Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 655635 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1170 on: June 05, 2012, 03:32:38 pm »

Note that some projects (such as iPhone apps) by definition (the definition is that Apple sucks balls) CAN'T include the finished product with the kickstart.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 05, 2012, 05:54:17 pm »

I don't see the fuss here.  The Kickstarter guys are the only people who can (and should) decide what is eligible to run a Kickstarter.  It's their website/business and as far as I can see nobody else really has a stake in that.  Ignore projects you dislike, chip in for those you like.  Or don't.  It's up to you.

People seem to be getting way too emotionally invested in things wot don't affect them.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: June 05, 2012, 06:03:09 pm »

They're opinions LC. I know you're the guy that likes to have the 1-2 sentence solution to everything, but you're free to ignore this conversation if it bothers you. Unless you're too "emotionally invested" in telling people you think they're wrong.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: June 05, 2012, 06:21:09 pm »

I said this waaaaaaaaaaaay back near the start of the thread, but I don't think Kickstarter can "go wrong." If it's worth funding, people will fund it. If not, they won't. I think that's what lordcooper was saying.

(Well I suppose it could "go wrong" if the person who started the kickstarter is a scam artist. But that's pretty much it.)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: June 05, 2012, 06:25:39 pm »

It's why I left a question mark on there. It's an open question and will probably remain one. Although I'm less likely to lean on the side of "Caveat Emptor, gg."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: June 05, 2012, 08:08:19 pm »

If you want the Kickstarter enterprise to succeed as a whole, then the attitude should never start defaulting to "Cavet Empetor". Because if that happens, then there's going to be a reduction of donations to Kickstarters overall once people get wise, which will harm everyone overall, including the "legitimate" users out there.

But the thing is...Kickstarter is not crowdsourcing, investment, or even a charity. It's a business, and the business is the solicitation of donations. Once a project is successfully funded, Amazon Payments and Kickstarter gets their share of the "donations"* and then cut off all their connections to the project to avoid any liabilities. So if a scam does occur, Amazon and Kickstarter will then point to their TOS so that they aren't seen as accessories to the crime. The 'honor system' is ill-suited to handling real money; the temptation to cheat is just too great and there is no penalty to doing so, since Amazon Payments and Kickstarter has no incentive to crack down on cheaters.

Reform is needed, before donors lose confidence in the entire system. Implementing these reforms without turning Kickstarter into an informal Vulture Capitalist firm...that's going to be a challenge though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:10:50 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 05, 2012, 08:17:33 pm »

Or... let the market handle it.

"Moar law" isn't always the solution, and often it's the source of many more problems.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 05, 2012, 08:18:51 pm »

"Moar law" isn't always the solution, and often it's the source of many more problems.

Yeah you apply law when people simply cannot do otherwise (or rather when the market fails).

For example when people solicited donations in airports. The market didn't decide them to leave so the law stepped in.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 05, 2012, 08:27:48 pm »

Yeah you apply law when people simply cannot do otherwise (or rather when the market fails).

For example when people solicited donations in airports. The market didn't decide them to leave so the law stepped in.

Yes, it bodes well for Kickstarter when the law decides to ban donations to projects. Mark my words, "protecting the children" will be somewhere in that law.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 05, 2012, 09:18:01 pm »

I wasn't saying for the law to "step" in, I'm saying for the industry to self-regulate or risk losing their "customers" (the people donating money). Though I wouldn't oppose people suing Kickstarter/Amazon for monetary damages; scams are illegal after all, and Kickstarter/Amazon appear to profit from their existence.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 05, 2012, 09:35:24 pm »

I say let the internet hate machine deal with anybody who escapes the law. 
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1181 on: June 06, 2012, 10:36:46 am »

Which is why Somalia is the safest, most prosperous country on earth.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 06, 2012, 10:40:36 am »

Which is why Somalia is the safest, most prosperous country on earth.

Hyperbolic Example.  Also a Black/white Fallacy
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:45:53 am by Draco18s »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1183 on: June 06, 2012, 11:31:28 am »

I say let the internet hate machine deal with anybody who escapes the law.
   Just going to say I like this answer a lot. Have you seen what the internet has done to some people? My goodness I almost would feel bad about setting that kind of abuse on someone but in this case it may be justified.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 06, 2012, 11:39:30 am »

The internet latches on to a few very unlucky individuals. Thousands more jerks go about their daily lives unnoticed.

Anywho I support measures to stop actual scams, but not legitimate-if-wacky ideas. This thread seems dedicated to mocking, not pointing out scams, so the scammers seem rather irrelevant to the purpose of the thread. No Cavet Empetor here.

Though if we want to talk about actual scams with kickstarter, that's cool. Any high profile ones out there?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 213