing the mud aside with your hands, you see the smooth surface of glass beneath. You can't see inside because your hole is filling up with water and the water is muddy, but it's definitely smooth like glass.

You hear the tapping again. It's irregular and coming from the thing you've just uncovered.

-The parachutes are made out of an airtight membrane. Having a parachute through which air leaks through would kind of defeat the purpose.
-It's made of a rubbery material. The suit also acts as a pressure suit in case the cockpit depressurizes.
-The jumpsuit seems suitable. It's made of some sort of microfiber that's aquaphobic but when you stretch it you can see the weave. There is one per pod, and five are in use. But one is unoccupied and the other had that mummified body in it, so there's two spares.
-The bandages could work, although the fiber is much more coarse. It might not be sufficient to filter out microscopic particles. Even the jumpsuit might not be enough.
-The cushions are all synthetic leather. Cloth isn't something you see much of in military hardware these days.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 14 (Updated 10/27)
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2015, 06:44:43 pm »

((Doh, I was just about to post too.  I couldn't make up my mind what to do.))

Nole runs his hands over the smooth surface in confusion.  'Glass?  How did it survive the impact?  Was it here when we landed or did it fall with us?  Stupid goddamn rain!'  He looks up at the pouring sky in annoyance, thankful, at least he was in a suit.

He pulls out one of the parachutes and tries to use it to create a bit of cover to work under.  ((I'm not sure how big the parachutes are, since they were for the pilots chair))  He cuts the tube free from all strings except one or two.  He throws the tube over the ship, goes to the other side and tries to anchor it to something, a pod, the ship itself, anywhere the tube could get wedged or the strings tied off.

Back on the side with the parachute and the dig, he stretches the parachute over his work area, letting the water run away from the ship.  He likewise anchors the parachute side with anything heavy he could get his hands on, perhaps the pilot seat.

Then he examines his work.  Will it keep the rain off his dig, and maybe make some progress against the mud?

((So in summary, throw one end of the parachute over the ship and anchor it over there.  That side doesn't need as much parachute as it needs the strings to anchor it.  Most of the parachute should be on the side where Nole has been digging.  The parachute itself should cover from the top of the shuttle, and down to the ground, away from the ship, like an awning, or the side of a tent.  Lemme know if there's any problems with the assumptions I've made and I'll adjust the plan.))
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:47:00 pm by Slayer1557 »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2015, 01:04:30 am »

((So in summary, throw one end of the parachute over the ship and anchor it over there.  That side doesn't need as much parachute as it needs the strings to anchor it.  Most of the parachute should be on the side where Nole has been digging.  The parachute itself should cover from the top of the shuttle, and down to the ground, away from the ship, like an awning, or the side of a tent.  Lemme know if there's any problems with the assumptions I've made and I'll adjust the plan.))

Burying the parachute tube should provide a pole to tie off some strings to. Since the hull is cracked in many places you can tie strings around those as well. The awning idea works, and you have plenty of time so I'll make this a guaranteed action.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 28, 2015, 07:57:30 am »

Shoot the sticky corpse fish until it is dead.  If it drops rare loot or the components to create some kind of "sticky" tool, then shoot all sticky fish I see and grab their loot before it despawns.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47