Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926474 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2055 on: April 03, 2013, 08:29:54 pm »

An ASCII game running on an engine familiar to the one used by Dorf Fort, but taking place in a huge, sprawling metropolis (complete with fully-furnished apartments, working transit systems, electricity and other networks and appropriately large population doing all their typical business in real-time)
No particular goal - but lots of things to do. Become a businessman, a gangster, a bus driver, or just a common worker with a family and children. You know how it goes.

Yes. Someone will figure out how to become "city destroying terrorist," after which everyone will play as one :D
While I will quietly mod it to play as a horrific mutant urban predator.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 03, 2013, 08:34:28 pm »

An ASCII game running on an engine familiar to the one used by Dorf Fort, but taking place in a huge, sprawling metropolis (complete with fully-furnished apartments, working transit systems, electricity and other networks and appropriately large population doing all their typical business in real-time)
No particular goal - but lots of things to do. Become a businessman, a gangster, a bus driver, or just a common worker with a family and children. You know how it goes.

Yes. Someone will figure out how to become "city destroying terrorist," after which everyone will play as one :D
I'd be a serial killer. Obviously.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 03, 2013, 08:50:58 pm »

Not that neither of those are mutually exclusive with "city destroying terrorist."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 03, 2013, 10:20:45 pm »

There was a thing a while back where a group of people were supposedly making a serial killer rougelike. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: April 03, 2013, 11:20:39 pm »

Would you play as a serial killer every time you played?
I think that's kinda the point...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 03, 2013, 11:28:34 pm »

I feel like this might have been posted before, but I've kinda dreamed of a true 'grand strategy' game. No, not like EU3 or whatever.

Let's call this "Aspirations of Greatness".

There are 3 (up to 5) distinct 'levels' or 'styles' of play.

1. Traditional grand strategy: You rule a realm. You no longer have time to handle the petty squables of your lords nor to command most of your armies - instead you delegate, politicize, plot, and negotiate. You also handle the allotment of resources and funds from your grand treasury to others. You may provide general advice or directives to your lords. This level plays probably somewhat like EU3 or maybe CK2, but in real time.

Optional sub-level: Advisor: Perhaps through personal preference or through being absorbed into another's kingdom, you serve the ruler in some fashion. Maybe you handle all the negotiations. Maybe you just come up with advice while secretly plotting in the background.

2. Mid-level strategy: You rule a province or an army. Possibly both. You are the lord who squabbles with other lords, and you also have to make sure your requests to the ruler and your requests of your generals get paid attention to. You mainly concern yourself with provincial level politics but you you also have to worry about the crops and the economy in your region. Depending on how much control you have over the local politics (I guess 'how big your province/army is') this might play again like a subsection of EU3 or CK2, or more like an RTS game.

Optional sub-level: Mayoral or city level or an army: Direct delegation of economy and crops in your area. OR commanding a bunch of local troops. Politicking with other mayors for the advice of your lord, or subterfuge against them somehow. RTS level play.

3. Low-level strategy: You lead a small section of troops or people. Maybe you farm. Maybe you run a shop. Maybe you are in command of a small section of army units. Nonetheless, you take orders and you complete objectives in real time. Of course, you could rebel, but... Plays very much like any top-down or squad based combat game.

In terms of play: 1 commands all 2s in their realm, 2s command all 3s in their realm. 3s appear as 'hero units' in 2's vision, and 2s appear as 'governors' or 'generals' and their groups of 3s as armies to 1s.

So in essence: 3 (or 4) tiers of gameplay, changing from squad-combat to RTS to EU3 - all in real time - as you start delegating over more and more regions. Of course, the difficulty is synchronization (probably heroes and generals style, but with the added 'grand strategy' tier) and making everything fit together in a coherent way. Especially when you throw in the fact that combat is being waged between multiple rulers of realms simultaneously, each of whom have governors who may change hands at any time.

I mention things like farming, shopping, etc, because presumably there must be an economic aspect as well, and I assume there are gonna be some people who want to be farmers. But I guess the primary draw of the game would be the strategy and combat aspects.

A single player mode might work well starting you at Tier 3 and allowing you to prove yourself and amass enough followers to eventually grow to Tier 1. Of course, you could also lose everything at Tier 1 too, so it's not all about growth - one lucky assassin or coup is all it takes...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:30:33 pm by Logical2u »
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 03, 2013, 11:39:22 pm »

There was a thing a while back where a group of people were supposedly making a serial killer rougelike.

I'm pretty sure that turned out to be an elaborate hoax, and the guy doing said hoaxing became one of the most hated people on the internet for a day or so.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: April 03, 2013, 11:53:25 pm »

Would you play as a serial killer every time you played?
I think that's kinda the point...
You'd have to do things like cover up evidence, be careful not to leave DNA, stalk targets, that kind of thing.  I think it was part of some prank/college project thou. 
Fake edit- Yeah, it was definitly a hoax.

