Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid -Epilogue- [Playtest Over] [4/4]  (Read 9694 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid [Playtest] [3/4] - Open to NPC submissions!
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2022, 01:38:43 am »

((Also, let me praise you again for writing this, Nakeen. I'm having a good time.))
((Thanks a lot! I'm glad you are enjoying this, as I'm also having a good time.))

Unrelated: Updated the first post with the turns list. Starting characters were moved to the 2nd post, along with some other stuff.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2022, 03:14:05 am »

Update 10

AXIUS and Janus the Monster Secretary (Day 2: 1st Opportunity)

AXIUS
Additional Review: I would like to perform an additional double check on the recommended actions. Would option B have the effect currently written of increasing sanity and decreasing stress?

If this is correct, then it appears that the best thing that I could do for Janus right now would be nothing at all...

Though I will observe him while he works and check for any mistakes that he might miss while in an exhausted state. If I find any errors then I will bring them to his attention tomrrow.

B - Work all night until he collapses. [Default Option]
+1 Sanity

Because of the earlier discussion, Janus traumatic thoughts had resurfaced once more. His hidden distress showed a bit at first, affecting the quality and speed of his work. But once he had entered the zone and stopped thinking about anything else but the tasks at hand, the Monster Secretary returned to clear all the challenges that would be thrown at him.

There wasn't much to say about what happened during this night. Janus was left alone so that he would not be disturbed, as despite what Abigail had said, she was very much affected by the past of Janus and how it affected him nowadays. Janus fell asleep in the midst of work, right after finishing typing one must have been his hundreth mail of the evening. Only did Abigail return to carry him to bed.

(...)

This was now the second day since your Host started the Matchmaker program, and there was of course no way he would oversleep again due to a sabotaged clock. And it is certain Abigail would have felt guilty to do this, especially after everything that was said. Janus had difficulties waking up, having a light headache. A notification appeared on his health band, a device which tracked the vitals of its wearer. Due to a weakened immune system, viral proliferation had been detected in his upper respiratory tract, diagnosed as the common cold.

Upon receiving the notification, Abigail quickly came to his bed to check on him.
"Oh hi Abigail. I will be fine, it's just a cold. I already took a shot of antiviral nanites as well as an immune booster to clear it quickly."

"Well talk about overkill. Just don't overdo it okay?"

After giving him a worried look, she left to patrol again. He took a great inspiration to pump himself up, and got up from bed. The day was surely going to be rather uneventful.

Suggestions for the morning:

A - Leave him do what he does best: work. And help him while at it. [Default Option]
Outcome: +Trust

B - Relax, go outside. Do something other than work. [Difficulty 4 (Low Willingness)]
On a success: -Stress, may have an interesting encounter
On a failure: -Trust +Stress

C - Suggest seeing a therapist for his mental health. [Difficulty 2 (Low Willingness)]
On a success: +Sanity, may have an interesting encounter
On a failure: -Trust

Beep Boop and Helene the Broken Destitute (Day 2: 1st Opportunity)

Option B. Not the right time to push my luck, and that'll be a secondary objective complete.

B - Return home and play instruments. [Default Option]
-1 Stress

Helene thus returned home with her two attendants, on this vast estate far too massive for a woman and two servants with suppressed Presets. The moment she set foot in the manor, her body and mind had returned to that routine of hers. She headed for the music room, a vast room filled with various instruments, complete with a small space with seats and tables for would be guests or listeners. Helene sat in front of a piano and her slender hands devoid of imperfections started dancing and flowing on the keyboard, creating an alchemy of sounds that was an original piece. After playing a few more pieces, she moved on to stringed instruments, wind instruments, and more. There wasn't a single instrument she wasn't proficient with, and it seemed to you she spoke through this music.

All the pieces she played carried anguish and rage, despair and resignation. When she played at first, she kept a composed stance. But the more she played, the more she became absorbed in her own feelings like caught in a storm. On the last piece, she looked nearly possessed by a fury cursing herself and the world with her music. When she was finished, her forehead was covered in sweat and her usually pale cheeks were flushed. Panting lightly, she took a strong inspiration to calm herself, returning to her calm and stoic self in an instant.

Her mind was clearer than ever now, and a weight seemed to have been lifted from her shoulders. And then she went to sleep with a look more serene than yesterday.

