Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926668 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3975 on: May 26, 2014, 12:11:25 pm »

I wish for an RPG based entirely on music. The combat would be primarily based on the party fighting with the power of music, and the battle music would change depending on what instruments everyone was wielding.
This needs to be a thing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3976 on: May 26, 2014, 12:51:47 pm »

I wish for an RPG based entirely on music. The combat would be primarily based on the party fighting with the power of music, and the battle music would change depending on what instruments everyone was wielding.
RPG Rhythm Game. These are a thing, I've seen more than just this one around before.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: May 26, 2014, 01:16:01 pm »

I'd prefer a less "DDR" based interface. More traditional RPG combat, but with a procedural music system so many battles would sound like some kind of "Battle of bands." Also, a very grungy protagonist.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3978 on: May 26, 2014, 01:17:58 pm »

Brutal Legend?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: May 26, 2014, 01:52:47 pm »

That's more RTS, though, and the music is from a set soundtrack.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: May 26, 2014, 05:33:31 pm »

Okay, here's a thought:

In many RPGs the cleric or healer class is restricted to blunt weapons. Some say this is because of an oath to do no harm, or even the Hypocrates oath. But blunt weapons can still cause significant injury.
And so I thought: Then why let them have weapons at all?
So I had an idea: a roguelike where you play a healer, but you can't attack or cause direct or indirect harm to others. Higher difficulty levels would require you to heal any injured monster you come across, or even to ensure that as few creatures die as possible.

...Then again, it could also be a self-imposed challenge for nethack or something. XD

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has that if you worship Evylion (I think earlier versions you could start as a healer (or maybe you still can?)). You can pacify monsters by healing them which turns them neutral and gives you some XP, as well as being able to heal yourself. I've seen a run where someone got through the entire game without directly killing anything themselves (with liberal use of objects, stealth and healing).

Still, only fun for a run through, I can't imagine it being fun as an entire game.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: May 26, 2014, 06:27:52 pm »

DE:HR could support non-violence runs.  There was always the exception of, well, the game mechanic everyone hated.  And playing that way would be very memory based.  But otherwise it could be fun.

I think a game designed around it might work.  I know I played Monaco non-violently until the levels got really hard.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: May 26, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »

DE:HR could support non-violence runs.  There was always the exception of, well, the game mechanic everyone hated.  And playing that way would be very memory based.  But otherwise it could be fun.

I think a game designed around it might work.  I know I played Monaco non-violently until the levels got really hard.
Deus Ex can be done without killing or attacking anyone or thing, and HR boss fights can probably be glitched through but if not then you have to fight those and those only. If you'd like a challenge you could do the bosses without using any inventory items or augmentations.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: May 26, 2014, 10:39:23 pm »

Deus Ex can be done without killing or attacking anyone or thing, and HR boss fights can probably be glitched through but if not then you have to fight those and those only. If you'd like a challenge you could do the bosses without using any inventory items or augmentations.

I don't think you can do the last two without augmentations or weapons.  You
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3984 on: May 26, 2014, 11:40:52 pm »

I'm on the final boss in DR:HR, a perfect pacifist run with no alerts. And I can't beat it because I have no combat augments and all my stealth and hacking upgrades don't do crap.

It's been sitting that way for more than half a year now, waiting to be completed.. T.T

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: May 27, 2014, 01:12:11 am »

I'm on the final boss in DR:HR, a perfect pacifist run with no alerts. And I can't beat it because I have no combat augments and all my stealth and hacking upgrades don't do crap.

It's been sitting that way for more than half a year now, waiting to be completed.. T.T

If you have maxed out hacking you can skip a good section of the boss.  Also all bosses can TECHNICALLY be beat using only gear in or immediately before the boss room.  So there should be some specialized grenades or something lying around.  (not arguing in favor of the boss battles, I hate them as much as the next guy)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3986 on: May 27, 2014, 01:14:56 am »

Is the lady boss who has a submachine gun and keeps running around the final boss? That's who I remember being stuck on.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: May 27, 2014, 01:47:02 am »

Oh... no, that's the second boss.

She's a pain unless you have one of two augments you would have no reason to have.

Why exactly the thin layer of metal under her skin lets her take over a hundred machine gun bullets at close range when she isn't wearing a helmet, I have no idea.  You can get that augment and it certainly doesn't do that for you :/

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: May 27, 2014, 04:48:40 am »

I don't think you can do the last two without augmentations or weapons.  You
Thrown crates cause damage. It is possible to bring crates into every boss, though for some you have to glitch them through the door.
Someone did an entire playthrough without using items, takedowns, or augments. It's really more of a showcase of glitches, and it's definitely impressively ingenious.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: May 27, 2014, 08:11:57 am »

Thrown crates cause damage. It is possible to bring crates into every boss, though for some you have to glitch them through the door.
Someone did an entire playthrough without using items, takedowns, or augments. It's really more of a showcase of glitches, and it's definitely impressively ingenious.
Here's a link. I love things like this.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 577