Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 844284 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3585 on: April 03, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »

Well my interpretation of "From the Getgo" was that you meant "At level 1"

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: April 03, 2017, 08:27:40 pm »

This is why vagueness is bad and explanations are good.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: April 04, 2017, 01:38:19 am »

Party went into a very rushed DF based dungeon that had been rushed through thanks to a bratty player (I had a talk with them and it won't happen again)

This next session coming up will have the party sneak into (and most likely fail the sneak part) the Duregar volcano, where they are looking for the rod of the first dwarf; an artifact I came up with.

My dwarves in my world are reclusive masters of forges and weapon-making. They aren't as inclined to seek the arcane, but they excel in the front of tech (as much as you can without being in Eberron).

All of their fancy weapons are attempts at recreating the rod's power. The rod itself could change itself to suit whatever needs the first dwarf, Durin, needed. The dwarves can only make weapons swap between two kinds of weapons (the switch axe becomes a hammer or an axe, the blade spear had a collapsible handle that could make it a long spear or a broadsword). The difference is, those weapons cannot be enchanted, but this artifact has one that grows with the weilder. And it can be used as an implement.

There is also an extra effect on it that allows the weilder to mimic the effect of a random magical item once every long rest. While I don't have the table yet, some effects will range from a +1 to armor and saving throws to summoning stuff from the bag of tricks list.

Oh, and the party will discover that the Duregar weapons are using a corrupted type of iron that was fused in with flakes of terrasque bone, as the Duregar dug too deep and found the terrasque' hiding place, and found they could harvest bits from it and it wouldn't awaken (scraping pieces of claws, etc).

The king himself would be clad in full gear made out of pure terrasque bone (it's a +3 non-magical scale mail) and would be an optional boss, as the objective is to get th artifact and leave.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: April 04, 2017, 01:58:30 am »

Prepare for the GENOCIDE RUN!  (At least if these were my players, not so much because they like to murderhobo, but because the thought of leaving a living enemy (that I created) behind them fills them with bowel loosening terror.)

Actually, I just realized how utterly insane the lengths my players go to in order to remove potential threats really are, among the standouts: Using demolition charges to obliterate an ancient ruined city, filled with amazing magical and technological marvels, in order to destroy a mid-sized (few thousand) army of skeletons; Using an orbital doomsday weapon to crack a continent in half in order to drown a shit-ton of vampires (RIFTS says vamps take lethal damage from water); Convincing an avatar of the GM to erase an entire universe for all time to stop an endless devouring horde; building a multi-national fleet of starships numbering into the millions to 'rescue' some captured family members from a despotic (arguably) evil empire of supernatural entities, and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Maybe I went a little harsh on them when we started gaming?  I didn't really kill that many characters or NPCs or anything, but they seem insanely determined to prevent anything like an actual 'villain' from coming into being in my campaigns.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:08:56 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: April 04, 2017, 04:56:39 am »

CHV (GM): rolling 3d6+6
(4+5+6)+6
= 21

Glorious melee combat with four-armed enemies is a hell of a drug. RIP Temurdai, you tanked some hits that would have one-shotted other party members even harder.

On the plus side, he went out the way any barbarian would want to: Enlarged, Raging, Blessed, and Flanking. 1d8+4 and 1d8+2 at a +7 to hit each. And he did even get to use the slightly ridiculous +11 acrobatics modifier more than once! No attacks of opportunity against this man.
Aw man, sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. I'm playing Amiri the iconic Barbarian in a Pathfinder game this Friday, and I'm sincerely hoping I don't end up with the same fate. I've got a Wand of Cure Light Wounds for her and a bunch of other survival gear, so I'm hoping I can face whatever comes up, but at level 1 all it takes is a lucky crit. Still, with 17 hp when raging it'd take more than 32 damage to take her permanently out of a fight.

Plus I've got a dog and a bear trap. There's gotta be something I can work with there.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3590 on: April 04, 2017, 06:08:50 am »

I'm not actually too bothered, it was inevitably his fate (flavour wise, he really wasn't scared of dying). He was a fairly strange Barbarian, only 13 con and no boosts from Rage (Savage Technologist archetype, 10pt buy because the party is big). 23 hitpoints total (level 2), which is enough to stay standing through most things, but already slightly injured from a previous fight, it wasn't great. Stayed alive but unconscious for a couple rounds, then in the most fitting possible of ends a stray bomb from the Alchemist (a fire-resistant Tiefling that sometimes forgets other people aren't) put him to -13. :P

I'm thinking of rolling up a Magus as a replacement, although I'm not sure it's necessarily very helpful for the current party/campaign. Or I might break out some kind of battle Cleric, if anyone has thoughts on how to roll that on a 10pt buy. :P

Good luck not dying! Justifying avoiding combat as a Barb can be entertaining.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: April 04, 2017, 06:28:13 am »

Combat cleric ideas (because it's what I'm doing): Mix of good Str and Wis, emphasis on the latter, a good weapon, maybe Channel Ray for selective Channel Negative Energy if you go that way...

