Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 496330 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1320 on: August 06, 2013, 05:45:15 am »

How?  How big are centaurs compared to halflings? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 06, 2013, 09:07:42 am »

Halflings are cheaters and can hurl rocks at the speed of crossbow bolts, that's how. Centaurs have them outmassed, but a quick ranged volley can do a lot of damage.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 06, 2013, 09:31:48 am »

Would be interesting to know the actual velocity... it does not destroy a lung or crush the brain (although that may be due to we have working skulls now) like a bolt, but when aimed at an unarmored creature, thrown rocks can tear muscles, damage the stomach enough to make the enemy puke and even break bones on a lucky shot.

This was originally intended for flavor and to be a little pesky if fighting halflings, but it turned out to be an important ability for survival, as civilians throwing rocks at hostile animals that come near your fort keeps them nicely at bay, despite how almost all wildlife is out to get you and halflings will die facing anything in melee. So I'm happy I added that.

The bow on the other hand has, IIRC, significantly reduced projectile speed compared to a vanilla railgun crossbow and should not be as lethal, and the arrows are smaller. At least that is what I remember trying to keep in mind there, vanilla crossbows are a little much.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 06, 2013, 10:27:08 am »

Curently testing coconut trees. If all goes well (it wont) they will give a shell, wools, milk, coconut meat, and of cours logs.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1324 on: August 06, 2013, 10:32:07 am »

How exactly are you doing the fruit-trees? Do they drop logs using a material_template that is missing all wood-tags, so that the log cant be used as one, and is then consumed in a reaction to make the products and an actual log?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 06, 2013, 10:37:54 am »

How exactly are you doing the fruit-trees? Do they drop logs using a material_template that is missing all wood-tags, so that the log cant be used as one, and is then consumed in a reaction to make the products and an actual log?
Yes. though the game still treats them as logs so I made the procesing reaction automatic so you don't get a chance to use them.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

emeralis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 06, 2013, 10:59:32 am »

About the deserts.  What if you had creatures made of a sand-like material?  It was the first thing I thought of while reading.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 06, 2013, 12:04:31 pm »

If my turn ends tomorrow, then I'll have to leave messing with [FREQUENCY] and [BIOME] for someone else. Right now I have but one working cephalopod, though I can easily make several more, very different ones, quickly. I'll have to add my Megabeast later, if that's alright.

Been using my Daleks to test the world, since they only have 4 lines in their raws dependant on vanilla DF. They are not included in my modding contributions to this project, I'm just using them to test as compared to vanilla creatures they are quite overpowered. Interesting finding: due to the increased number of [LIMB] parts, they get fatal shots less often as these distract from the torso and head.

About bows: although vanilla bows need a nerf to not pierce through armor as easily, bear in mind the only armor we have so far is caps and chain robes. Arows should still be quite deadly to unarmored or lightly armored foes, though I have yet to test. You guys probably can speak from experience though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 06, 2013, 12:16:07 pm »

In this mod, playing adventure mode as a halfling, archery is actually possibly the most viable starting choice (discounting sneak-throwing) and I use it every time. So I can comment a little on the efficiency of arrows currently. The wooden ones are relatively bad at damaging even larger unarmored creatures - useless for fighting megabeasts, decent for killing mallards. You will have a hard time killing an unarmored formic with wooden arrows. I usually do not carry them longer than I have to. Ones made of metal on the other hand are very good at crippling megabeasts too, causing severe damage to larger creatures, but are far from insta-kill - actually you would usually use the arrows to cripple and then go in slicing with a scimitar which seems to be the most damaging weapon, removing body parts easily (not tested by any means, just feels that way in use), because killing anything with a bow takes a LOT of arrows.

Armor is very rare - speaking of, to make it less so, when you upload, could you add my halfling leather armors from that more leather tiers post earlier? So I have to say I honestly don't know how they work against armor either at this point.

