Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A way up....  (Read 1072 times)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A way up....
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:13:48 pm »

Simply put, I have an adventurer who is 60 z-levels below the surface, is leagues away from any civ, and is desperate to try and find a way up.  He has been looking for a way up for almost two weeks in game now.

What strategies, aside from traveling while underneath a civ site, have worked for people trying to find a way out?

wehll

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer stunned.
    • View Profile
Re: A way up....
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:23:09 pm »

Simply put, I have an adventurer who is 60 z-levels below the surface, is leagues away from any civ, and is desperate to try and find a way up.  He has been looking for a way up for almost two weeks in game now.

What strategies, aside from traveling while underneath a civ site, have worked for people trying to find a way out?
How did you get where you are?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:09:58 pm »

If you had to jump off a ledge to get down there, you cannot go back the way you came. All the caves are connected to the underworld in one way or another. If they are connected to the part of the underworld you are in is another queston. But if there is a way through a cave connected to your section of the underworld that generated a path without having to throw oneself off ledges, then you can take it back up. Good luck with that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mnijykmirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:15:25 pm »

Do what I did.  Look at your compass on the upper left and look for the cave symbol, and just stick to heading that direction.  Eventually you'll get there.  Eventually.  Then you can either travel out or look for the passage up.

You can drink blood and muddy water and all sorts of stuff down there, and there are often different bits of growing stuff you can pick up and eat so you don't starve.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:35:49 pm »

Do what I did.  Look at your compass on the upper left and look for the cave symbol, and just stick to heading that direction.  Eventually you'll get there.  Eventually.  Then you can either travel out or look for the passage up.

You can drink blood and muddy water and all sorts of stuff down there, and there are often different bits of growing stuff you can pick up and eat so you don't starve.

I have been sustaining myself on muddy water and blood to drink and different vermin and vomit to eat.  That isn't the problem.

I already tried to [t]ravel away after making my way back to the cave tile (that is how I know I am 60 z-levels deep) and I have been trying to find a way back up for two weeks in game.  The second thing I did was kill the dragon that lived in the cave that lead me to the underground.  The nearest civ sites are all elven and they are a long way away.  The only dwarven civ is literally on the other side of the world.

Edit: I tried it again and was able to [t]ravel away this time.  I must have been just slightly off the cave tile last time.  I am glade to be out of there.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:25:32 pm by PencilinHand »