Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 496088 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1425 on: August 08, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »

Poison-coated blowdarts are super hardcoded. Only entities get them, and even then, only entities with [LAYER_LINKED], which governs most of the animal-men behavior of the subterranean animal people. The poisons themselves are also, if not hardcoded, very difficult to mod and would probably require modded EXE. Additionally, I want the effect to trigger in response to being struck--there are plenty of ways to unleash syndrome flavored goodness on creatures, but they all happen on offense. Not what I'm looking for here. :(
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: August 08, 2013, 08:34:11 pm »

Quote from: Zanzetkuken
Hey, Halfling!
Could I modify the start biome and biome support segments of the halfling entity to be grassland/hill oriented, rather than any land?  Thematically, it makes more sense for them to settle primarily in those areas, and players can still embark wherever they want.

Go ahead. "Any land" was intended to assure that they are always playable no matter what you do to the world and no matter how many weird races you add, as they were an intended "testing"/"vanilla" race as specified by the rules (one to be used to check whether the world is still habitable to regular humanoids)... But I suppose that will work too, rarely do you not have a more suitable place for a halfling to live than a glacier especially as we're not (yet) including worldgen parameters as part of this project anyway, and they're not choking on other civs yet either.

Oh yeah, on your debate about how to develop the world... first of all I think it's a pretty good discussion. The long-term solution to the problem of excessive deadliness would of course be creating lots of non-deadly animals. But if you feel it's urgent (I'm not sure, as we're not hearing that many stories of water strider related slaughter as player reports, but maybe that's because they quit playing after being slaughtered :P), then you could try persuading StL to nerf the original bugs a bit to create some less deadly species instantly. I personally have no strong opinion here, I consider it work in progress that could roll either way.

On the other hand creating lots of mammals for example could be done as easily as adding a few bodyglosses to copies of my HOUND. Or - add less deadly versions of things that you want to see nerfed. That's completely legit... by some standard. So for example if the toxicity of water striders is bugging you, add "poisonless water strider" copy creature that is more common and reduce frequency of original as you are allowed to. But that's one way to also make it so much more industrial and less lovingly hand-crafted.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: August 08, 2013, 08:50:43 pm »

I like the water striders all right. I don't think people have been going into swamps much in their gameplay, but the water striders are encountered often. Then again, since people have been playing mostly with the previous versions, they may just have seen hounds and mallards wherever they went, and little of anything else.

We don't really need to nerf the creatures we already have, we just need to dilute them with more relatively harmless creatures.

We could also use a non-insect common domestic wagon puller, as those poor pack-beetles suffer terribly during the winter or in cold biomes.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:19 pm »

Hounds are wagon pullers too (for halfling fluff). Or cart- and palanquin-pullers as it stands. You might want to add others though... It might be fun to try the dirigible antelope, but that probably shouldn't go into any release

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: August 08, 2013, 08:57:47 pm »

We don't really need to nerf the creatures we already have, we just need to dilute them with more relatively harmless creatures.

As I said, I showcased the big creatures.  I'm setting the wizard's cupboard search to a low power level, and using a fair amount of those creatures, as well.

Go ahead. "Any land" was intended to assure that they are always playable no matter what you do to the world and no matter how many weird races you add, as they were an intended "testing"/"vanilla" race as specified by the rules (one to be used to check whether the world is still habitable to regular humanoids)... But I suppose that will work too, rarely do you not have a more suitable place for a halfling to live than a glacier especially as we're not (yet) including worldgen parameters as part of this project anyway, and they're not choking on other civs yet either.

Thanks!  I was a little concerned about the spread of the Lizardfolk, since their limited to wetlands only, and have max site populations of 40 in world gen.

Hounds are wagon pullers too (for halfling fluff). Or cart- and palanquin-pullers as it stands. You might want to add others though... It might be fun to try the dirigible antelope, but that probably shouldn't go into any release

I can add a few green-color beasts to forests to serve that purpose!
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: August 08, 2013, 09:11:57 pm »

I like the water striders all right. I don't think people have been going into swamps much in their gameplay, but the water striders are encountered often. Then again, since people have been playing mostly with the previous versions, they may just have seen hounds and mallards wherever they went, and little of anything else.

We could also use a non-insect common domestic wagon puller, as those poor pack-beetles suffer terribly during the winter or in cold biomes.
I have gone to a lot of salt water swamps in my quest to perfect the coconut. I can honestly say that water striders are overly fond of murder-death-kill. Hounds back off when hit with a rock, water dtriders try harder to kill you. worse, they come in packs of 25
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: August 08, 2013, 09:31:16 pm »

I have gone to a lot of salt water swamps in my quest to perfect the coconut. I can honestly say that water striders are overly fond of murder-death-kill. Hounds back off when hit with a rock, water dtriders try harder to kill you. worse, they come in packs of 25

Looking at the code, I think I saw that the clusters are only supposed to be in the 3-5 range.  I wonder what is happening?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: August 08, 2013, 09:34:51 pm »

This is a known bug. I... honestly have no clue.

Maybe the game hardcode-style spawns "an instance" of a river creature in schools, since they're all fish. And so a cluster size above 1 is multiplicative. I don't know, I'm guessing.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: August 08, 2013, 09:35:35 pm »

@Zanz
Try and change up the MTG creatures some to make yours more original. While there's no specific rule, copying stuff straight from other settings doesn't seem quite... from scratch, you know? Heavily influenced is fine, though.

Of course, I can't force you, just a request.

For everyone:
When creating your megabeast, try listening to boss battle music for inspiration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgpYfCnLhAo - Thought up "The Carousel" while listening to this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG1R8rk-M9E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Yp3Pdo4ho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcBrqqrCJTY
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:41:21 pm by HugoLuman »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 08, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »

@Zanz
Try and change up the MTG creatures some to make yours more original. While there's no specific rule, copying stuff straight from other settings doesn't seem quite... from scratch, you know? Heavily influenced is fine, though.

I'll try not to use overtly direct copies.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: August 08, 2013, 10:10:02 pm »

@Zanz

For everyone:
When creating your megabeast, try listening to boss battle music for inspiration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgpYfCnLhAo - Thought up "The Carousel" while listening to this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG1R8rk-M9E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Yp3Pdo4ho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcBrqqrCJTY
Personally I like this music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZo6T_-14k
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 08, 2013, 11:39:53 pm »

Do we have any metal roughly equivalent in properties to steel? Or is everything either a) puny like meteoric iron or b) ultra-awesome metal?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 09, 2013, 12:11:42 am »

I forget exactly what I based Lunaniumite off of, but it should be in the bronze ballpark, I think.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: August 09, 2013, 12:27:50 am »

i have compiled some files of HugoLumans turn to create a obsidian graphics version. here
they are in .zip format.
and to all you foke who keep complaining about rar format GET WINRAR OR &-ZIP IT IS FREE SAFE AND EASY!!!
i plan to keep updating this to be obsidian graphics set compatible. I also plan to slowly create creature graphics as well.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: August 09, 2013, 12:35:19 am »

Non-windows OS exists

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 261