Adding features you were working on but didn't have time to finish during your bugfixing turn is almost a tradition at this point. It just should work reliably at that point so we shouldn't need another bugfixing turn after the bugfixing turn :P

Formics, possibly due to their fast reproduction, tend to form large hives of formic vampires around villages btw. It's pretty funny. I once had a row of something like 10 lairs full of formic vampires. And you may have a lot of formics in just one.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 06, 2013, 12:31:36 pm »

Well, i fixed some of Kopout's stuff, so at this point the only thing on my errorlog is "Missing RCP_GLOSS:PAW," which is fine

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 06, 2013, 12:40:14 pm »

Adding features you were working on but didn't have time to finish during your bugfixing turn is almost a tradition at this point. It just should work reliably at that point so we shouldn't need another bugfixing turn after the bugfixing turn :P

Famous last words, aren't those?  ;)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 06, 2013, 12:51:26 pm »

I just noticed something in legends mode. At the top of the list, with the megabeasts and such, there is a unique version of every single one of our critters, who "began wondering the depths of the world in a time before time."

Without Forgotten Beasts, the game uses the creatures defined in the raws. However, most of them succumb to age. In my year 200 world, there's still a hydra cocoon, cart, palanquin, and storm dragon wandering around down there.

EDIT: Dirigible Antelope now have [MOUNT_EXOTIC] :D
I imagine people dangle from the underside, using the vestigial legs as straps.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:55:49 pm by HugoLuman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 06, 2013, 01:17:32 pm »

Presenting, the second Cephalopod!

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:MACTOPUS_HUGOL]
[DESCRIPTION:An enormous, landbound cephalopod. They plod through the grassland on eight thick legs, eating grass, shrubs, insects, and the occasional small rodent.]
[NAME:mactopus:mactopi:mactopus]
[CASTE_NAME:mactopus:mactopi:mactopus]
[GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:mactopina:mactopinans]
[CREATURE_TILE:'M'][COLOR:2:0:0]
[PREFSTRING:size]
[PREFSTRING:trunk-like arms]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ALL]
[CREATURE_CLASS:INVERTEBRATE][CREATURE_CLASS:CEPHALOPOD][CREATURE_CLASS:CEPHALOPOD_LAND]

[BODY:CEPHALOPOD_MANTLE:CEPHALOPOD_FACE:CEPHALOPOD_8ARMS_STANCE:CEPHALOPOD_BRAINS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CORE_MATERIALS_HLG]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CORE_TISSUES_HLG]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CEPHALOPOD_CHITIN_HUGOL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CEPHALOPOD_LAYERS_HUGOL]

[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
[NOBONES]

[NATURAL][BENIGN][HUNTS_VERMIN][GRAZER:200]
[LARGE_ROAMING][ALL_ACTIVE]
[BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND][BIOME:ANY_SAVANNA][BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL][BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_BROADLEAF]
[FREQUENCY:50]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:200:2000]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7]
[PET_EXOTIC][PETVALUE:600]

[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:8]
[ATTACK:BITE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:50]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:60000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:250000]
[BODY_SIZE:5:0:5050000]
[CHILD:3]
[MAXAGE:19:25]

[HAS_NERVES][GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS][GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:1800]

[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SELECT_TISSUE:MUSCLE]
[TL_VASCULAR:2]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:20:10 pm by HugoLuman »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1333 on: August 06, 2013, 01:40:19 pm »

I just noticed something in legends mode. At the top of the list, with the megabeasts and such, there is a unique version of every single one of our critters, who "began wondering the depths of the world in a time before time."

Without Forgotten Beasts, the game uses the creatures defined in the raws. However, most of them succumb to age. In my year 200 world, there's still a hydra cocoon, cart, palanquin, and storm dragon wandering around down there.

I had something similar once from a bug. The game uses the first creatures it finds in the raws, alphabetically. But what do you mean: Without Forgotten Beasts? How did you mod them out?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 06, 2013, 01:42:24 pm »

The game cannot generate random creatures, because we killed the body_rcp file. Therefore, no Forgotten Beasts.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 261