Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems Getting a Modded Race to Declare War on Me  (Read 597 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Problems Getting a Modded Race to Declare War on Me
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:15:25 am »

So I modded in a race that trades in the winter and lives for 12 years. Based off dwarves, currently a WIP.

I'd like to go to war with them, but their short lifespan has ensured that their diplomats and liaisons died during world gen, and no one other than merchants comes from their civ to visit me.

I've also heard that abusing caravans doesn't always lead to warfare, only to decreased goods offered for trade.

Is there any way for me to get them to siege me in my current game?

creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

entity
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems Getting a Modded Race to Declare War on Me
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:11:22 am »

remove INTELLIGENT
and add CAN_CIV ,CAN_LEARN and maybe LIKES_FIGHTING
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:57:42 pm »

In the entity file, add religious spheres that are the exact opposite of the dwarves. They will hate them with a passion.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:45:42 am »

Thanks for the replies!

I will add likes fighting.

I did edit a language file for them to use, so I'm not sure if I want to delete language from them, and I don't want them to be completely hostile if there is another way. Doesn't the civforge mod contain neutral civs that have the possibility of waging war on you?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 02:16:52 pm »

Sort of.

The 'neutral' races in Civilization Forge (Dyansaurai, Hobgoblins, and Frost Giants) all have ethics that should tick off the dwarves fairly often. So you have a slightly higher chance of them being at war with you then some of the friendlier races like Humans or High Elves. However, I still rarely see them at war with me when I start playing (it's luck as to whether or not your civ is at war at any given time during world gen).

The only way to force civs to go to war with you is to either have them do babysnatching or to replace [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN], which takes out their ability to speak.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:45 pm »

Having either [BABYSNATCHER] or [ITEM_THIEF] on all of the factions you want to be (vaguely) friendly with (including yours) works. Seems like Babysnatching civs tolerate each other, at least to the extent that I was getting goblin caravans with not much in.

Everyone is all STOP STEALING BABBYS and they attack you.

In all honesty you'd probably have good luck looking at the Orc mod for inspiration and advice. I've heard a few horror stories about early sieges.