Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!  (Read 92548 times)

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!
« on: February 19, 2011, 04:23:09 pm »

Welcome to Let's Play Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup!

Crawl version: 0.8 trunk

What's this game about?

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a free, tactical roguelike game of exploration and treasure-hunting in dungeons filled with dangerous and unfriendly monsters in a quest for the mystifyingly fabulous Orb of Zot.

How is Crawl unique among roguelikes?

Crawl is friendlier than most roguelikes. If something kills you, it will probably be something you at least expected and could have prevented. Crawl provides various tutorials, a well-organized manual, and an in-game help section. The goal is that it should be playable without the need for spoilers, such as a guide or wiki.

It also tries to remove no-brainers. For instance, in NetHack, you will be using, barring extraordinary circumstances, an amulet of reflection and probably gray dragon scale mail. In Crawl, you use whatever you find that happens to be useful in that particular situation, and many items have drawbacks. Overall, the game is well balanced.

There are a few other things. There's less emphasis on class ("backgrounds" in Crawl), though there are many. Your character is defined more by their skills, species and choice of god. Each species has aptitudes - skills they're good or poor at. Skills affect a bunch of things and is trained through practice.

The gods are another interesting aspect of the game. There are many gods. Each has things that pleases and displeases them. If you follow your god's conducts you gain piety. With enough piety, they give you abilities and depending on the god, gifts. Of course, if you piss them off they will punish you, often very severely.

What can you expect from this LP?

Reader participation. It's no fun if you just read, after all! So I'll let you and whoever else is inclined to post decide what I play. Don't get overly concerned about practicality. Just have fun.

There are 23 species (24 in trunk) and 30 backgrounds in Crawl. It's quite overwhelming if you're new to the game, so I'll summarize them.

Species
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Backgrounds

I'm glad I copy-pasted most of this stuff! Anyway, for each character you guys pick I will need their name, gender (so I know which pronoun to use), species, and background. If multiple people like a particular character idea, I'll play that one first. Otherwise, I'll just go down the list.

Don't worry too much about game mechanics. I will be explaining things as I go along. Would you like to play along with us? You can download the game here!

Queue (It's full! No more combos for now!)
Kobold Berserker
Ogre Transmuter
Sludge Elf (or Merfolk) Transmuter
Human Wanderer
Mountain Dwarf Fighter
Halfling Chaos Knight
Naga Stalker
Felid Monk of Jiyva
Mountain Dwarf Conjurer
Draconian Crusader

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:35:28 pm by Dr.Feelgood »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:26:16 pm »

Naw man, cloak of magic resistance/silver DSM.  There are plenty of good amulets whereas you're not missing out on much with a cloak of MR.

Anyway, Kobold Berserker.
Shoes...

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:07:15 pm »

I second the kobold berserker...preferably with the stabby kind with good evocation skills.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:14:16 pm »

Ogre transmuter. They suck, but so does life but they're quite fun. Especially if you survive long enough to learn Spider Form.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 05:57:10 pm »

Troll earth elementalist!

Uh... actually I'd like a Sludge Elf or Merfolk Transmuter since they're badass as hell, but whatever.  If we choose a spellcaster there'll probably be more player input than a melee dude.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »

How about human wanderer?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:49:29 pm »

MDFi, followed by FeCr. We must play dwarves because this is Bay12, and dwarves must always be followed by cats.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 06:55:59 pm »

Halfling Chaos Knight
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:42:44 pm »

MDFi, followed by FeCr. We must play dwarves because this is Bay12, and dwarves must always be followed by cats.

Can we at least do a MdCk? they're a lot more interesting.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 08:21:40 pm »

I'm currently trying my hands ad a NaSt. I'd be interested in what you'd make of it.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 11:31:43 pm »

Alright, Kobold berserker has the most votes (2), so I'll be playing that first. The other combos will be added to my queue in the OP. If/When this combo bites the dust I'll move on to the next character. I'll be playing the Tiles version, since it's easier for most people to understand.

That's it for this update. I wanted to explain the mechanics to those new to Crawl. It took longer than I expected. The next update will be faster-paced. :) I hope it wasn't too boring.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:39:35 am by Dr.Feelgood »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 11:38:41 pm »

Can I suggest switching to a short blade has fast as lizardly possible?

They're the most common weapon type (you find more good ones), they let you deal with hydras(they don't regrow heads when you shiv them in the eye) and kobolds learn how to use them ridiculously fast.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 08:44:51 am »

Can I suggest switching to a short blade has fast as lizardly possible?

They're the most common weapon type (you find more good ones), they let you deal with hydras(they don't regrow heads when you shiv them in the eye) and kobolds learn how to use them ridiculously fast.

The main problem with short blades is their terrible damage. Towards the end of the game it takes forever to kill stuff like giants and dragons without going berserk all the time. I prefer long blades and demon whips, but I'll use short blades if you want.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 12:34:37 pm »

I usually go short blades then cross train long blades soon after the lair, sooner if I find a nice one. Envenomed short blades are a really forgiving weapon choice through the early mid game.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 05:25:26 pm »

Welcome back to Let's Play Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup! We continue on our journey in search of loot, xp, and the fabulous Orb of Zot!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:40:42 am by Dr.Feelgood »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21