Actual edit, -
Due to some posting in a diferent thread, I now want a game where you have to do a good bit more to protect against alliums.  It would ideally be like old Xcom in combat, with large numbers of people in turn based combat, but there would be much more customizing, and it'd be on a larger scale.  You would be able to build a satellite defense system and ground based orbital defenses, or you could build a mobile fleet of interceptors.  You would be able to scour crash sites and board enemy vessels.  Ideally, you could choose the scale of the operation.  You could do easy mode, where you are an international agency with full funding and the ability to respond to any attack with extreme prejudice, or you could be a off the charts group with barely any funding or support, largely relying on precision strikes and guerilla tactics. 
The best possible outcome for this game would be Kerbal Space Program combined with UFO Defense. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:01:22 am by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 03, 2013, 11:58:15 pm »

I feel like this might have been posted before, but I've kinda dreamed of a true 'grand strategy' game. No, not like EU3 or whatever.

1. Traditional grand strategy: You rule a realm. You no longer have time to handle the petty squables of your lords nor to command most of your armies - instead you delegate, politicize, plot, and negotiate. You also handle the allotment of resources and funds from your grand treasury to others. You may provide general advice or directives to your lords. This level plays probably somewhat like EU3 or maybe CK2, but in real time.

Optional sub-level: Advisor: Perhaps through personal preference or through being absorbed into another's kingdom, you serve the ruler in some fashion. Maybe you handle all the negotiations. Maybe you just come up with advice while secretly plotting in the background.

2. Mid-level strategy: You rule a province or an army. Possibly both. You are the lord who squabbles with other lords, and you also have to make sure your requests to the ruler and your requests of your generals get paid attention to. You mainly concern yourself with provincial level politics but you you also have to worry about the crops and the economy in your region. Depending on how much control you have over the local politics (I guess 'how big your province/army is') this might play again like a subsection of EU3 or CK2, or more like an RTS game.

Optional sub-level: Mayoral or city level or an army: Direct delegation of economy and crops in your area. OR commanding a bunch of local troops. Politicking with other mayors for the advice of your lord, or subterfuge against them somehow. RTS level play.

3. Low-level strategy: You lead a small section of troops or people. Maybe you farm. Maybe you run a shop. Maybe you are in command of a small section of army units. Nonetheless, you take orders and you complete objectives in real time. Of course, you could rebel, but... Plays very much like any top-down or squad based combat game.

In terms of play: 1 commands all 2s in their realm, 2s command all 3s in their realm. 3s appear as 'hero units' in 2's vision, and 2s appear as 'governors' or 'generals' and their groups of 3s as armies to 1s.

So in essence: 3 (or 4) tiers of gameplay, changing from squad-combat to RTS to EU3 - all in real time - as you start delegating over more and more regions. Of course, the difficulty is synchronization (probably heroes and generals style, but with the added 'grand strategy' tier) and making everything fit together in a coherent way. Especially when you throw in the fact that combat is being waged between multiple rulers of realms simultaneously, each of whom have governors who may change hands at any time.

I mention things like farming, shopping, etc, because presumably there must be an economic aspect as well, and I assume there are gonna be some people who want to be farmers. But I guess the primary draw of the game would be the strategy and combat aspects.

A single player mode might work well starting you at Tier 3 and allowing you to prove yourself and amass enough followers to eventually grow to Tier 1. Of course, you could also lose everything at Tier 1 too, so it's not all about growth - one lucky assassin or coup is all it takes...

Romance of the Three Kingdoms seven (I think its seven) is pretty much this, albiet with a bit less complexity than you probably want.  You can even be a wandering ronin, join or leave any nation, become king, prefect of a province, a warlord, or just a unit level commander.  (And with a button code it becomes hotseat multiplayer to boot.)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: April 04, 2013, 12:00:21 am »

Not talking about the hoax, talking about the city roguelike.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: April 04, 2013, 04:26:21 am »

City roguelike for sure, fully simulated with NPC daily routines and the like, all that jazz. If I had the skills and the time I would be all over that shit starting tonight.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: April 04, 2013, 12:56:19 pm »

A sandbox-ish MMORPG that played like a RTS. Players can found towns and with certain permissions plop buildings at 0% completion (paid in advance) and any player can right click it to build like a peasant, and get paid. Or deliver materials to a town center.

Also being able to control several chars at once, not followers but full PCs. Kinda like that prequel to Evil Islands. (EDIT: Ah, Rage of Mages)

Like Majesty if heroes were actual players.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:02:12 pm by Sergius »

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: April 04, 2013, 01:06:03 pm »

(things)

Flavour-of-setting aside, what you described sounds a lot like the nullsec meta-game in EVE...  but the framework does sound more interesting in a historical-medieval/fantasy setting.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: April 04, 2013, 03:04:57 pm »

Let's call this "Aspirations of Greatness". [snip]

Sounds a bit like Might and Fealty, a game in beta with considerable potential. Though that doesn't go down to playing a peasant.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: April 06, 2013, 04:56:05 am »

Romance of the Three Kingdoms seven (I think its seven) is pretty much this, albiet with a bit less complexity than you probably want.  You can even be a wandering ronin, join or leave any nation, become king, prefect of a province, a warlord, or just a unit level commander.  (And with a button code it becomes hotseat multiplayer to boot.)

Eight. RTK 8. :D

RTK 10 was good as well, and had an overworld element very similar to that of Mount and Blade.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 577