Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 488436 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #2805 on: May 01, 2018, 07:07:23 pm »

Do we even know what Loki's holy symbol looks like? Helga from WAAAYY back didn't have a pendant or anything while Durkon had (and is still wearing) his holy symbol pendant.
We don't know what it looks like in this 'verse, but Deities and Demigods gives his symbol as a flame.  I'm not sure if we'd actually see that much detail, though.  The typical holy symbol pendants we've seen about are colored ovals. 

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: May 01, 2018, 07:15:29 pm »

But safe to guess it's a red/orange oval.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: May 01, 2018, 10:19:36 pm »

Do we even know what Loki's holy symbol looks like? Helga from WAAAYY back didn't have a pendant or anything while Durkon had (and is still wearing) his holy symbol pendant.
We don't know what it looks like in this 'verse, but Deities and Demigods gives his symbol as a flame.  I'm not sure if we'd actually see that much detail, though.  The typical holy symbol pendants we've seen about are colored ovals. 

Well yeah, given the lack of closeup shots of those which would provide detail they've been circular amulets/pendants with some colored jewel or something in the middle.

However, Helga doesn't seem to have one at all, that we can even see anyway.

Don't know about 3.5, but I've heard that the holy symbol can be anywhere on your person or anything that you're wearing, it doesn't have to be held in the hand. It could be inscribed inside the helmet or something for example.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:21:32 pm by smjjames »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: May 01, 2018, 10:35:25 pm »

Just a strange thought, but with how conveniently Helga showed up, and the power she's displayed(Along with lack of Holy Symbols...) what are the odds she's Loki pulling a fast one on everyone?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: May 01, 2018, 10:39:28 pm »

That would be...
Woah.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: May 01, 2018, 10:47:22 pm »

Just a strange thought, but with how conveniently Helga showed up, and the power she's displayed(Along with lack of Holy Symbols...) what are the odds she's Loki pulling a fast one on everyone?

That would be...
Woah.

He already did (on Hel at least, not the team), http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1106.html , read panels 2, 5, and 6. As Haley said, leave it to Loki to find a convenient loophole.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:50:07 pm by smjjames »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: May 01, 2018, 11:36:29 pm »

No, like, what if she's literally Loki in disguise.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: May 01, 2018, 11:48:27 pm »

If the gods could physically manifest, wouldn't Hel have done her deeds already? Or the other gods even gone down and stopped NotDurkon?

Pretty sure it was said somewhere that they did a pact that they can't physically manifest in the material plane or maybe they just can't in the OOTS universe. I'm sure theres some explaination for why she appears to be doing stuff with a lack of visible holy symbols.

editwhiletyping: Actually, remember in the godsmoot they could channel themselves through a high priest (don't know if it can be any priest who asks for the blessing)? Could be something like that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:50:15 pm by smjjames »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: May 01, 2018, 11:52:17 pm »

It would make absolutely zero sense and put the brakes on some important plot stuff, which is why it's really Loki's MO.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: May 02, 2018, 10:14:39 am »

This GitP poster found an image of Blackwing quothing something rad:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23036570&postcount=115
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: May 04, 2018, 11:40:14 am »

It has to be cleric of high enough level to cast Proxy.

As for Hilgya being Loki, I find that highly unlikely.
A) While Loki can transform into any creature or person, it is still 1 creature or person. Hilgya and her child are 2 people.
B) Odin and other gods could identify him if they tried.
C) He is locked up until Ragnarok.
D) If it was him, he would probably pose as someone, who could be there by accident, rather than calling attention to himself by telling the Order that he sent himself.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: May 04, 2018, 12:10:31 pm »

That's mythological Loki. OOtS Loki probably isn't Hilgya because that would violate the Domain Agreement that keeps the gods from spawning more god-killing abominations like the Snarl.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: May 04, 2018, 11:58:54 pm »

Mythological Loki is the one that's supposed to be locked up until Ragnarok, and we've seen a strup of him and Thor sparring.

In any case, I'm not sure they're allowed to even physically manifest themselves in the material plane, whether due to the Godsmoot rules or domain agreement where they can't block a clerics attempt at using magic of their domain and stuff.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: May 05, 2018, 04:41:59 am »

I'm not entirely sure where this theory of Hilgya being Loki came from. She's a perfectly valid high-level cleric, her levels probably enhanced by the Rival Rule(her levels keep pace with her rival's, just like Crystal with Haley). I don't recall seeing many clerics throughout the comics using their holy symbols for spells with a divine focus, only using it for Turn/Rebuke Undead.

It's just as likely that baby Kudzu is the physical manifestation of Loki.

Also, what was thought to be a holy symbol on Kudzu's shirt is actually a zipper.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: May 05, 2018, 05:19:13 am »

Oh hey. The second page in the comic, where the prestiege class, 'The Shadow Dancer' can use their ability. Are they going to make an apperance?!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 311