Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 496078 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2013, 01:38:46 pm »

Intentional. You are not supposed to be able to target a creature's heart or see it in the body parts list. Piercing it should still work, you just can't aim for it. It's similar in vanilla creatures.

I could swear my "organ tissue" is functional, but I'm not at my home computer so I can't check

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2013, 01:41:47 pm »

I'll sign up to play.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2013, 02:04:45 pm »

I really have to appreciate well-written rebuttals you are making... If the majority of you feel this way, then let's rethink starting the language over. Sound up now, everyone who has an opinion. I'm not going to make it a poll because anonymous people shouldn't decide it.

Don't really care about a popularity contest mentality, as I'm sure if anyone wants to make a similar world where vanilla bodies and materials are used, it will be more popular and will kill this, but be so much less interesting. That said, I really don't want to hinder the creative effort by being a stickler about the "from scratch" stuff. It's facilitated by removal of materials... but maybe this would hurt it. Besides, it should be everyone's thread, not mine.

Suggest how we should go about making languages, please. We'll still face the problem with language words additions having to be added to every translation if they are added as turns go along.

I think you know what my opinion on it is, but we could have a compromise, too. If someone wants to create a "from-scratch" language file, they can. It just has to follow the rules that it doesn't look like monkey shit ingame.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2013, 02:06:28 pm »

Halfling, what were your thoughts on my Vegipygmy race? Looks good so far? :D
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2013, 02:26:28 pm »

Halfling, what were your thoughts on my Vegipygmy race? Looks good so far? :D

Looks good so far. Even though I haven't played Pathfinder, I'm all for two races of midgets fighting each other over rights to eat each other's bodies, and everybody needs a nemesis... They're both probably going to get creamed by the hundreds of murder machines eventually added, but so far, so good. :D

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2013, 02:28:23 pm »

Raptorians and Watchers coming up, will have raws up soon. I'm using most of your flesh material/tissue templates, Halfling, for the Raptorians.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2013, 02:39:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a Vegipygmy.  They're grown from Brown Russet Mold spores, which cause Vegipymgy young to gestate inside the host until he dies, at which 1-2 of them burst out of the host.  Their chieftains grow the mold on their bodies, too.

So, although mine'll be a bit different, syndromes will be a major part of their physiology! Not to mention they breed quickly and grow quickly.  Even if one or two are sacrificed to say, a dragon, that dragon might not be feeling too well after he's hit with their syndromes.  Nothing directly fatal, but annoying at least.

In fact, in Pathfinder Lore, they were originally developed by the Drow to serve as a semi-intelligent food source, but they gained sentience and rebelled. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:41:12 pm by Crustypeanut »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2013, 04:00:14 pm »

Hm.. apparently this 'no bones' thing isn't working out quite well.. just had a halfling kick a vegipygmies' head off.  o.O

*Edit* Or it could be THAT error.  You know, the part about not having any sort of tissue at all.  Heh funny error, that.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:05:28 pm by Crustypeanut »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2013, 04:35:36 pm »

I love how you guys are getting stuff ready weeks before your turn, genuinely. This thing will go places. Just hope you can bear the wait... unless BFEL/Sackhead/whoever's turn it is to maintain the raws wants to plug them in as they are when they're up. Which I see no reason not to do if they work, the main reason to have one person taking a turn at a time is the succession format, to assure stuff is tested before it's committed to, and also so we don't get multiple conflicting implementations and so we have someone to blame when stuff doesn't work (:D), not that only one person should get to create at a time.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2013, 04:41:01 pm »

I'm the kind of person who wants to test his stuff out before he impliments it, so having a few weeks extra is a good thing for me.  Plus it'll let me test all sorts of syndromes, get new plants, materials, weapons, and armor for these guys, etc.

Might also give me time to make Murlocs, which a friend of me wants to put in.  XD

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2013, 04:52:57 pm »

For the english words that every translation will be based on, perhaps we should start with the extended vocabulary mod's word file (thousands more words), since that way we can focus on adding things like the names of each custom race. Remember, unless you define no symbols, symbols are what define how often words show up in a language. I vote for a single LANGUAGE_WORDS.txt file but as many [SYMBOL] files as we need to give our races a unique vocab.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2013, 05:03:32 pm »

I myself was sort of wanting to add my "ghosts", pesky things based on the giant sponge that cannot be killed but also don't really kill your dwarves, just interrupt stuff. You would have to figure out how to wall them off or cave things in on them, probably sacrificing someone. To make it better, could convert something I did before to summon hostile armies to make a "ghost princess" that parks herself on the map edge and transforms random dwarves and animals into ghosts every x days until you kill her. Also, thermonuclear fusion man made of what it says. But it would really suck to have that in a world with only 5 other creatures, so not yet.

For the english words that every translation will be based on, perhaps we should start with the extended vocabulary mod's word file (thousands more words), since that way we can focus on adding things like the names of each custom race. Remember, unless you define no symbols, symbols are what define how often words show up in a language. I vote for a single LANGUAGE_WORDS.txt file but as many [SYMBOL] files as we need to give our races a unique vocab.

That sounds like it would actually work well. Questions, though:
- Are there actually utilities that let you create languages for that? I realized I'm too lazy to learn how to make one for Windows.
- Any idea so as to how to best deal with the problem of adding new words after some people have already made languages? We can't know the racial words needed before they're needed... always defining a subset of symbols for your race and being thus unaffected by later changes would work if not for the fact that any language that exists can be used for worldgen, I think.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2013, 05:07:51 pm »

Something else I forgot to mention. The Screw Pump workshop itself is hardcoded into the game and cannot be removed. However, one of the items required to construct it, is not. You cannot make a screw pump without an item with the [IS_SCREW] tag.

Just thought I'd bring that up, since, y'know. Someone's planning on adding undiggable aquifers. ;)
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »

PTF and maybe play once things get close to completion.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 261