Uh... Power Attack? :P
Black lives matter.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: April 04, 2017, 06:35:37 am »

Maybe consider a Warpriest. The blessings have an awesome amount of low level buffs, and you have access to the Cleric spell list up to 6th level spells. You also use 2nd level Fervor to get a swift action heal for yourself in combat. Destruction, Nobility and War are awesome team buffs, and Protection and Strength have great stuff for yourself. It's a compromise between pure Paladin and Cleric, without the MAD (multiple attribute dependency) that plagues Paladins and with more martial ability compared to pure Cleric.

Or just play a summoner of any flavour. Summoned monsters don't give a damn about your low character stats.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: April 04, 2017, 08:24:15 am »

That is something I have often wondered about in terms of a fantasy magic setting.  The use of magic to temporarily give corporeal form (similar to a ghost, but not the same as) to a powerfully imagined creature, or schizophrenic personality.  EG, "what happens when somebody with multiple personality disorder, uses magic to manifest that alt-persona as a semi-physical entity" at one side of the spectrum (extreme)-- and "I have a VERY VERY profound active imagination, and have created a narrative persona that can persist for short periods independently of myself when so channeled" at the other. (EG, JK Rowling might be able to conjure Harry Potter, having fully contemplated his character, ethos, appearance, etc-- if she had the magical ability to expel her inner conception as a physical aparition.)

Assuming a permanent link with the conjurer, (it actually is seated in the mind of the conjurer, not in the apparition it puppet masters), the "death/destruction" of the conjured form would only temporarily banish the apparition-- it would retain knowledge from each time it has been conjured, and grow more and more sophisticated as a conjured being, approaching the extreme version toward the end (actual multiple personality/latent personality) and may represent entirely different skills and abilities than those of the conjurer. Perhaps even seeking to find ways to free itself from the "prison" of the conjurer's mind. (such as via a soul-stone, or other form of phylectory, to serve as an alternative physical anchor to reside in.)

I have considered this a good long while, as for a time, I had considered creating my own pen and paper game engine that would feature such a basis for conjuration. (Where it would cover everything from a simple illusion or parlor trick-- (think magical ventriloquism) to actual "war summons", like the conjuration of an actual being of existential horror to cause unspeakable destruction on a battlefield-- and everything between.) I had considered that there must be a 'cost' to the complexity and capability of such a summon, such as incapacitation/trance of the summoner while active, or a sliding scale of such deficit, depending on the intensity/realness/independent agency of the summon.  For the ventriloquist, very little impairment happens, but the summoned "dummy" does not really have independent agency, and is just a puppet of the imagination of the conjurer.  In the case of "I summon my inner daemons to rend you apart", the independent agency of the summoned creatures taxes the mind of the summoner, and they have to relent to the agency of the summon, and are thus unconscious on the floor while it tirades around.

One of the consequences I had envisioned for this, if not properly managed or the discipline not followed with proper care, is the ultimate degeneration of the conjurer into absolute madness, as the mind of the conjurer cannot handle having the many minds active inside it that the more advanced form of this practice would produce with time, leading inexcoribly to the directed effort of either the conjurer or the conjured, to seek removal/scion of the conjured into an external construct, where it would act more like a golem-- and being free of its creator, and imbued with individual agency, rebel against its creator's whims, especially if misused.

I dont think any actual existing source book takes that approach though.

I had considered a few possible mechanics to deal with this, such as dividing the base stats and level of the conjurer with that of how many summons he sustains, and that when they are active, he does not have use of that portion of his stat score--  so that, say-- he has 8 int-- He either conjures and unintelligent construct (ventriloquist dummy), with an int of 0 (because it lacks agency)-- or it is some sliding whole quantity thereof-- with the extreme of "summon has all of the stat score, conjurer gets none-- eg, unconscious or unresponsive" as the other far extreme-- at no time does the conjurer+summon(s) score ever exceed the conjurer's base stat score. Being a conjuration, the "body" of the projection is made of magic, so its effective stats (STR, DEX, et al) need to come from somewhere/have some kind of rational basis based on the magical proficiency of the conjurer, but I never got around to that. Considered having it be level dependent.

