Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory  (Read 26334 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Slay the Spire - Deck-building to Death or Glory
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2020, 04:54:30 pm »

I reached the fourth boss with a Watcher cycling deck, but lost due not getting it up to speed quickly enough.

Empty Body, Empty Mind, Evaluate, Fear No Evil, Flurry of Blows, Inner Peace, Study. I had other cards, of course, but these were the core of my strategy.

Once you have a good supply of Insights, these cards should make an indefinite loop for energy, damage, block and card draws. I didn't draw the right cards to get the loop going, so I failed. Did I miss a rare card or maybe a relic to make it actually viable? I had about 25 cards, which might have been too many.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2020, 06:06:25 pm »

I'd like to try Unceasing Top and Deva Form. One is mostly useless because you don't have enough energy to play the infinite cards. One is mostly useless because you don't have enough cards to use the unreasonably-high amount of energy. Together they fight crime.

But I came to post that an upgraded Talk to the Hand is hilarious against the Guardian. You gain 3 shield for attacking, then take 3 damage from the sharp hide. Against the version without sharp hide, you only need 1 block to cover most of the 5x4 damage.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:43:16 pm by Iduno »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2020, 06:42:05 pm »

Deva form could work well wth Conjure Blade, which works great with Talk to the Hand, which gets hard countered by mobs/bosses with artifacts whic...wait a minute... they are already dead.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2020, 08:01:06 pm »

I just figured out the third character's symbol isn't a bear with a ball in its mouth.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2020, 10:35:28 am »

I've been stuck on ascension 8 with watcher and defect for a while, and have given up advancing them for now. Ascension 10 with ironclad just isn't coming together for me either, but Silent is only sometimes struggling as I just got through ascension 14. It makes sense that the most difficult to unlock characters are more difficult, but the watcher surprised me with how difficult she is.

The silent has snecko skull, so a defense and poison deck is really good when the RNG is nice enough to provide it.

Edit: I just got snecko skull in the second room of ascension 15. Now I just need to survive long enough to start accumulating sources of poison, and thin out non-poison attacks.

I just hit the 3rd boss with riddle with holes (3 damage 5 times), with the envenom power (+1 poison per unblocked hit), and snecko skull. With my strength that's 30 damage plus 10 poison. Not bad for 2 energy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:50:55 am by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2020, 11:45:05 am »

I just got to the room where vampires offer to replace all of your strikes with 4 bites (~strikes that also heal you 2 when used) in exchange for some of your max health, and I had 4 strikes left and less than half health, so I agreed.

The next room gave me a striking dummy (all strikes +3 damage).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2020, 04:37:36 pm »

Gotta' love it when the RNG gets cheeky.

On the bright side, though, then you had bites which are probably better than even upgraded strike dummy strikes. Now you can stall your way to a full heal a bunch and be happy :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2020, 09:13:32 am »

Gotta' love it when the RNG gets cheeky.

On the bright side, though, then you had bites which are probably better than even upgraded strike dummy strikes. Now you can stall your way to a full heal a bunch and be happy :P

It was 7 damage vs the 8 the unupgraded strikes would do with the strike dummy. So slightly better with the 2 healing, but I didn't have enough health to stall well. I killed one of the slavers on the second round, but drew no defense.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2020, 03:48:44 am »

Tried the Daily Challenge yesterday, I thought I'd just play it for a bit to unlock the custom mode (just got the game).

I started out with 50 cards, and not being able to remove any of them at the shop. Every time I got a new card, I received two extra copies as well. My thought was that this was just a recipe for deck pollution/dilution. Then after beating the first few enemies by simply drawing some decent cards I got a card called Mind Blast. I read the description and starting laughing like a madman immediately.
"Innate - Deal damage equal to the cards in your draw pile". This meant that from that point on I started with three cards each dealing about 70 damage. The only downside was that I couldn't play all three due to their energy cost. It didn't matter though, I started adding cards like a madman and was soon dealing 150+ damage per card. This became even more OP when I got a relic which made my first attack each combat happen twice.

I oneshotted every single Elite Enemy and boss. The only combats which lasted more than one turn were those with three enemies. It was just glorious.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2020, 11:18:20 am »

Tried the Daily Challenge yesterday, I thought I'd just play it for a bit to unlock the custom mode (just got the game).

I started out with 50 cards, and not being able to remove any of them at the shop. Every time I got a new card, I received two extra copies as well. My thought was that this was just a recipe for deck pollution/dilution. Then after beating the first few enemies by simply drawing some decent cards I got a card called Mind Blast. I read the description and starting laughing like a madman immediately.
"Innate - Deal damage equal to the cards in your draw pile". This meant that from that point on I started with three cards each dealing about 70 damage. The only downside was that I couldn't play all three due to their energy cost. It didn't matter though, I started adding cards like a madman and was soon dealing 150+ damage per card. This became even more OP when I got a relic which made my first attack each combat happen twice.

I oneshotted every single Elite Enemy and boss. The only combats which lasted more than one turn were those with three enemies. It was just glorious.

Yeah, there are a few cards, and the feather relic that are better with larger decks. Even the terrible-sounding dailies can be fun, but they can also be as tedious as they sound.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2020, 07:57:32 pm »

Played the daily with Silent that could get red cards. After Image + juggernaut. Every card played gives me 1 shield, which does 7 damage. Including free cards like rage (more armor) and adrenaline (more cards and energy to play more cards).

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2020, 12:36:06 am »

Hello there! I also play Slay The Spire, but I do wonder what's a good deck to win as The Watcher. She's the only character with whom I didn't score a single win so far.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2020, 03:20:57 am »

I prefer to play with wrath decks. Get some copies of that 0 cost aoe card, some draw and a couple reliable ways to switch between calm/wrath and you are good to go.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2020, 08:59:33 am »

Hello there! I also play Slay The Spire, but I do wonder what's a good deck to win as The Watcher. She's the only character with whom I didn't score a single win so far.

Grab a second source of leaving wrath (You want ~1/7 of your cards to get you out of wrath, because taking 2x damage will kill you. Tranquility being a retain mitigates this somewhat, once.), and some multi-hit or attack all cards. Devotion power with another source or 2 of mantra works well on bosses, I'd recommend the 0-cost blocks that also give mantra. Grab every +str item you can (which may well be zero). I'd also recommend windmill and perseverance, even if you don't get Establishment (cost of retains lowers by 1 each round they're retained).

Don't try to build a deck out of retains, because your deck doesn't get enough turn-over.

I reached the fourth boss with a Watcher cycling deck, but lost due not getting it up to speed quickly enough.

Empty Body, Empty Mind, Evaluate, Fear No Evil, Flurry of Blows, Inner Peace, Study. I had other cards, of course, but these were the core of my strategy.

Once you have a good supply of Insights, these cards should make an indefinite loop for energy, damage, block and card draws. I didn't draw the right cards to get the loop going, so I failed. Did I miss a rare card or maybe a relic to make it actually viable? I had about 25 cards, which might have been too many.

It looks like the loop generates energy from leaving calm? The relic that adds 1 energy every time you leave calm would actually be quite nice in that. The Bag of Preparation also helps set up that first turn.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:25:33 am by Iduno »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2020, 09:55:27 am »

If you're up for youtube vids, you might check out jorbs. Guy posts ascension 20 runs (most heart kills) more or less daily, and does watcher fairly often. Can see some examples of winning decks, some parts of the thought process/decision making involved in building and using them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14