Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3048 3049 [3050] 3051 3052 ... 10986

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13354763 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #45735 on: March 15, 2014, 11:51:26 am »

Something I had forgotten about, and just remembered... had to sit outside and wait for someone for a bit, on campus, partially during one of the major class switch time periods, so I people watched for a little bit. Little bit ago, either earlier this week or late last.

And, just have to say. It's one thing to know, intellectually, that there are major posture difference trends between genders in one's culture, and it's another thing to actually see it. Probably better than 75% correlation (more than three out of four, but not 100%), ladies had their hands in front, lads had their hands to the side, observation group of somewhere between one and two hundred, slight ratio bias toward female. It was... an interesting period of observation. I'll have to do it again when it gets up in the 80-90F range and see if there's an environmental variable... possible, considering this is Florida, and people around here think below 80F or so is cold.
That's because it is cold.

Said the Southern Californian.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45736 on: March 15, 2014, 12:41:06 pm »

This just in, Cript is the world's best batter.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45737 on: March 15, 2014, 12:56:19 pm »

So the other day I was on the bus to class. It's been warming up, and the ice on the river had started cracking up and floating downstream. As we're driving over the river, I see a flash of red, and look closer. There, bobbing merrily along, is a fire extinguisher frozen halfway into a block of ice in the middle of a river.
Gold, man. Things like this always make me wonder. For example, near my house, there's a high-hanging wire. On the wire, there are several pairs of running shoes, all tied to each other by their shoelaces. Were they thrown like bolas? Did the guy climb the pylon? One end of the wire is attached to the corner of a nine-story house's roof. Maybe he slid the boots down from it? It's awesome, I think.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #45738 on: March 15, 2014, 01:00:25 pm »

So the other day I was on the bus to class. It's been warming up, and the ice on the river had started cracking up and floating downstream. As we're driving over the river, I see a flash of red, and look closer. There, bobbing merrily along, is a fire extinguisher frozen halfway into a block of ice in the middle of a river.
Gold, man. Things like this always make me wonder. For example, near my house, there's a high-hanging wire. On the wire, there are several pairs of running shoes, all tied to each other by their shoelaces. Were they thrown like bolas? Did the guy climb the pylon? One end of the wire is attached to the corner of a nine-story house's roof. Maybe he slid the boots down from it? It's awesome, I think.
Often used to indicate there's a drug dealer there, at least where I come from.

In other news, one of my brother's friends is in his maths class; but said friend is from ~5 years ago, on the other side of the country.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45739 on: March 15, 2014, 01:00:49 pm »

Gah.

Sleep all day then get ideas about race tracks on mobious strips and thinking of making random insults with the insult generator...

Am I officially insane?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:29:48 pm by Iceblaster »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45740 on: March 15, 2014, 01:08:05 pm »

Seriously? Okay, but that doesn't remove the question of how he got them there. I mean, it's a real high wire. Like, seven meters. May I inquire where exactly is it used to indicate the presence of a drug dealer? I'm in a not-very-druggy neighborhood, AFAIK.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #45741 on: March 15, 2014, 01:14:22 pm »

Seriously? Okay, but that doesn't remove the question of how he got them there. I mean, it's a real high wire. Like, seven meters. May I inquire where exactly is it used to indicate the presence of a drug dealer? I'm in a not-very-druggy neighborhood, AFAIK.
I've heard that before, and I'm in one of the smaller towns around Liverpool.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #45742 on: March 15, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »

That was Johannesburg, South Africa - not the worst place in the world, but not civilisation's peak either. I guess if whoever threw them had a good arm they could have maybe whirled them like bolas?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45743 on: March 15, 2014, 01:20:39 pm »

Poor US cities, generally. And seven meters isn't that high to throw, is it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45744 on: March 15, 2014, 02:10:38 pm »

Well, maybe I'm not gauging the distance correctly, because it seemed to me that it was pretty high. I mean, there are like, four, five pairs of shoes there. On one side there's a road, and it would be hard to throw them to the other because you'd have to, well, stand on the road. So he must have stood there for hours, just throwing the boots over and over. Probably at night, because else somebody would have enquired.
And I'm in Russia, and I've never heard of that custom before. I know that weed sellers have a special kind of graffiti, but that's it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45745 on: March 15, 2014, 02:11:12 pm »

I think it's the aiming that would be tricky. Note to self: don't piss off drug dealers who've got any rocks laying around, apparently. They are evidently like hobbits.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45746 on: March 15, 2014, 02:16:15 pm »

I think it's the aiming that would be tricky. Note to self: don't piss off drug dealers who've got any rocks laying around, apparently. They are evidently like hobbits.
Either that, or they're just really damn persistent.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45747 on: March 15, 2014, 03:30:41 pm »

Nowadays, the "shoes on the wire" has become mainly an aspect of "gangsta" culture, completely devoid of the original meaning, much like baggy pants (which originated as a declaration of sexual availability in prisons).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45748 on: March 15, 2014, 03:41:42 pm »

The whole sagging thing makes me chuckle every single time.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #45749 on: March 15, 2014, 03:53:43 pm »

Nowadays, the "shoes on the wire" has become mainly an aspect of "gangsta" culture, completely devoid of the original meaning, much like baggy pants (which originated as a declaration of sexual availability in prisons).

Disputed heavily.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 3048 3049 [3050] 3051 3052 ... 10986