I had considered having the strength/power of the conjuration be tied with this very deeply, so that the abilities of the summon have to be tied to the potential present in the conjurer somehow-- such as levels invested in conjuration as a skill tree. This way if the conjurer is only a level 3 of this discipline, the conjured being cannot have more than 3 levels of skills at its disposal, at the maximum, with the number of levels it has access to, tied to how "deeply" the conjurer invested this manifestation of the conjured being. (EG, how much of his base stats he imbued it with when he projected it.) -- a kind of thinking that "a thing can only be as big as the box that contains it" in this case, the ability potential of the conjurer.

Because the conjured entity can become wholly intellectually distinct from that of its creator/conjurer, the kind of relationship it has with the conjurer will determine weather or not allowing a full manifestation (conjurer is basically a barely breathing corpse on the ground with no defensive rolls at all) is "safe" to perform or not. (the summon may prefer nihilistic self-destruction over continued servitude, and seek to destroy the conjurer as soon as it possibly can.) Likewise, if the relationship is very positive, (say, healthy parent+child relations), the conjuration would honestly and earnestly seek to protect the conjurer, as it genuinely loves its parent.

EG, the conjurer may decide it is a good idea to lock himself in the top of a tower, conjure his most powerful summon this way, and be content to lay comatose on his bed behind a locked door way upstairs, while his apparition deals serious chaos downstairs-- the destruction of the summon does not destroy the mind of the summon-- it just banishes it temporarily, causing the conjurer to wake up with a start. With some cooldown, can return to the trance, and manifest the summon again, and again. Keep in mind, the summon is NOT the summoner, it is a projection of some alternative perception or imagined being of the summoner.

The desire to either be free of either "a psychotic daemon of my own making", or to "finally be able to hold my dearest child/sweetest love", would be the impetus for the ultimately impossible to avoid final stage of the condition, where the summon is either banished to an external repository (and possibly destroyed), or given independent permanent agency thereby, severing the link with the conjurer in both cases, and removing any direct will based control over the summon (and vis-versa!)

Not anywhere near ready as a custom profession template, by any means, just sharing that I had done some preliminary thought work into such a thing, in case anyone found it interesting.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:45 am »

I remember us talking about flying creatures "not being flat-footed",

Finally, the statement “You are not considered flat-footed while flying” means that flying (unlike balancing using Acrobatics or climbing) doesn’t automatically make you flat-footed or force you to lose your Dexterity bonus to AC; it doesn’t mean that flying makes you immune to being caught flat-footed.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3595 on: April 04, 2017, 12:33:05 pm »

Maybe consider a Warpriest. The blessings have an awesome amount of low level buffs, and you have access to the Cleric spell list up to 6th level spells. You also use 2nd level Fervor to get a swift action heal for yourself in combat. Destruction, Nobility and War are awesome team buffs, and Protection and Strength have great stuff for yourself. It's a compromise between pure Paladin and Cleric, without the MAD (multiple attribute dependency) that plagues Paladins and with more martial ability compared to pure Cleric.

Or just play a summoner of any flavour. Summoned monsters don't give a damn about your low character stats.

Warpriest miiight just be exactly what I wanted. The party is hurting for lack of heals and for lack of a frontline tank (especially so with Temurdai down). I enjoy being an impenetrable wall anyway. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: April 04, 2017, 12:45:23 pm »

I remember us talking about flying creatures "not being flat-footed",

Finally, the statement “You are not considered flat-footed while flying” means that flying (unlike balancing using Acrobatics or climbing) doesn’t automatically make you flat-footed or force you to lose your Dexterity bonus to AC; it doesn’t mean that flying makes you immune to being caught flat-footed.

Where's that quote from? Not because I don't believe you but because if I need to quote it for something I'd like a source to refer to.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: April 04, 2017, 12:56:05 pm »

It's from here.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: April 04, 2017, 01:33:04 pm »

It's from the PF FAQ apparently, I think this goes directly to the answer:
http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9u63
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: April 04, 2017, 01:42:52 pm »

Yes, I am sure the "paralysis causes instant falling, even for magical flight" mechanic won't be abused.. (Rolls eyes)

Oh, hai giant flying genie! Your desc says you weigh almost a ton, yet you magic-fly so high my arrows can't reach? I use the the equal of a flashbang to stun you at range, (with a lucky/loaded roll), which paralizes you momentarily. Guess what now? You fall down, go boomboom, cause magic flight works the way it does! (Trollface)
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 623