Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12106 12107 [12108] 12109 12110 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14855535 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Malvinas doesn't bother anyone in England because:
[1]Too much ironic shitposting about malvinaaaaaas just makes it funny
[2]We won the war
Obligatory

If you want to annoy the English just imitate their accent while talking about how you love soccer too
[RAF laughter intensifies]
Generally speaking you don't punch gurkhas in the face if you value having hands
Could this Yank get some context, please?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile

There are a fuckton of ways to annoy a French guy, and the one shown here is actually a rather mild one. One that works really, really well is the good old surrendering stereotype.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Malvinas doesn't bother anyone in England because:
[1]Too much ironic shitposting about malvinaaaaaas just makes it funny
[2]We won the war
Obligatory

If you want to annoy the English just imitate their accent while talking about how you love soccer too
[RAF laughter intensifies]
Generally speaking you don't punch gurkhas in the face if you value having hands
I was about to ask the same thing, ninja'd.
I know I could look up "what even is a gurkha" but I want to hear your take.  I think they were in Age of Empires 3, as Indians, but I don't think that tells me anything.

Also that video is still equal parts tragic and hilarious.  What a terrible war...  Over oil, apparently?  The occasional memey "translation" breaks the tension a bit.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

I was about to ask the same thing, ninja'd.
I know I could look up "what even is a gurkha" but I want to hear your take.  I think they were in Age of Empires 3, as Indians, but I don't think that tells me anything.

Also that video is still equal parts tragic and hilarious.  What a terrible war...  Over oil, apparently?  The occasional memey "translation" breaks the tension a bit.
It wasn't really over oil; it was more that Argentina was a shithole. A new junta had just come into power - and the country was in a deep economic crisis, civil unrest, and humans rights violations by government death-squads fighting left-wing guerillas. Argentines have always claimed the islands were theirs, and one of the new heads of the junta thought reclaiming the Falklands would be a good way to distract the populace from the troubles at home and get some patriotism going. They never believed the UK would fight for them, which was their mistake.
Ironically the opposite happened when they got their asses kicked and it arguably led to the establishment of Argentina as a democracy.

The gurkhas are nepalese soldiers the British Army recruits and they are hardcore as fuck. They quite famously carry kukris. They're some of the best infantry in the world.

There was some weird propaganda the Argentines said about the Gurkhas as well. Stuff like they literally eat their prisoners, and after the Argentines surrendered the other British troops had to handcuff them to railings so they'd stop killing. It's bizarre. I must admit I can't imagine it improved the morale among the Argentinian conscripts...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

There are a fuckton of ways to annoy a French guy, and the one shown here is actually a rather mild one. One that works really, really well is the good old surrendering stereotype.

I think a better variant of it would be to point out that there aren't any French wine in France any more, only American.
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I mean you can offend a French person just by speaking bad French at them.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I think that's just Parisians

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

In a different place, I left a certain message.  Forlornly.  It was in my bay12 sig for a long time.
"You know.  I can't say."

Today I received a message in that place.  And a reply.  And another.

I'm not sure how to classify this contact.  But it makes me happy that I found them that they found me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Just had an idea about how to resolve the "high-cardinality categorical variable" problem for decision trees without resorting to artifically reducing their importance!

Just need to split the set into three folds, use first one for finding the best splits for all features, second one for selecting the feature for splitting that best performs on it (which cuts out the extraneous variables like "row/column number", date of trial, or other similar ones that perform really good in training but are awful in practice, by testing them in "practice" during the learning process itself), and the third one to determine the proportion in which the data should be divided into these first and second parts.

It's a shame that I don't actually need to solve this problem, and most likely will never have to for the rest of my life, since decision trees are kinda obsolete for most practical purposes other than teaching, but it's still kinda cool that it's so simple.

Now I only need to solve the "high number of input features, period" problem, and then I'll be set in fully optimizing a thing that's not actually needed anymore! Yay...

EDIT: You know, I think it may not actually be possible to solve that second problem, but that's irrelevant - it looks like it only starts to appear when number of features is somewhere about exponential to the number of data points, which should, realistically, never happen.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:07:23 am by Sergarr »
._.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's hard to not offend Parisians, regardless what you're saying to them. I wonder what would happen if there was a vote to make Paris a city-state and move the French capital to Lyon or something.
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

It's hard to not offend Parisians, regardless what you're saying to them. I wonder what would happen if there was a vote to make Paris a city-state and move the French capital to Lyon or something.
I think that was tried in 1940 and it didnt end well.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that was tried in 1940 and it didnt end well.

vote

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

vote
[/quote]

Firstly, that quote technically isn't from yourself.

Secondly, I don't get it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Had a sudden realization of how awesome I am as I walkedstrode into the supermarket earlier. Melted away my anxiety and confusion and left me feeling quite buoyant. It was as though the well-rested, energized wellness I've been feeling lately suddenly made a return after ebbing somewhat over the past day or two.

I actually wasn't feeling too great for a lot of today. Too much brain-stuff going on, I think. Worries. Hopes. Relationships. Creeping dreads. Unlikely aspirations. All of those sort of things, all smashing around against one another in there. But then, as I hesitantly crept into the supermarket in the hopes of acquiring something to eat, I passed a couple of hippies at the entrance. I was feeling rather anxious (which was upsetting, since I have been mostly free of anxiety for a while now), but then for some reason after I shuffled past them and into the store the thought occurred to me that I probably seemed rather cool to them, with my hair and the moss thriving on the sleeves of my jacket.

And then I realised that, more importantly, I thought I seemed pretty damn cool, with my hair and the moss and my boots and my wonderful, beautiful mind full of brilliance. And all of a sudden the meaningless soup of shit that had been boiling unpleasantly about in my brain-folds quieted down, its ingredients all seeming rather less important and problematic considering just how not-bad my life really is, when I think about it logically.   

...Wow, what a nonsensical ramble that was. Sorry. Or not sorry? I'm having a hard time finding reasons to apologize for feeling good right now.
I was starting to worry that the weird, happy feeling caused by my new, less-awful sleeping habits was wearing off, but now it's back and this is good. ^-^   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 12106 12107 [12108] 12109 12110 ... 13312