Hammer and its variations
- 17 (6.4%)
Mace and its variations
- 10 (3.7%)
Crossbow or other ranged weapon
- 14 (5.2%)
Scourge or other variations
- 7 (2.6%)
What Armok gave me! (wrestling, striking, and other natural attacks)
- 37 (13.9%)
Weapons that would make MacGyver proud!(explain)
- 16 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New best weapons?  (Read 3156 times)

Mnijykmirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New best weapons?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »

After two rather wimpy Adventurers finding their death, one with a warhammer and the other as a striker/wrestler, my third was an axedwarf and has had great success.   However, I'm not sure if it's because of the axe part, or just because he started with superior stats across the board except for memory and patience.  He became a legendary wrestler in a blink of an eye as he cleared out a Giant family, because wrestle is all that Giants try to do, so he can loot the place and get a superior quality bronze great axe and just skip the shield because the crazy chopping power of the axe seemed so effective.

He's since become superdwarvenely in all the catagories he started as superior in, instantly enters a martial trance if there's a crowd of creatures, and if he doesn't instantly split something in half he severs all the limbs of the creature so fast it's incapacitated before it even can do anything.  He's not even that skilled of an axedwarf

He couldn't hurt the bronze collosus but the collosus managed to charge and miss and fall off a cliff and die that way.

Like I said though it might just be the dwarf himself and not the axe, because he feels almost invincible.  I also want to say something on wrestling though- after you grab someone, if you're strong enough when you throw them so they can fly and hit an obstacle, it seems to be quite sufficient at killing even those unkillable creatures.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 10:18:39 pm »

I like punching things in the stomach and watching them vomit like mad.

SPOILER!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 10:32:49 pm »

Hacking weapons are the way to go, no doubt.  I suspect there is some benefit to bludgeoning weapons against armored organics, or at least there should be, but it's hard to get around the permanence of a severed limb (or head).  Piercing weapons have taken a huge nose dive since last version.  Wrestling still is the best when it comes to utility and control, and it still trains ultra-fast.

The new "fighter" skill is pretty amazing, though.  It makes cross-training weapons so much smoother.  I'm pretty damn impressed with the effectiveness of armor, since a fresh adventurer can basically take on any of the organic megabeasts and expect to win (with rational skill choices/not being an elf).

A little tip: notice how the combat messages will sometimes register an attack from the side/behind?  You may already know that these actions get accuracy bonuses.  What you may not realize is that you can dance around an enemy and get the same bonuses for a few hits.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 12:49:09 am »

Axe - max damage and killing speed.

Wrestling - a lot of dirty tricks to weaken your enemy.

Other objects - I personally prefer to use blood of first megabeast i kill, because i want to mix it with as many bloodtypes as i can, get name for it and sacrifice to Armok. Blood for the blood god!

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 05:28:31 am »

Axe- it lops things off quickly when made out of iron or better

Hammer- "you smash the human in the head. the skull is fractured and pirces the brain" must i say more? ;D

Other ;)- ohh you know. the odd *adamanine seratted disc* here and the odd artifact lead hammer there
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 07:31:38 am »

Axe- Hell yes, I just cut a dragons head off!
Hammer- Hell yes, I just hit a dragon and made it fly into a tree!
Corpses- HELL YES, I JUST SKWERED SOMEONE WITH MY CORPSE!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Jonesman64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 11:16:24 am »

I love the Axe! It hacks off limbs quite easily. Wrestling is handy for crippling certain enemies... (see breaking a sword masters sword hand). As for hammers.. I am severely disappointed. I had a human hammer man with super humanly strength and master hammer skill (smashed alot of wolfs). NOT ONCE did I send anything flying fifty tiles. Did this get removed in the new version?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 11:23:07 am »

Pointed out somewhere else - with the right combination of skill and relative size, a wrestler can pop heads off opponents.

I think this version really shines in that all of the weapons are useful under some circumstances.  I think I'll stop trying to delve into caves for now, and focus on starting wars.  Most fights under ground are "hold direction until dead."

EDIT:

Further testing does indeed confirm the viability of spears against heavily-armored foes.  Pitting two equivalently skilled and armored dwarves, one with a spear and one with a battle axe, resulted in one dead axedwarf and one completely untouched speardwarf.  I can't find a particularly good use for maces, but iron might not be heavy enough to deal real damage.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:25:32 pm by Bricks »
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »

I can't find a particularly good use for maces, but iron might not be heavy enough to deal real damage.
I've found that a multigrasped silver maul can deal major damage to armored enemies and significant damage to unarmored enemies. I figure that a Platinum or Gold maul would be even better, but I doubt any mob would have one.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 04:36:52 am »

I am cross-training my dwarf in all combat styles, I recently started using a whip, It works very well against unarmored opponents.  I almost always shatter a limb on the first hit which usually causes extreme pain/bleeding.. fun stuff.  I have had many 1hit kills with it too.  I think its better then shortswords but not quite equal with axes in terms of kill speed.  One more thing, I have yet to see my whip get a stuck in, which means you don't lose attack turns :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:38:40 pm by Pkassad »
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Dogmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 06:35:36 pm »

I find that a lead maul works well against People wearing armor. but I usually find using weapons to be quite boring compared to unarmed combat. Especially with the ranged weapons now that toady went a bit overboard with the nerf.       
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:37:29 pm by Dogmeat »

Yarn

• Bay Watcher
  • DF + SANITY = 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 07:10:57 pm »

Slashing weapons seem to be the most lethal, and random corpses are basically hammers that Everyone drops.
WE ARE THE DWARVES
LOWER YOUR SANITY AND SURRENDER YOUR MIND
WE WILL ADD YOUR LIKES AND DISLIKES TO OUR OWN
YOU MIND WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 07:32:39 pm »

I had to drop a vote in for spears. A quick thrust-and-away is rather handy against individual bleeding opponents, since spears are now exceptional at getting into deep tissue layers. Axes and swords might kill faster, but in terms of efficiently taking down a pack of enemies I'd much sooner hit and run with a spear than swing an axe around and hope I lop off a whole limb.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 08:15:35 pm »

Axes are by and far the best weapon overall, more so if the creature has blood/feels pain. Unarmed combat in all forms if just plain funny, if a little slow. But my third choice has to go to whips and scourges, for the sheer sadistic joy they bring. Out of all the weapons on this list, whips allowed me the most succsess in facing down an entire town of armed humans, falling only to the resident miner. Through the whip I killed their resident general, breaking her limbs and upper spine on the first three attacks. And this is good, seeing as I was running in circles around their tavern using hit-and-run tactics to murderize them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

tombthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • oddly appropriate name
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 09:32:56 pm »

axe is by far the best current weapon; less stuck-ins than the sword and the ability two kill an enemy before you die of old age. second would be the sword, though the stuck-ins get annoying quickly. and third is wrastlin': because eye-gouging and strangling are still awesome.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!
Pages: 1 [2] 3