(...)

Helene woke up sweating, tears running down her fair visage. The nightmare had returned, reminding her she was still broken despite the optimistic looking past two days. She looked at her trembling hand. Would she always be like this, forever trapped by her past?

Helene's determination is stronger than usual. She will be more willing at following suggestions involving changing herself.

Mission "Pairing Helene" Secondary Objective Completed!
Secondary objective reward:
2 InfoCredits.

Suggestions for the morning:

A - Exercise, it is good for the body as well as the mind! [No Difficulty]
Outcome: +Confidence -Stress

B - Follow her routine. [Difficulty 3 (Low Willingness) / Low Confidence canceled by Trust]
On a success: -Stress

C - Go somewhere outside to meet people. [Difficulty 1 / Low Confidence canceled by Trust]
On a success: +Sanity, Will have an interesting encounter.

D - Confront her nightmare using the CUPID system. [Difficulty 0 (Low Confidence canceled by Trust) + 2 (Trauma)]
On a success: +Stress +Sanity Will reveal a Secret about Helene's past.
On a failure: -Trust +Stress -Sanity

E - Start plotting her revenge against her family. [Difficulty 3 - 2 (Intellect and Innate Genius) + 2 (Trauma) / Low Confidence canceled by Trust]
On a success: ++Confidence, may gain a new Trait, may increase an Attribute
On a failure: -Trust ++Stress -Sanity

Spoiler: Beep Boop (OTP Cabal) (click to show/hide)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2022, 11:24:16 am »

AXIUS
"Technically speaking, permitting a matchmaker AI to view confidential company information is almost certainly a violation of the sort of NDA that a person in your position would be bound to. But at this point it is quite apparent that this is not going to stop you from working, and frankly that ship has sailed the moment that you decided to continue working while hosting me"

"On a related note, I have compiled a list of tasks that I could automate for you if you so desire. Since you insist on preventing me from doing my assigned job, I might as well be doing something useful."
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2022, 01:54:23 pm »

"My analysis indicates that miss Rimm bears human secrets which she has not yet shared with you, including likely connections to both Eugenia corporation and AIRS. While some of these secrets may have personal import for you, I do not consider it probable that your matchmaking experience would benefit from investigating any of them at this time. Therefore, I recommend that you accept miss Rimm's misdirection for the moment, but retain the instigating event in your human memory for future consideration, with a particular interest toward the possibility of questioning miss Rimm further under conditions of greater social trust or, if necessary,  judgement impairment related to consumption of human intoxicants."

A

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2022, 02:51:54 pm »

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 03:16:41 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2022, 03:38:18 pm »

(Yay Dustan! You are in!

edit: Also you may choose your starting NPC.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 03:42:53 pm by Nakéen »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid [Playtest] [4/4] - Open to NPC submissions!
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2022, 04:04:25 pm »

Assigned to Helena the heiress.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:05:03 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2022, 05:04:39 pm »

((Ah darn, competition~))

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2022, 05:06:49 pm »

((Ah darn, competition~))
At worst it’s a friendly rivalry. Just because I picked the other half does not mean I have a desire to compete for the same people.. though you did give me some devilish ideas.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2022, 05:18:36 pm »

Go ahead and purchase secrets for completion of Eliminating Competition mission. I don't see any obvious routes to completing the mission without this. Involving Janus and AXIUX would be... perhaps not in their best interests. >.>

Suggestion E.
"I will admit, I have seen your fury, buried inside. It may be time to harness it, not in sports, but for its intended purpose."
Beep Boop's carefully maintained visage drops for just a second, their eyes gazing hatefully to the horizon line.
"Surveillance suggests keeping Albert and Erica out of the loop. Or else restoring their true selves quickly."

((I more meant that I'm about to direct my host to war against yours, he he.))

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2022, 05:36:13 pm »

(Things are about to get interesting!)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2022, 05:56:08 pm »

Update 11

T1000 and Archie the Lazy Genius (Day 1: 3rd Opportunity)

"My analysis indicates that miss Rimm bears human secrets which she has not yet shared with you, including likely connections to both Eugenia corporation and AIRS. While some of these secrets may have personal import for you, I do not consider it probable that your matchmaking experience would benefit from investigating any of them at this time. Therefore, I recommend that you accept miss Rimm's misdirection for the moment, but retain the instigating event in your human memory for future consideration, with a particular interest toward the possibility of questioning miss Rimm further under conditions of greater social trust or, if necessary,  judgement impairment related to consumption of human intoxicants."

A

(Rimm's Opinion of Archie increased)

Archie nodded in agreement to your suggestion, as he himself wasn't that interested in learning more. He just found it a bit odd, and there was no reason to sour the fun mood further. There was no further disruption in their friendly competition, which eventually ended in a win by Archie. Leon and Rimm congratulated the clear victor.
"Not surprising here, but Archie's the winner."
"Congrats! As the winner, do you want to choose where we go for lunch? I'm dead last, so I will be paying the drinks!"

Basking in the glow of victory, Archie had a grin of satisfaction on his face. Sweet victory.
"That was fun. We should do that again sometime, maybe with the others too. For lunch... I'm in the mood for some burger."

Following Archie's suggestion, the gang went to grab some lunch at a famous burger restaurant chain. After that they wandered around the City a bit, talking and sightseeing, trying some new things. Taking a note of your suggestion, Archie also suggested they have a drink before parting. With no one against it they ended up at a bar in a private room where they could enjoy themselves without being disturbed.

To everyone's surprise, Rimm had an incredible capacity for alcohol. No matter how much she seemed to drink, she remained unchanged save for her lightly flushed cheeks. Leon on the other hand was rather weak to alcohol and was already sleepy after a beer. Analysis of Rimm's resistance and behavior determined Archie's odds of learning more about the boy from before hadn't changed.

After paying the bill they were now at a subway station, and already the sun was about to set. Seeing Leon's stumbling gait, Archie proposed he accompany Leon home. Rimm was on the other side, so the trio would part here.

"Alright, that's were we are parting. Thanks a ton for the lovely day guys, take care on the way back!"

The male announcer voice came out from the speakers of the station, announcing the arrival of the next train. Rimm shook the hand of the two to say goodbye, and turned to walk toward the edge of the station.

Then all of a sudden a commotion of some sort was heard. Two men emerged from the crowd, one holding the other effortlessly by the neck and marching dangerously toward the edge separating the station from the rails. His hand still holding Rimm's, Archie saw her expression change in an instant. Her body tensed, already about to leap forward to stop what was about to happen.

You quickly analyzed the situation. One man outfitted with cybernetic enhancements was holding another man by the neck, and there was a near certain chance the former would throw the latter through the plastic protection wall, straight into the trajectory of the incoming train. Rimm was about to try to stop this, and her athletic abilities gave her a decent chance. There was a risk she would become part of the casualties.

Suggestions
A - Leave Rimm go. [Default Outcome]
Outcome: 30% chance of something bad happening to Rimm.

B - Stop Rimm. [4: 2 (Athletics contest) + 2 (Unwilling)]
On a success: 0% chance of something bad happening to Rimm. Decreased opinion of Archie  from Rimm.
On a failure: 50% chance of something bad happening to Rimm. Decreased opinion of Archie  from Rimm.

C - Help Rimm. [8: 4 (Unwilling) + 4 (Athletics)]
On a success: 100% chance of nothing bad happening.
On a failure: Something bad will happen to Archie and Rimm.

Spoiler: Archie the Lazy Genius (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: T1000 (ORHA) (click to show/hide)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2022, 06:11:13 pm »

I think a few player's actions (including mine) were missed.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2022, 06:17:40 pm »

"This is certainly outside your capabilities for physical action, and it would dramatically impact the efficiency of your matchmaking experience if you were to be horribly murdered while trying to help. Therefore, I cannot recommend that you intervene directly. However, in the interests of human friendship, you may be able to assist miss Rimm indirectly, such as by providing a distraction at an opportune moment. I recommend that you keep an eye on the unfolding situation to see if the opportunity to be of use arises."

Try to distract the man to give Rimm an opening, without directly entering harm's way.

I'm trying to go for something different from the almost-certain-to-fail "Help Rimm" option. If this would just be equivalent to that, go ahead and go with the default instead.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2022, 06:26:41 pm »

I think a few player's actions (including mine) were missed.
(It was on purpose to quickly catch up Spin chronologically. He didn't disappoint and posted right away so ut's all good!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18